or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › carseat ratings? how do you choose? FINAL QUESTION: REGENT OR BLVD????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

carseat ratings? how do you choose? FINAL QUESTION: REGENT OR BLVD???? - Page 5

post #81 of 128
The boulevard rf just fine. It rf in our honda civic. It would be harder for a newborn where you need a laying-down angle, but after that stage it's not really that hard at all.

-Angela
post #82 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson'smama View Post
thank you all so much for your continued responses. I actually had a hard time getting to sleep last night based upon THIS DECISION. DH thinks i'm a little cuckoo, to say the least!
i submitted a thread on a carseat forum and got a few responses (specific to my child and car). oddly, one response seemed to indicate that i would have a difficult time getting the blvd forward facing in my subaru forester.
i anticipated it being difficult rearfacing, but not forward facing. Anybody out there with a subaru like to comment? Mine's a 2005, if that matters. I'm also getting a seat for an 05 subaru baja. We're planning to take the blvd out of our truck this week and test fitting it in the subarus...that just didn't make sense to me though.
I am making a trip to toys r us today to just peruse seats, but last night, dh said JUST GET THE BRITAX!!!!!!!! basically stating, as long as we know it fits, i can't imagine we'll regret it. But now the thing eating at me is this: my plan was to put the baby in the triumph. however, if i'm having to move that to the door instead of keeping it in the middle, i feel like he should be in a blvd too. problem is i don't think we can rf a blvd and still have room for a front seat passenger.
is it my imagination (seat height is making me think this) that a blvd is difficult to rearface? who's doing it now and in what kind of car? center or side?
thanks again!
The BV rear faced (center position though) in our civic too. IT was tight. Outboard it was very difficult to not have the front seat passenger too close to the air bags.
The absolute best advice is to try it. Just try it in all positions RF, FF, center and outboard and see. Some cars are funky and just don't work with some seats very well.
post #83 of 128
Quote:
How often do you perform a car seat check with a parent or caregiver, who has a Britax product and has it correctly installed and has utilized or are aware of all of its safety features?
I see maybe 1-2 Britax families at each check I do (I don't always get to check them, but I see them). I had one ffing MA come in 100% perfect. RFing parents never have the seat tethered and sadder than that, most of the people I work w/ don't know it should be! I've had a few non-Britax seats come in correct though as well.

Quote:
Unless you don't feel the need to keep kids in 5-point harnesses. My son didn't hit 40 pounds until he was 6, and spends less than an hour a week in the car. So we went straight to a booster.
My son started outgrowing harnessed seats in height at 2.5! We have to have a higher weight harnessed seat for his torso, though he did just hit 40# and isn't quite 4.

Why we use the seats we are currently using...

AJ is in a Sunshine Kids Radian ffing. We originally bought it b/c we were looking at having to put 3 kids in the back of a Taurus and that made it work. We also got it b/c he needed the extra strap height it offered over the Britax. He's almost 4 and only has about 2.5" of torso room left.

Evan is in a rfing Britax Boulevard b/c he's the only child who is outboard so I wanted the TSIP for him. He will go to the Radian when he ff and move to the middle.

Ilana is in a Graco Safeseat b/c when she needs a convertible, I have to turn Evan ffing so the 30# limit makes sense. She will move outboard to Evan's BV around 2 I'm guessing.
post #84 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
But did he still fit by strap height? I've yet to hear of a single child who outgrew a seat by weight before height.
Hmmm- we switched him to a booster when he was 5; the straps were still just above his shoulders then, but he may not have been 40 pounds yet.
post #85 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Evan is in a rfing Britax Boulevard b/c he's the only child who is outboard so I wanted the TSIP for him.
aaggghhhhhh...this is my problem. i wanted to put ds2 in our current triumph rf, but i feel like if i have to move him to the side to do it then he needs the blvd which i cannot imagine, though don't know for sure, would work in our car.

angela, you mentioned something a few posts back about rf the blvd fully reclined being tight for the front passenger, but only in the fully reclined infant stage. i thought it had to be fully reclined so long as it was rf? if not, when can it go more upright?

the toys r us experience was horrid today. they had an "expert" there to help me who basically dissed every seat but babytrend, which they don't sell, and graco. eddie bauer sucks, evenflo sucks, britax sucks, safety first sucks, cosco sucks...yadayadayada...and he was really going on and on about the consumer reports things. then he proceeds to tell me that while he is not a tech he has installed "at least 20 seats" in his time and that when you go get it checked at the fire station, they're going to rip it out and do it over just like you did it b/c ANYBODY can install a carseat correctly...it doesn't take a genius to do that. and THEN he tells me to NEVER put a lone carseat in the middle of the backseat, despite what a tech has told me in the past, b/c if you get in a head on or strong enough rear collision, the belt will break and send your child in his or her seat flying thru the windshield without the barrier of the front seats to block it, and c'mon how many side impact crashes are at the point of the back doors? like never, right? it was hard not to laugh at this guy and i feel like a carseat idiot myself. he was over the top. and to top it off, he was wearing a paper crown that said "it's my birthday" on it. toys r us now concerns me greatly that they have put this guy in management.
just had to share my experience...
post #86 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson'smama View Post
angela, you mentioned something a few posts back about rf the blvd fully reclined being tight for the front passenger, but only in the fully reclined infant stage. i thought it had to be fully reclined so long as it was rf? if not, when can it go more upright?
I know it can be un-reclined at some point, but I don't know exactly *when* that is. I'd guess 20lb (when they would "could" be FF and therefore would have to be upright)
post #87 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
I know it can be un-reclined at some point, but I don't know exactly *when* that is. I'd guess 20lb (when they would "could" be FF and therefore would have to be upright)
You can decrease the incline as soon as they're able to tolerate it...basically when they can hold up their own heads without them flopping every which way
post #88 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
You can decrease the incline as soon as they're able to tolerate it...basically when they can hold up their own heads without them flopping every which way
:

-Angela
post #89 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
I see maybe 1-2 Britax families at each check I do (I don't always get to check them, but I see them). I had one ffing MA come in 100% perfect. RFing parents never have the seat tethered and sadder than that, most of the people I work w/ don't know it should be! I've had a few non-Britax seats come in correct though as well.
While it's a great feature of the Britax seats that they can tether rearfacing, they aren't *required* to be tethered rearfacing.
post #90 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasciate View Post
While it's a great feature of the Britax seats that they can tether rearfacing, they aren't *required* to be tethered rearfacing.
The newer manuals seem to indicate they are.

-Angela
post #91 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson'smama View Post
oddly, one response seemed to indicate that i would have a difficult time getting the blvd forward facing in my subaru forester.
i anticipated it being difficult rearfacing, but not forward facing. Anybody out there with a subaru like to comment?

thanks again!
I have a Subaru Outback 1996 and I just installed a rf Roundabout and a ff Marathon. They fit nicely in my back seat and both are tethered. I installed each in an outboard position and I can still squeeze my buns into the middle seat- as long as I don't get pregnant!

Check the carseat specs, but if I can make the Roundabout and Marathon work, you should be fine with the Blvd.
post #92 of 128
Thread Starter 
OK, so i've decided it's gonna be britax. On here, many have seconded my possible decision of purchasing a blvd. However, after checking out a different carseat thread, there's alot of talk about the regent being the way to go in terms of longevity for harnessing.
This seat will be going outboard. Right now, I have a son going into it who is approximately 32 lbs and about 38 inches tall. He has not yet outgrown his triumph and in fact his ears are probably several inches below the top of the shell and the top harness slots are at least 1.5-2 inches above his shoulders. He is tall, but it's in the legs and his torso is "average" i suppose.
SO, I'm fixated on the TSIP of the blvd, but I'm wondering if the regent would be the better route. Since he's 2.5 and hasn't outgrown a triumph, would I possibly get a full life out of the blvd (i.e. harnessing him until he's at least 5)?
post #93 of 128
If he's 32 lbs, I would go with the Regent
post #94 of 128
I'd go with the regent too. Best bang for the buck. If you're MADE of money then I'd get the boulevard and plan to have to get a regent after....

-Angela
post #95 of 128
OK, so I'm ready to go Britax too. Now, Blvd has TSIP and harnesses til 65 lbs. My kids are 5 and 35 lbs so if they follow along on the "growth chart" percentile they've been on since they are a year old, they will be around 8 years old when they hit 65 lbs; and 13 years old when they are 80 lbs.

I'm thinking I should go with the Boulevards to get that TSIP. Sound logical?
post #96 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyTop View Post
OK, so I'm ready to go Britax too. Now, Blvd has TSIP and harnesses til 65 lbs. My kids are 5 and 35 lbs so if they follow along on the "growth chart" percentile they've been on since they are a year old, they will be around 8 years old when they hit 65 lbs; and 13 years old when they are 80 lbs.

I'm thinking I should go with the Boulevards to get that TSIP. Sound logical?

Forget about weights. I've never heard of a child outgrowing a seat by weight before height (rf limits, but that's it) It just doesn't happen.

Sit your boys down and measure their height at the shoulder. Torso height is what you need to know.

The will outgrow the boulevard by height, not weight.

Honestly I can't imagine it being worth it at 5 yrs old. I'd get the regent.

-Angela
post #97 of 128
Regent, totally the regent.
Though. . .since you have a bit of time left in your current seat. . .isnt' there another 80lb harness seat coming out soon? Maybe it would be worth waiting a month or two so you can compare the two of them.
Either way, a high weight harness is the best option.
post #98 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Forget about weights. I've never heard of a child outgrowing a seat by weight before height (rf limits, but that's it) It just doesn't happen.
-Angela
Um. It did to me. DS # 1's first convertible car seat was a Britax Roundabout. At 2 1/2 yo he was 38 1/2" tall and 40 1/2 pounds. Yup. And he's still huge...... DH and I grow them really big.... All I can say looking back is thank g*d the Husky existed.

DC
post #99 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson'smama View Post
OK, so i've decided it's gonna be britax. On here, many have seconded my possible decision of purchasing a blvd. However, after checking out a different carseat thread, there's alot of talk about the regent being the way to go in terms of longevity for harnessing.
This seat will be going outboard. Right now, I have a son going into it who is approximately 32 lbs and about 38 inches tall. He has not yet outgrown his triumph and in fact his ears are probably several inches below the top of the shell and the top harness slots are at least 1.5-2 inches above his shoulders. He is tall, but it's in the legs and his torso is "average" i suppose.
SO, I'm fixated on the TSIP of the blvd, but I'm wondering if the regent would be the better route. Since he's 2.5 and hasn't outgrown a triumph, would I possibly get a full life out of the blvd (i.e. harnessing him until he's at least 5)?
If I had a 32 lb 2.5 year old, I would go for the Blvd over the Regent. Yes, the Regent offers better value because it will last longer, but your child is still young, and I would assume he still sleeps in the car. The Regent doesn't offer much in the way of sleep support and littler kids swim in it as it is such a wide seat. Not to mention TSIP is a important safety feature IMO. FWIW my DS still fit in the Blvd at six with some room to grow and he was/is a tall (long-limbed) kid.
post #100 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
Um. It did to me. DS # 1's first convertible car seat was a Britax Roundabout. At 2 1/2 yo he was 38 1/2" tall and 40 1/2 pounds. Yup. And he's still huge...... DH and I grow them really big.... All I can say looking back is thank g*d the Husky existed.

DC


Yum! Delicious words, those....

-Angela
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › carseat ratings? how do you choose? FINAL QUESTION: REGENT OR BLVD????