1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of May.
3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
Hi,I'm Carol. Unschooling mom to 3 teenage sons, from Indiana.
Why am I doing this?
We're hoping to sell our house this summer. We're in the process of cleaning it up and de-cluttering it and its made me realize we have waaaaayyy to much junk. I look at the piles of stuff and just cringe at how much $$ down the drain it represents. I'm trying to figure out the "why" to why we've wasted so much $$ on so much junk over the past couple of years.
I think we (the kids and I) go shopping cause we're just plan bored. I hate where we live, we're out in the 'burbs with nowhere to go and nothing fun to do. So, we jump in the car and go shopping to break the monotony. Sooooo, we're trying to come up with things to do to keep us out of the stores and keep us busy. Cleaning and fixing up the house to sell is a big project,so that's our main goal for the month of may.
I'm also trying to shop less at the big chain stores and much more locally. I started this a few weeks ago and I already notice a big difference in our food budget AND in how much "stuff" we bring home. For instance, I am totally out of plastic shopping bags. I save them and use them for trash bags or dogpoop patrol, and I noticed a couple of days ago there are NONE left in the house at all. Usually my holder is overflowing with them.
ok, so i guess my short version would be
1. stay out of the chain stores
2. shop local as much as humanly and budgetairly possible.
so far day one,