or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › am i wrong? baby sleeping outside
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

am i wrong? baby sleeping outside - Page 2

post #21 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post
Nothing strange about it--most of northern Europe does this.

It makes me so sad how fearful the U.S. is--we live in one of the safest societies in the world (despite what the media wants us to believe). It sounds like you're doing great!

ICAM
post #22 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post
Nothing strange about it--most of northern Europe does this.

It makes me so sad how fearful the U.S. is--we live in one of the safest societies in the world (despite what the media wants us to believe). It sounds like you're doing great!
AMEN SISTAH!!!!!!!! You are sooo right!!
post #23 of 166
I would have no problem doing what you do.

Fresh air is very important

And with your old man busybody they should be safe enough
post #24 of 166
depending upon babies being in strollers, car seats, bouncy seats, etc., outside and if out of sight for any length of time, i would consider the what-ifs of neighborhood cats, dogs, squirrels, birds and raccoons happening upon the babies, too.
post #25 of 166
This was very common when I lived in Ireland, and considered very healthy. I don't think they do it much there anymore though, because US-style paranoia is becoming common there too.

I would move them to the back yard, not because I think they are in any danger, but because some nosy parker is bound to call CPS on you. It sucks, but that's our society.
post #26 of 166
Before we moved I left my daughter sleeping in the car all the time and went into the house. Honestly there hasn't been an abduction in our town for maybe over a 100 years. I don't like paranoia.

What are the chances that someone is trolling the neighborhood looking for a baby to steal, just happens on yours, comes up a long driveway without you noticing from inside your screen door, grabs babies and makes it alll the way down the drive again? Pretty slim I would say.

I would be more worried about the neighbor making trouble though.
post #27 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post
Nothing strange about it--most of northern Europe does this.

It makes me so sad how fearful the U.S. is--we live in one of the safest societies in the world (despite what the media wants us to believe). It sounds like you're doing great!
:

I think if your gut tells you they are safe and you are within earshot/line of vision then you should follow your gut. HOWEVER, I'd be very wary of that neighbor and CPS involvement at this point so I'd probably not do it for that reason.

I also agree with the pps that said it's a common thing in Europe, babies nap in the garden!
post #28 of 166
Quote:
What are the chances that someone is trolling the neighborhood looking for a baby to steal, just happens on yours, comes up a long driveway without you noticing from inside your screen door, grabs babies and makes it alll the way down the drive again? Pretty slim I would say.
my concern is more -- wind blows someing into storller, wind blows stroller over.....cat jumps in storller, animal knocks storller over......

babies get bigger and more active and wake up and tip storller before youcan get to them.....

etc etc

but i think -- if someone saw the patteren of leaving the babies in a stroller out side day after day .... hummmmmmm ... i doubt they'd be trolling by and just grab them, but anyone doing the leg work to find trouble to get into.....

Aimee
post #29 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post

It makes me so sad how fearful the U.S. is--we live in one of the safest societies in the world (despite what the media wants us to believe). It sounds like you're doing great!
:

I bet it wasn't your first choice to go inside the house while they stayed outside in the stroller, but with two babies in addition to an older daughter I would do it too.

I have found myself doing things as a mom that I thought I would never do simply because I really need any help I can get.

And I wish that I could sleep outside. That would be nice. sigh.
post #30 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Honestly? My immediate reaction is I agree with your neighbor, you need to be out there with them in plain sight. It is so easy to steal a baby when something like that is done. Yes you may think you would hear someone come up but you might not, especially if they are sneaking up. There's a lot of sick people in this world and well, leaving them outside alone is not a good idea..
I completely agree.
post #31 of 166
I used to get really nervous when my sister let her dd nap in the van after being driven to sleep. But then again I tend to be nervous about that stuff. I think it's one of those, Yeah nothing will probably happen...but what if....
post #32 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
but i think -- if someone saw the patteren of leaving the babies in a stroller out side day after day .... hummmmmmm ... i doubt they'd be trolling by and just grab them, but anyone doing the leg work to find trouble to get into.....
Stranger abductions are ridiculously rare in the U.S. The vast vast majority of abductions are committed by a parent, other family member or close friend. The additional odds of someone casing the house and noticing a pattern of a baby in a stroller is unbelievably unlikely.
post #33 of 166
Yeah, but a wild animal thinking 'yummy' depending on where they live is not unlikely at all.
post #34 of 166
Quote:
Stranger abductions are ridiculously rare in the U.S. The vast vast majority of abductions are committed by a parent, other family member or close friend. The additional odds of someone casing the house and noticing a pattern of a baby in a stroller is unbelievably unlikely.
rare but it happnes.

just cuz soemthign is totally rare and uncommon -- doesn't make it any less painful when it happnes!! Strage abduction might not be the biggest risk, but it is a risk, and there are tother risks noted also -- IMO any unnecessary risk, is one best not taken.

There are a lot of things you can not protect adginest -- I feel a moral obligation as pareant to protect adsigst all i can protect adgienst.
post #35 of 166
I was out for a walk this weekend and saw a mom on her porch steps with two sleeping babes in a stroller in the yard. Do you live in CA?? It made me long for a yard, honestly! I would love to do that with my next babe.
post #36 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
rare but it happnes.

just cuz soemthign is totally rare and uncommon -- doesn't make it any less painful when it happnes!! Strage abduction might not be the biggest risk, but it is a risk, and there are tother risks noted also -- IMO any unnecessary risk, is one best not taken.

There are a lot of things you can not protect adginest -- I feel a moral obligation as pareant to protect adsigst all i can protect adgienst.
Anything is possible I suppose. I just believe that these fears that we pass on to our children are FAR more likely to cause them harm.
post #37 of 166
Thread Starter 
Mamas, I think you maybe misunderstood. When I say on the other side of a screen door, I mean literally that. My babies are not out of my sight at all; they are on one side of the door and I am on the other, right where I can see them. I sit there so that I can keep an eye on both my babies and DD1 at the same time; DD1 often won't go outside. She's 2 and busy with her own games and play and often I can't persuade her to go outside, and if I force the issue she throws a tantrum and then wakes both babies up and then where am I?

Frankly, I worry more about DD1 being left alone. She's mobile and active and curious and much much more likely to run into trouble than two newborns securely strapped into carseats and in a sturdy, braked stroller.

See, now I'm getting all defensive. I mean geez I asked for your opinions and you gave them nicely and I shouldn't be all defensive. It's just I'm so thrilled to find some way to get the babies a nap without at least one and usually all of my kids crying, and now I guess I have to give it up. You're right about CPS; that's exactly the sort of thing my neighbor would do....



But it's not like I'm upstairs folding laundry while they're outside sleeping. I'm casual with my kids, but not stupid.
post #38 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post
Anything is possible I suppose. I just believe that these fears that we pass on to our children are FAR more likely to cause them harm.
Tru dat.

An airplane can careen into the roof of my home and kill us all. Extremely rare? Yup!!! But I certainly can't keep looking up, can I?

Your child will be fine - what a wonderful thing to do - the fresh air is great, even in the wintertime!
post #39 of 166
Do you have an enclosed porch you could roll the stroller into?
post #40 of 166
Baby stealers? Come on.

I'd keep them in sight, but not because of baby theft risk (I mean, honest to pete!!!) but because at that age their breathing can still be irregular. And unfortunately it would probably be a good idea to cater to "keeping up appearances" and put them in back where nosy neighbors can't spy.

This makes me think of my grandmother's stories of growing up Indian in 1910 Idaho. Sitting the baby on a blanket while mom goes about her business picking berries and so forth. It's about as "NFL" as you can get! And kudos on managing twins and an older child!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › am i wrong? baby sleeping outside