or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › RH- pregnancy & rho-gam: anyone NOT get it/getting it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RH- pregnancy & rho-gam: anyone NOT get it/getting it?

post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if not, mods please feel free to move.


I am now about 13 weeks into my third pregnancy. I've had Rho-gam in the past but has since become aware of the risks involved. I will not get the 28 injection but I am still unsure about the postpartum one. We want more children, but the Rho-gam is not a cure all without risk/cost. I have read that the risk are somewhat low (1 in 4000) of having a baby die as a result of not getting the Rho-gam... Just wondering what other mothers in my shoes have done.
post #2 of 65
What risks are you worried about?

I've gotten it during every pregnancy and my loss. My kids are all O- so far so I haven't needed rhogam after delivery. My Dh is O+ so it is a possibility that this baby or the one we loss could be positive. Do you know what kind of blood your husband has?
post #3 of 65
I hadn't heard about any risks involved with the Rhogam shot. I'm A-, but DH is O-, so I don't have to get the shot (I decline it because it's just totally unnecessary in our case. If DH were +, I would get the shot).
post #4 of 65
Thread Starter 
Rho-gam is a blood product and carries the risk of viral infection. They currently screen for the viruses they can detect, but there are others such as new variant Creutzfeldt Jakob disease (the human "mad cow" disease) that they have no way to test for. This is one one example of one known virus. No one really knows what or how many others there are out there. There are also some studies that suggest risks including immune system compromise & potential reproduction problems for girl babies exposed to Rho-gam in utero.


I am O- and my husband is O+. Our son was born O+
post #5 of 65
I'm RH-, I had Rhogam with DD1, with DD2 I didn't want it. I chose not to even find out what blood type DD2 was at birth because either way I wasn't getting Rhogam. I later found out during one of her hospitalizations that she was B-. Read Sara Wickham's book "Anti-D in Midwifery".
post #6 of 65
I am in my 6th pregnancy(lost my third through m/c), I had the shots during my pregnancies with my first two, and after with the first two, no shot after my loss(not sure why they didn't give it to me), then got the shot after my third delivery(but not during pregnancy). I declined the shot after my last pregnancy/delivery. I felt like my risks were pretty low, no birth trama, no one yanking on the cord, etc, and I thought it was my last pregnancy. LOL Surprise baby #5 is coming, and my antibodies are fine, and I won't be getting the shot this time either, unless there is trauma.

I need to check out that book too.
Oh, and I am A- and my hubby is A+ all of my kids so far have been A+
post #7 of 65
I'm A+ and DH is O-. I didn't get it with DD and I didn't get tested for it. She was my first and I know it's not a concern then. We won't be getting tested for this one or getting the shot. Ahhh the joys of a UP/UC.
post #8 of 65
Thread Starter 
The biggest reason I am posting is that my doc seems to think that if I dont have the shot I will have a Hemolytic baby in the future. While I do agree that there is a chance, I don't believe the chance is great enough to risk getting the Rho-gam.


I do want to say that if I did have a major trauma prior to birth or complications during the birth I would concider depending on the severity. Basically what I dont want to do is "routine" injections.
post #9 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
I'm A+ and DH is O-. I didn't get it with DD and I didn't get tested for it. She was my first and I know it's not a concern then. We won't be getting tested for this one or getting the shot. Ahhh the joys of a UP/UC.


They would not give you Rho-gam. Rho-gam is only for Rh- women. The father's blood type does not matter. In a Rh- pregnancy, your body treats the +s as an outsider and attack causing death & diease in the baby. (Assuming the baby is + and you have been sensitized)
post #10 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMoM2GTO View Post
They would not give you Rho-gam. Rho-gam is only for Rh- women. The father's blood type does not matter. In a Rh- pregnancy, your body treats the +s as an outsider and attack causing death & diease in the baby. (Assuming the baby is + and you have been sensitized)

I know this. I was just sharing our situation. I have never been tested to know if I was RH-.
post #11 of 65
If you are A+ then you certainly aren't RH-.
post #12 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMoM2GTO View Post
The biggest reason I am posting is that my doc seems to think that if I dont have the shot I will have a Hemolytic baby in the future. While I do agree that there is a chance, I don't believe the chance is great enough to risk getting the Rho-gam.


I do want to say that if I did have a major trauma prior to birth or complications during the birth I would concider depending on the severity. Basically what I dont want to do is "routine" injections.
Your plan sounds perfect to me.
post #13 of 65
What are the supposed dangers of the rho-gan injection? I have gotten them w/ all 4 of my pregnancies,no problems.
post #14 of 65
Dangers of rhogam injections: there may be mercury, i.e., thimerasol, used as a preservative, in the container. There may be an infection at the site of injection, always a possibility. Rhogam is made from human blood product which may contain HIV, hepatits, and variant Creutzfeldt Jakob disease; these are not diseases a new mother should have to deal with.

Furthermore, why get an injection that has the possibility of killing the baby you are carrying to protect the next baby you will have if you do not know if you are even going to have another baby, but YOU do KNOW you are having the baby you are carrying...does that make sense?

Why get an injection at all? Wait till the baby is born and then decide based on the results of a cord sample.

Furthermore, the typical protocol for this procedure does not include checking the blood type of your partner. Why? If your partner is Rh-, there is no reason to get the rhogam. The reason your partner's blood type is not checked is because most doctors entertain the outside possibility that the baby may not be his.

I had four children at home, am O- and I never got rhogam with any of them because I refused it. No problems here either.
post #15 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Dangers of rhogam injections: there may be mercury, i.e., thimerasol, used as a preservative, in the container. There may be an infection at the site of injection, always a possibility. Rhogam is made from human blood product which may contain HIV, hepatits, and variant Creutzfeldt Jakob disease; these are not diseases a new mother should have to deal with.

Furthermore, why get an injection that has the possibility of killing the baby you are carrying to protect the next baby you will have if you do not know if you are even going to have another baby, but YOU do KNOW you are having the baby you are carrying...does that make sense?

Why get an injection at all? Wait till the baby is born and then decide based on the results of a cord sample.

Furthermore, the typical protocol for this procedure does not include checking the blood type of your partner. Why? If your partner is Rh-, there is no reason to get the rhogam. The reason your partner's blood type is not checked is because most doctors entertain the outside possibility that the baby may not be his.

I had four children at home, am O- and I never got rhogam with any of them because I refused it. No problems here either.
Thanks for the info. I am O-, hubby is O+, and all 3 of the kids were O+. Got it w/ this pregnancy,too already, as I had some major bleeds due to a previa.
Sure glad none of the things you mentioned ever happened here!
post #16 of 65
I would love to see the study or other published evidence that shows that Rhogam injection has killed (or could kill) babies.

There have been no confirmed cases, ever, of anyone getting mad cow or any other communicable disease from Rhogam.

No treatment is without risk. The antibodies in Rhogam can be dangerous for Rh+ babies, though generally not as dangerous as an unchecked natural immune reaction to Rhesus factor is. In the case of Rh- women with Rh+ partners, choosing to decline treatment also carries significant risk.

It is routine practice for doctors not to check the father's blood type, for the reason applejuice stated. If your your partner and your partner's blood type are known, and he is Rh-, a reasonable physician will agree that there is no need for the shot. Rhogam has no impact whatsoever on Rh- babies anyway - it provides antibodies to an antigen Rh- individuals don't carry.

Anecdotally, it's possible to find many Rh- women who have had multiple children without either Rhogam or problems. As the frequency of Rhagam use increases, it's easy to focus on those individuals who didn't have the medication and also didn't have a problem. In the past, it was common for Rh- women with Rh+ partners to have one healthy baby followed by a series of brain damaged and stillborn babies.
post #17 of 65
The problem with Rh babies happened because of the early cord cutting. The baby's blood was still in the cord, but the obstetrician cut the cord soon after birth instead of letting the baby take the rest of its blood in...the blood in the cord went to the mother and the mother began to make antibodies against the baby's blood cells. This can also happen in an ABO incompatibility.

The more careful road would be to wait for the cord to stop pulsing, then cut the cord, take a sample of the cord blood, and a sample of the mother's blood, send the samples to the lab to check for titres and then give the rhogam shot within 72 hours.

The reason not taking the rhogam shot worked for me is because I am O- and my DH is O+, but I have a compensating factor, the DU or Duffy factor in my blood. My midwife explained this to me. Few people I have discussed this with IRL know what I am talking about. BTW, my sister had a placenta previa with many bleeds also and she never received a rhogam shot with her children, both caesarean.
post #18 of 65
I have to point out something...

From everything I know of CJD (Nursing school, Surgical tech school and a friends father passing away form it) it is NOT transmissible vis blood products. The most "common" way it is transmitted is via things involving the nervous system (i.e. surgical instrumentation). Also, CJD is NOT a virus, it is a prion. VERY different story (they are not able to be killed by pretty much anything we have including heat sterilization or chemicals)
post #19 of 65
B
post #20 of 65
Can anyone give me information about the pros/cons of prenatal Rhogam? I'm supposed to get it at my next appointment.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › RH- pregnancy & rho-gam: anyone NOT get it/getting it?