or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › What WAH Work Do You Do? (With Rules, Please Read)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What WAH Work Do You Do? (With Rules, Please Read) - Page 2

post #21 of 170
My husband and I run a graphics/screenprinting business full time from the home.

I also have a childbirth education business.
post #22 of 170
I make melt and pour glycerin soaps to sell off and on. My goal is to learn to really make soap (you know, lye, liquids, all that jazz) in the near future, learn it well, and when I know I make a good product, actually start selling at farmers markets and festivals.

ATM, I GPT on MonsterPaysCash and CashDuck, primarily.
post #23 of 170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnetdiva View Post
I distribute baby slings in an online store. Alot of work but I think I can lessen my load.

I also run an informational site that makes money with Google Adsense (and donations). It was a site I was active on years ago and its still going with no work from me anymore.
That is awesome, my site is only 7 months old but if I can I hope it will become a large source of my income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
I design plush, soft toys, rag dolls and doll fashions for the conventional toy and premium business. I also design my own line of Waldorf inspired dolls and natural fiber soft toys.
Aww, I bet that is fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa View Post
My husband and I run a graphics/screenprinting business full time from the home.

I also have a childbirth education business.
It is nice that you work with your husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of Joy View Post
I make melt and pour glycerin soaps to sell off and on. My goal is to learn to really make soap (you know, lye, liquids, all that jazz) in the near future, learn it well, and when I know I make a good product, actually start selling at farmers markets and festivals.

ATM, I GPT on MonsterPaysCash and CashDuck, primarily.
I have often thought about making my own soap, not to sell, just to use and that way I will know what is in it.
post #24 of 170
I make and sell kids clothing and accessories on my own website.
post #25 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neth Naneth View Post
Proofreading, that would feel like a lot of pressure . . . for me. Curious, are proofreaders paid by the hour or by the length of the text?
It depends. Generally I charge per page (250 words) if it's just proofreading or copy editing. If I'm doing more re-writing, integrating other sources, and more time-consuming work than is reflected purely by the page count of the original, then I will charge by hour.

It isn't too much pressure. I do not do urgent projects, as I need to plan my work time carefully. I have two little ones at home with me fulltime, and my DH comes home quite late. I can only really count on getting in a few hours in the evening, or maybe naptime, if they overlap.

Again, I really enjoy it!
post #26 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
I index books. In other words, the index at the back of the book that you flip to when you want to find out where the author talked about the invasion of Normandy or whatever? I write those. Mostly for computer-related books, though. Never anything as interesting as the invasion of Normandy.
OK, now THAT is cool. Even if it's not about the invasion of Normandy. Still cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I am an assistant to a forensic physchologist and I prepare reports for the courts primarily. I get case files from my boss once a week (so 30 minutes of work out of the home) and then do the rest from home.
WOW, super cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
I have an editing business. I proofread, edit, and sometimes translate (French/English).
Hey fellow June 06 mama! - I didn't know this about you!


I'm a medical editor for a small national company. I proofread medical transcription done by MTs, checking for correct patient information, accurate medical content, grammar, and spelling, and give feedback to the transcriptionist. And for you MTs out there in MDC land, I'm NOT one of the evil ones, I'm one of the nice ones!!! :
post #27 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
I'm a medical editor for a small national company. I proofread medical transcription done by MTs, checking for correct patient information, accurate medical content, grammar, and spelling, and give feedback to the transcriptionist. And for you MTs out there in MDC land, I'm NOT one of the evil ones, I'm one of the nice ones!!! :
LOL!! All my QA's have been nice.... except one. : Luckily, I've only dealt with him once. The nice one's make work SO much better!
post #28 of 170
I am a data analyst/consultant for social service agencies. I help them develop the research design for a particular study and then usually develop surveys or help them collect other data to measure whatever it is they need to measure. I do a lot of data work and report writing.
post #29 of 170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies View Post
I make and sell kids clothing and accessories on my own website.
That's right, I knew that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybun View Post
It depends. Generally I charge per page (250 words) if it's just proofreading or copy editing. If I'm doing more re-writing, integrating other sources, and more time-consuming work than is reflected purely by the page count of the original, then I will charge by hour.

It isn't too much pressure. I do not do urgent projects, as I need to plan my work time carefully. I have two little ones at home with me fulltime, and my DH comes home quite late. I can only really count on getting in a few hours in the evening, or maybe naptime, if they overlap.

Again, I really enjoy it!
Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post

Hey fellow June 06 mama! - I didn't know this about you!


I'm a medical editor for a small national company. I proofread medical transcription done by MTs, checking for correct patient information, accurate medical content, grammar, and spelling, and give feedback to the transcriptionist. And for you MTs out there in MDC land, I'm NOT one of the evil ones, I'm one of the nice ones!!! :
I am a June 06 mama too. I didn't know that Medical tracscription had to be proofread. Learn something everyday.
post #30 of 170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
I am a data analyst/consultant for social service agencies. I help them develop the research design for a particular study and then usually develop surveys or help them collect other data to measure whatever it is they need to measure. I do a lot of data work and report writing.
Very cool.
post #31 of 170
I do hair .... hairstylist
post #32 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neth Naneth View Post
I am a June 06 mama too. I didn't know that Medical tracscription had to be proofread. Learn something everyday.
Hey, cool! I don't remember seeing you around the June 06 LWAB thread much, or I would have recognized your handle too.

Not all transcription needs to be proofed. Just if the MT leaves a blank (usually at comapnies instead of individual MTs who work independently - they are their own proofers), or if they're brand spankin' new out of school or doing a specialty that's new to them (to help with terminology and formatting), or if there are problems with the client and they request reviews.

I LOVE what I do.
post #33 of 170
I think an at-home mineral makeup business sounds like a blast!
post #34 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioAJG View Post
I have a celebrity gossip site. :

So far what I'm making on ads is just about covering what I've spent on ads, but hopefully that will be temporary. I may be calling on one of you website-designing mamas soon, since I think there's a lot that could be done to my site that I simply don't know how to do.

I think an at-home mineral makeup business sounds like a blast!
Mineral makeup is fun. I am a licensed cosmetologist so I thought it would be a fun way to WAH. I love formulating colors of shadow and blush!
post #35 of 170
So far I am just decluttering my house and selling things on the TP here and on eBay, but I am trying to get into making and selling boutique-style hairbows. I'm also on the lookout for a cheap secondhand monogramming machine. I'm also going to try my luck with selling stencil-painted baby shirts and onesies in the very near future. On top of all that, I would love to find a house or two to clean in the evenings or on weekends, but only places I could bring my kids with me.

I WOH currently and have two small children and another on the way, so I'm having to do all this in my "free" time, which doesn't seem to exist! If I can find a way to make $200-250/week working from home, I could quit my job and stay home with my little ones.
post #36 of 170
I own my own business as a knitting designer and yarn dyer.
post #37 of 170
I manufacture cloth baby carriers and sell them on my own website and sell to retail stores, as well.
post #38 of 170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaliss View Post
I do hair .... hairstylist
Very cool, I have a dear friend who is getting out of beauty school next months. Bless her heart I don't think she knows where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioAJG View Post
I have a celebrity gossip site. :

So far what I'm making on ads is just about covering what I've spent on ads, but hopefully that will be temporary. I may be calling on one of you website-designing mamas soon, since I think there's a lot that could be done to my site that I simply don't know how to do.
Very clever, may I make a suggestion. Here on MDC you can click Quick Links, Edit Profile, you will see "If you would like to let other visitors to this site know the URL of your own web site, enter it here.
Home Page URL" and you can enter the URL for your site that way you might get some traffic from MDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
So far I am just decluttering my house and selling things on the TP here and on eBay, but I am trying to get into making and selling boutique-style hairbows. I'm also on the lookout for a cheap secondhand monogramming machine. I'm also going to try my luck with selling stencil-painted baby shirts and onesies in the very near future. On top of all that, I would love to find a house or two to clean in the evenings or on weekends, but only places I could bring my kids with me.

I WOH currently and have two small children and another on the way, so I'm having to do all this in my "free" time, which doesn't seem to exist! If I can find a way to make $200-250/week working from home, I could quit my job and stay home with my little ones.
Best of luck to you sweetie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
I own my own business as a knitting designer and yarn dyer.
That very fitted with your user name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwl View Post
I manufacture cloth baby carriers and sell them on my own website and sell to retail stores, as well.
Awesome!!!
post #39 of 170
I own a GPT site and a fertility charting site with DH. He developed the charting software for it.

OT~ Is there a site that has a semi-complete listing of all the natural family shopping sites out there, i.e. WAHMs that sell CD or BF supplies etc? I always hear of a new store that opened here or there, but Im wondering if there is a site with a list of all of them? TIA!
post #40 of 170
...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Work from Home Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › What WAH Work Do You Do? (With Rules, Please Read)