OK, I want more info on this. We have used this detergent also, when we were working on our house 7 days a week & I didn't have time to make homemade. I liked it & my clothing ends up with no scent. That may be our water? I don't know much about optical brighteners, I never worried about it since I didn't think we were using any. Does this mean that if you get detergent on your hand while loading the washer that this stuff doesn't wash off? That is scary sounding. I think I will do some research on this.
Scroll down to 'optical brighteners.' They are quite pointless and do not make clothing cleaner; they trick the eye into thinking things are brighter/whiter. The quote about toxic to fish and bacterial mutations should be enough to make most conscious consumers apprehensive about using a product that contains OBs.
If you want more info about optical brighteners, just Google the term and quite the array of info will pop up for you.
From my research and understanding, they're not a good thing to put on your skin, in the water, or on your clothes. Buy detergent that explicitly says 'we do not put optical brighteners in our product.'
We use Country Save on everything (diapers and clothes).