or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › North/South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming › The (hopefully) giant colossal North Dakota thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (hopefully) giant colossal North Dakota thread! - Page 45

post #881 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffanie3 View Post

I am wondering what the grocery options are for Williston.
 

There's not a whole lot of options, as far as I know there is just the Albertsons and Walmart. It's been a couple months since I've been there, but so far that's all I've found, but with the oil boom I'm not sure what else has gone up.

post #882 of 900
So this is random but my DH might get transferred to Bismarck, ND if we take the opportunity. We are in S. California now, LA area and I hate to say-- it's great here but super expensive and the debt/unemployment rate and cost of living is really becoming outrageous.

My DD is 2.5yo, I plan to TTC in December with #2. I am wondering-- how is it being a transplant especially from CA? I have lived in MD/PA so I know about the weather differences. I also know that some hate transplants/outsiders and small-town mentality can be cumbersome. But so can busy-bodies and stuck up snobs from LA! wink1.gif
post #883 of 900

There is a local grocery store called Economart as well, and then several hope options -- we are getting Bountiful Baskets in the next few weeks, and have Azure Standard. (Google them!)

 

Albertsons actually has a surprising amount of organic produce, and Economart has an area in the back that is sort of a "health food" section. Prices are ridiculous, though, which is of course par for the course in Williston these days!

post #884 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

So this is random but my DH might get transferred to Bismarck, ND if we take the opportunity. We are in S. California now, LA area and I hate to say-- it's great here but super expensive and the debt/unemployment rate and cost of living is really becoming outrageous.
My DD is 2.5yo, I plan to TTC in December with #2. I am wondering-- how is it being a transplant especially from CA? I have lived in MD/PA so I know about the weather differences. I also know that some hate transplants/outsiders and small-town mentality can be cumbersome. But so can busy-bodies and stuck up snobs from LA! wink1.gif

 


I think you would find Bismarck to be a very nice community.  I don't live in Bismarck, but I think it is a very nice place to live.  Cost of living is still pretty low although it has risen with the oil boom.  They have great schools, a fabulous natural health physician, many options for organic/natural foods, and a pretty good amount of shopping.  It definitely is a smaller community, but I don't think you will find issues because of being transplants. 

post #885 of 900
Thank you so much thrify! I am so happy to hear that but.... Have also heard that being in your teens in ND-- means not much to do. A friend who lived there from 13-19 said it was boring and he got into trouble with alcohol and the like. This worries me bit but living in CA IMHO is no different.

How are the schools? I bet they rank higher the LA. We are known for REALLY good schools and REALLY bad ones. Lol.
post #886 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriasMommy View Post

There is a local grocery store called Economart as well, and then several hope options -- we are getting Bountiful Baskets in the next few weeks, and have Azure Standard. (Google them!)

 

Albertsons actually has a surprising amount of organic produce, and Economart has an area in the back that is sort of a "health food" section. Prices are ridiculous, though, which is of course par for the course in Williston these days!

Isn't that the truth, it's getting horrible! The oil is heading our way now (NE Montana) and I'm already seeing the price of housing sky rocketing!! I guess I didn't realize there was an Economart XD. I'm happy to hear about the Bountiful Baskets though!

post #887 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Thank you so much thrify! I am so happy to hear that but.... Have also heard that being in your teens in ND-- means not much to do. A friend who lived there from 13-19 said it was boring and he got into trouble with alcohol and the like. This worries me bit but living in CA IMHO is no different.
How are the schools? I bet they rank higher the LA. We are known for REALLY good schools and REALLY bad ones. Lol.

 

There is a lot of truth to the fact that there is not much to do for teenagers here and partying is pretty big among teenagers.  That being said, I grew up here and so did my husband and we had lots of friends (including ourselves) who didn't drink or get into trouble during high school.  It is probably a similar story most places.

 

Generally speaking, the schools in North Dakota are great.  We choose to send our son to a private school because of class size and less transitions, but I worked for the public school system in Minot for 6 years and was very happy with what I saw.  But there are always good teachers and bad teachers everywhere!!  HA! 

post #888 of 900

My husband is starting his new job in Minot tomorrow (yay!) and my son and I should be following him up there by October - but for now we are sitting in MS. U-Hauls for a cross-country move are not cheap, lol. I just wanted to say HELLO! I am part of a few Minot groups on FB (bosom buddies and natural families), but I wanted to say Hi here too. I want roots set down before we get there and some other moms to talk to. :)
 

post #889 of 900

Hi MamaBice!!  Congrats on your husband's new job in Minot.  Has he been able to find housing?  I think that is the trickiest part of making the move.  Let me know if you have any questions about the area. 
 

post #890 of 900

Hello Ladies!

 

I recently moved to Dickinson, ND from Phoenix.  I have a 2 YO son and a Daughter on the way, due Oct. 26th :)  I'd love to meet up with some of you ladies in person, don't mind traveling to Bis every now and then! Love the Rec Center and all the playgrounds in Dickinson

 

Message me!

post #891 of 900

Hi Filiz! Welcome! And congrats on the new addition!

post #892 of 900

Hi BriasMom,

 

I'm waiting for Paulette to call me sometime this week to meet with my husband and I about a home birth. Could you PM me with the contacts you have? For some reason the site won't let me PM you.

 

Thanks.

post #893 of 900

Hello, I recently moved to Minot from Minneapolis and wondering about birthing options here. I had my son in a birthing center home in St. Paul. I absolutely loved it and really do not want to have a hospital birth. Does anyone know of midwifes here in Minot that do home births OR how are the midwifes at Trinity here. Are they good about following through with your birth plan. We did bradley method and being at a home, no intervention. Or do you need a doula to help with facilitating a natural birth? Any info would be appreciated:)

post #894 of 900
post #895 of 900


 


Edited by Pkaaahboo - 11/3/12 at 12:29pm
post #896 of 900
Hello there! So excited to see a forum with just North Dakota people! I am from Grand Forks. Cosmotologist. Married two yrs to a wonderful man in the air force stations at GFAFB. No childern. Ttc since Janurary 2010. Two miscarriages (Feb 2012 and July 2012) Don't know what else to say!
post #897 of 900
Hi! I hope it is okay if I thread-crash for a bit. We are looking at a job opportunity in ND (I think near Bismarck, still waiting on details). I'm trying to learn more about the area. So far I'm mostly striking out on finding rentals. Is the rental market that tight, or do they just not bother with major national websites. (Rent.com turned up zero results.) What is the birth climate like? Are there any birth centers? How do you not go crazy cooped up in the house during the winter? How much does gas cost? I will obviously be researching through other avenues, but I'd appreciate an on-the-ground perspective. smile.gif
post #898 of 900

The housing market really is that tight all across ND.  The oil boom has made rentals scarce and expensive.  No birth centers; out of hospital births happen in North Dakota, but a bit under the radar.   

post #899 of 900

We are leaning more toward going to ND now. I have confirmed we'll be living in Bismarck/Mandan, although the wind farm is somewhere in the vicinity of New Salem. Is there still a ND Crunchy Families FB page somewhere?

post #900 of 900
There is! I'm John Jennifer Jeppson on FB- if you message me with the email you use for FB, I can add you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › North/South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming › The (hopefully) giant colossal North Dakota thread!