or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 6

post #101 of 2286
How about emailing the clinic instead of calling, just for the preliminary info? It might be easier than phoning.
post #102 of 2286
Quote:
Originally Posted by APmom2Libby View Post
I just had to share my experience with a doc I found on the Stopthethyroidmadness.com website.....
Yay!!!

So far I have been unable to find one in my area since we moved, but I self treat also.
post #103 of 2286
I'm awaiting the results of my saliva test from DiagnosTechs, but I'm checking back here from time to time to see how everyone else is coming along.

APmom - that's great that you found a doc that you like! I grew up in Wheaton and my parents are there still.
post #104 of 2286
Thread Starter 
I have an appointment this afternoon, I've moved up to weekly appointments since my BP dropped even more. : Buuuuut, that means almost 2 hours roundtrip in the car w/o kids, kind of peaceful if I can keep my mind from wandering.

I had a rough weekend, found a tick on Dd2 - ticks & Lyme are my phobia which, as far as I'm concerned, started this whole adrenal mess in the first place (my phobia, not ticks or Lyme) & I had an awful ocular migraine on Sunday that hit me out of nowhere like a freight train & I ended up puking & then falling asleep for an hour.) I won't be surprised today if my BP is lower than normal again. I tend to get that "health anxiety" & while I felt like I was dying during that ocular migraine, I had the "what ifs," "what it it's an aneurysm?" "brain tumor?" "Lyme?" I hate that.

I plan on bringing up some questions, I'll post back with anything interesting or potentially helpful.
post #105 of 2286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I have an appointment this afternoon, I've moved up to weekly appointments since my BP dropped even more. : Buuuuut, that means almost 2 hours roundtrip in the car w/o kids, kind of peaceful if I can keep my mind from wandering.

I had a rough weekend, found a tick on Dd2 - ticks & Lyme are my phobia which, as far as I'm concerned, started this whole adrenal mess in the first place (my phobia, not ticks or Lyme) & I had an awful ocular migraine on Sunday that hit me out of nowhere like a freight train & I ended up puking & then falling asleep for an hour.) I won't be surprised today if my BP is lower than normal again. I tend to get that "health anxiety" & while I felt like I was dying during that ocular migraine, I had the "what ifs," "what it it's an aneurysm?" "brain tumor?" "Lyme?" I hate that.

I plan on bringing up some questions, I'll post back with anything interesting or potentially helpful.
I hope your appt. went well today and you were able to enjoy your peace and quiet in the car. I know that the anxiety issue is part of the whole adrenal fatigue thing (it's an ugly cycle, isn't it?) but just wanted to let you know that lyme isn't the total nightmare that allopathic medicine makes it to be (through their poor testing and treatments). What I mean to say is that, yes, it's bad, esp. when untreated, but it's very treatable. My sister and BIL went to a ND for a variety of problems and the doc found the bacteria that causes lyme (he can't diagnose lyme or the AMA starts suing : ) and was able to easily treat it with a bunch of herbs and other supplements, black walnut and the like. Shortly after my sister's hip stopped bothering her and she was able to get pregnant after years of trying. Anyway, just thought I'd mention that so that you could focus your anxieties on some other health problem

I go to my doc (P.A.) tomorrow to see if she'll test and treat me for adrenal fatigue. Their office uses the Diagnos-Techs testing, probably the hormone tests, so maybe she'll be up for it. I'm not too hopeful though, since I went about an irregular heart beat I developed shortly before getting pregnant with ds2 and after a little testing (low b-12, low-normal thyroid???) she said as long as there weren't other symptoms it's just something I'll live with, like the other 1/3 of the country with this problem : Since I started magnesium suppplements for my aching legs the irregular heart beat has gone away, as long as keep up the supplements. After a little research I found out that it's critical to heart health so, duh, I could be depleted. All that to say, if she didn't know that then I'm not to sure about her ability to treat adrenal fatigue, but she's covered by insurance so I'll start there first. I do have hope though, if she doesn't work out, that I can see the ND my sister saw (2 hours away). Dh said the other night that if it takes seeing Dr. Anderson to get my sex drive back then it'll be worth it I guess he's tired of the worn out, unresponsive lump that I've become during sex. I didn't used to be that way so we both know something's wrong and I'm pretty sure that it's more than just two little boys.
post #106 of 2286
Ok, add me to the list. I met with my ND today and I have adrenal fatigue, along with some other issues. She put me on Adrenal Dessicated by Standard Process, Iodoral Iodine/Potassium supplements, Ferrum Phos cell salts, Digestive enzymes, and a homeopathic remedy. Anyone know about the adrenal support and iodine?
post #107 of 2286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannyshan View Post
Ok, add me to the list. I met with my ND today and I have adrenal fatigue, along with some other issues. She put me on Adrenal Dessicated by Standard Process, Iodoral Iodine/Potassium supplements, Ferrum Phos cell salts, Digestive enzymes, and a homeopathic remedy. Anyone know about the adrenal support and iodine?
I have some info in this thread about potassium, every good piece of info I've ever read says that adrenal patients have a potassium/sodium imbalance & that sodium is what we need - not potassium, taking potassium further depletes our sodium. My doctor told me to drink salt water & to use as much salt as possible (sea salt) & to avoid high potassium foods.

RachelJ., thanks for that, it really helped me to see Lyme a different way - every other bit I read about it is SO alarmist & downright horrible, sends my adrenaline through the roof!

So, my appointment did not bring good news. I've been in an agitated state since removing the tick from my Dd on Friday night. My gut says that she's fine, I don't think the tick was embedded enough to pass anything. But, it unleashed the thoughts again - why am I not healing?

My BP showed my stress, it was higher than it's ever been, 105 laying down & 115 standing - contrary to my initial response, this is not good - it was just reflecting my mental state.

So I'm to take my Seriphos - a lot & often. I need to break this fight or flight cycle.
post #108 of 2286
Woo hoo! Got my results. The good news (because it means I'm not imagining this) and bad news is that things are pretty out of whack.

7-8 am, 18, normal, range 13-24
11am-noon, <1, depressed, range 5-10
4pm-5pm, <1, depressed, range 3-8
11pm-midnight, <1, depressed, range 1-4

DHEA, 7, normal, range 3-10

This puts me in Zone 5: Non-adapted, low reserves.

Waiting for blood test results, then I'll meet again with my naturopath and get her recommendations and go from there. Looks like I'll probably need to see an MD as well to get cortisol that it seems like I could really benefit from at this point.

I feel you on the anxiety issue. Last week and this one have really sucked in that department and I have about the least stressful life of anyone I know. I can't *wait* to see some improvement in that area as well as increased energy.
post #109 of 2286
Thread Starter 
Hey you're DHEA looks good though - that's great news! I'm not so sure about cortisol being the best bet - my doctor hasn't suggested it & I'm in zone 7 (aka as bad as it gets.) I think the bovine organ extracts are a more natural approach, I've also heard that it's really tough to wean off of the cortisol - just some food for thought....

Congrats on feeling validated! It's nice to be able to blame our symptoms on something, isn't it?
post #110 of 2286
Hello all.

I am pretty sure I have AF. My ND told me that she was 100% sure that I had it without even taking the test (that's a bold statement!) but that I should take it anyway so that we can figure out where I am and how to treat.

So I have a question. I want to order a test but am unsure of which one is the best:

Canary Club offers this one:

Adrenal Stress Tests (four samples for cortisol and DHEA) .. This involves one saliva sample collected in the morning before breakfast, another sample collected around noon (before lunch), another around 4 p.m.
(before dinner), and another around 10 p.m. (before bed).

And Direct labs offers this one:

This profile offers an average value for DHEA in the noon to P.M. time window. It measures IgA, a marker for antibody activation of the mucosal immune system response. Also measured are Antigliadin Antibodies, a marker for reactive allergic sensitivity to a component of wheat and other foods. Either of these markers may be elevated in stress syndromes. Elevation of either marker would indicate systemic compromise resulting in gut permeability, allergic response and/or food sensitivity. Symptoms could vary widely. Includes:

DHEA-Sulfate
Cortisol - four specimens
Secretary IgA
AntiGliadin Antibodies

I want to make sure I get the one that is really going to diagnose me and not leave me with questions. Thanks!
post #111 of 2286
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurturedbirth View Post
Woo hoo! Got my results. The good news (because it means I'm not imagining this) and bad news is that things are pretty out of whack.

7-8 am, 18, normal, range 13-24
11am-noon, <1, depressed, range 5-10
4pm-5pm, <1, depressed, range 3-8
11pm-midnight, <1, depressed, range 1-4

DHEA, 7, normal, range 3-10

This puts me in Zone 5: Non-adapted, low reserves.

Waiting for blood test results, then I'll meet again with my naturopath and get her recommendations and go from there. Looks like I'll probably need to see an MD as well to get cortisol that it seems like I could really benefit from at this point.

I feel you on the anxiety issue. Last week and this one have really sucked in that department and I have about the least stressful life of anyone I know. I can't *wait* to see some improvement in that area as well as increased energy.
I'm pretty sure that with a cortisol reading that is "0" during any part of the days means that you should be checked for Addison's Disease....I'm not sure if the good DHEA rules that out though?
post #112 of 2286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
Hello all.

I am pretty sure I have AF. My ND told me that she was 100% sure that I had it without even taking the test (that's a bold statement!) but that I should take it anyway so that we can figure out where I am and how to treat.

So I have a question. I want to order a test but am unsure of which one is the best:

Canary Club offers this one:

Adrenal Stress Tests (four samples for cortisol and DHEA) .. This involves one saliva sample collected in the morning before breakfast, another sample collected around noon (before lunch), another around 4 p.m.
(before dinner), and another around 10 p.m. (before bed).

And Direct labs offers this one:

This profile offers an average value for DHEA in the noon to P.M. time window. It measures IgA, a marker for antibody activation of the mucosal immune system response. Also measured are Antigliadin Antibodies, a marker for reactive allergic sensitivity to a component of wheat and other foods. Either of these markers may be elevated in stress syndromes. Elevation of either marker would indicate systemic compromise resulting in gut permeability, allergic response and/or food sensitivity. Symptoms could vary widely. Includes:

DHEA-Sulfate
Cortisol - four specimens
Secretary IgA
AntiGliadin Antibodies

I want to make sure I get the one that is really going to diagnose me and not leave me with questions. Thanks!
The Canary Club Diagnostechs test will do your cortisol, TSH, free T3, free T4. both antibodies and estradiol, progesterone and testosterone.

There is some debate as to whether or not saliva testing is accurate for sex hormones though.

I don't know about the other testing company...
post #113 of 2286
Thanks Kim. You've been very helpful.

I ask because the canary club said that they did not do the Anti-TPO or TgAb for thyroid as you stated that I need.

Also, I didn't know if the Secretary IgA and AntiGliadin Antibodies were important in diagnosing adrenal fatigue. Because canary club does not offer those either. And direct labs offers all of these.
post #114 of 2286
Here are my results:
Free Cortisol Rhythm
7-8AM 16 normal
11-noon 3 depressed
4-5 4 normal
11-midnight 5 elevated
cortisol burden 28 (normal)

DHEA 2 depressed

Cortisol-DHEA Correlation -2 Adapted w/ DHEA slump
Patient result interpretations
Marginal HPA axis performance during the day may be associated with suboptimal hypothalmis pacing of adrenals. Adrenal support suggested.
Midnight value is elevated suggesting a lack of sensitivity to suppression at the pituitary-hypothalmic-axis. This condition is usually associated with a tendency to endogenous depression, and REM sleep disruptions (maybe why I'm ALWAYS SO TIRED?). Phosphorylated serine derivatives are reported to optimize HPA responsiveness.

Anabolic enhancement suggested: DHEA or Pregnenolone augmentation.
Anabolic suppoert suggested.

My thyroid levels were all smack dab in the middle of normal ranges, except Triiodo-thyronine, which was 0.28, normal is 0.28-1.1

I did the test on about day 22 of my cycle, so luteal phase.
My estradiol was 16, normal is 7-20
Progesterone was 503, normal is 65-500, so high. I've read high progesterone can cause depression. And no, I was not, am not pregnant, so that would not explain the high progesterone.
Free testosterone was 18, range is 8-20

I haven't found a doc yet. I decided that until I do, I'm just going to take the damn hormones. I'm taking 10mg each of DHEA and Pregnenolone. I started about 3 days ago. I also bought better multivitamins and have started taking valerian and a higher dose of melatonin before bed. Oh, and new melatonin is time release.
post #115 of 2286
Oh, I have another question. I used to take temps to chart my fertility. I don't bother anymore, but my temp was always really really low. Like 96.4. I know it's not normal, but is it related to this at all, does anyone know?
post #116 of 2286
Wendy, Sounds to me like low thyroid (hypo). Which apparently your thyroid test can come back normal but adrenal fatigue almost always impairs thyroid function and when you get that under control the other should get better.
post #117 of 2286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
Thanks Kim. You've been very helpful.

I ask because the canary club said that they did not do the Anti-TPO or TgAb for thyroid as you stated that I need.

Also, I didn't know if the Secretary IgA and AntiGliadin Antibodies were important in diagnosing adrenal fatigue. Because canary club does not offer those either. And direct labs offers all of these.
Kim, I did the ASI from DiagnosTechs & they ran those tests - the IgA & AntiGliadin Antibodies - it's more expensive when you order through the Canary Club - my doctor ordered mine but I believe you can just order the ASI directly from DiagnosTechs & just have your doctor sign it, it's only $99 for that. I can tell you everything that I had tested if you need to go that route & you're not sure that your doctor knows what to test for. Alternately, you could call DiagnosTechs, labs are usually very helpful when you're inquiring about which tests to order. The ASI has different tests within it that you can check or leave blank.

Kim (NocturnalDaze), I believe saliva testing to be much more accurate than blood for testing sex hormones. Just curious where you've read otherwise....
post #118 of 2286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Oh, I have another question. I used to take temps to chart my fertility. I don't bother anymore, but my temp was always really really low. Like 96.4. I know it's not normal, but is it related to this at all, does anyone know?
My temps have *always* been low, my thyroid came back fine but like Kim said, adrenal fatigue affects thyroid function, even if it doesn't show up in test results.
post #119 of 2286
Thanks Metasequoia- Sorry I haven't pm'd you back...it's been busy.

I actually don't have a dr and am doing this all on my own. So the direct labs and canary are the only ones that will let you do it without a dr signing off on it.

What I'm wondering is if the extra ones that are more expensive are really necessary in diagnosing AF?

Also, I am interested in the saliva/blood for hormones.

I need to make sure I do these tests right because I can't go back for anymore! My dh is having a cow about these as it is...he agrees with the doctors that it's "all in my head" or anxiety. :
post #120 of 2286
Thread Starter 
KimmiePie, go to the DiagnosTechs site, click on "Tests & Panels" in the colum on the left of your screen. In the first group of tests under "Adrenal Stress Index", click on "Overview for Doctors", it lists all of the tests run in the ASI & explains the purpose of each one. The 17-Hydroxyprogesterone is important, I can't remember exactly how my doctor explained it but it was important in making sure that my low cortisol wasn't caused by a defect in my hormonal cascade (I'm explaining it really poorly, but it's important to rule out.) Really, I'd give DiagnosTechs a call tomorrow.

The Canary Club includes the sex hormone testing too, doesn't it? My adrenal doctor didn't bother testing my sex hormones & he explained that he just assumed they were out of whack because my body was turning all hormones into cortisol. I already knew that my sex hormones were low after a blood test, but I also still haven't had my postpartum AF yet & Ds nurses like a champ 24/7. He said that my sex hormone levels wouldn't rise until we fixed the adrenal problem & stopped them from being diverted elsewhere.

HTH
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread