or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 3

post #41 of 2286
Just one more thing....why? Why do so many of us have this adrenal fatigue? Anyone know what the suspected causes of it are? High stress lifestyle??? poor diet? Just wondering...
Patti
post #42 of 2286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Is it safe to take DHEA while nursing?
Yes, but only after having a full ASI (adrenal stress index via saliva test.) If you're low on DHEA, it's okay to supplement bioidentically what you're lacking - but you need to make sure what your levels are & blood tests aren't reliable.

FYI: DHEA is an androgen, it often causes masculine side effects in women where as pregnenolone does not. My doctor (& Dr. Poesnecker - maybe Wilson too) use DHEA for their male patients & pregnenolone for their female patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpriya
Just one more thing....why? Why do so many of us have this adrenal fatigue? Anyone know what the suspected causes of it are? High stress lifestyle??? poor diet? Just wondering...
Both. We don't get enough sleep, we don't have the "village" that we're supposed to have, we're waaaay over-stressed & our diets aren't (usually) what they should be.

Think about just giving birth - most women nowadays are up taking care of other children within days!
post #43 of 2286
Is there a mail order saliva test place? I live in the middle of nowhere and I guarantee there's no one nearby who does it.
post #44 of 2286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Is there a mail order saliva test place? I live in the middle of nowhere and I guarantee there's no one nearby who does it.
See post #5.
post #45 of 2286
Woo hoo, this thread is conveniently back at the top for me.

I had my first appointment yesterday with a naturopath. Only one appointment in and this model of care is already a million times better than the conventional docs I've seen in the past. We spent 2 HOURS going through my health history. Why in the world did I not pursue this earlier?

I'm picking up my DiagnosTechs ASI collection kit from her as soon as she gets it in, then another couple weeks for the collection, mailing, and lab analysis. I'll tell you what I told her - I'm really afraid everything will come back 'normal' and I'll still have no answers. I'll update when I find out anything.
post #46 of 2286
I did read post 5, and from what I can tell from what I've read, a doctor has to order the test for you.
post #47 of 2286
To get your kit online you have to go thorough Canary Club (they use Diagnos-techs). You order it and their doctor signs of on it. A full thyroid, adrenal and sex hormone panel costs about $141.00.

http://thecanaryclub.org/content/view/196/52/
post #48 of 2286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
I did read post 5, and from what I can tell from what I've read, a doctor has to order the test for you.
You can order through the Canary Club or you can order the test & just have your regular doc sign for it - the results would be sent to both you & your doctor. I assumed that you had a doctor (or chiro) but perhaps you don't. I've ordered tests before & just showed up at my doc's office to have her sign & it only took a minute - no need to pay for an appointment or anything. If you do have a doc, would he/she just sign for you?
post #49 of 2286
Cyberpria- My HCP thinks the mercury in my amalgams is an underlying factor that made me susceptible (hence the gluten-free, casein-free diet). I know, for me, the stress of a year of spousal unemployment and getting pregnant in the middle of said year was the straw that broke the camel's back, but I think years of pathetic eating, not slowing down and enjoying life the way I should have, and the mercury were significant factors as well. I'm actually looking to get my amalgams removed in the Jan/Feb timeframe (before that I need to a-get healthier, and b-wean the little one, earlier than I had anticipated but I think the best balance possible for all of us).

And isn't doing the hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue thing at the same time fun? (note the sarcasm). I'm with you there.

And Metasequoia, I'm learning a lot from the thread. Thanks!
post #50 of 2286
My dh is a grad student. I don't have insurance. Most doctors won't see you at all if you don't have insurance. THanks for the info on the canary club.
post #51 of 2286
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
My dh is a grad student. I don't have insurance. Most doctors won't see you at all if you don't have insurance. THanks for the info on the canary club.
It doesn't need to be an MD. I have a naturopath (ND) signing mine. Considering ND's aren't even licensed in the state of Colorado, insurance is a non-issue - they're not covered. Sounds like a chiro could sign it also, I don't know any chiros that only accept insurance.

Are you sure he's not paying for insurance through the school's health center as part of his fees?
post #52 of 2286
Fascinating! My dh was dx w/this last winter by our ND. He spent big bux at our reg dr having multiple tests only to be told: "Son, you're fine. Just rest up some."

Interesting condition. He took Astragalus as his "main" supplement. He did recover now and is fine.

to all of us who are affected by it.
post #53 of 2286
Thanks so much for the Diagnos-Techs provider website. I found an MD who works with a ND and offers the saliva test and supplements, hormone testing and adrenal testing, etc. just a few miles away from me.

Off to send DH the link and explain why I need it...
post #54 of 2286
OK, I need some advice from you all. The MD in my area charges about $350 for a 40 minute initial consult and then you order your appropriate saliva and blood tests, and then about $150 for a follow up visit a month or two later with results and a plan presented to you. She doesn't bill insurance but says they will often cover a good part of the consult and blood tests if the patient self submits them.

Or there is a chiro about the same distance in the other direction on the diagnos-techs provider list that offers the test and has all the Standard Process supplements and specializes in nutrition among other things. I'm sure the inital consult is less and my insurance covers a certain amount of chiro visits every year (although I've used about 1/2 of them on a more "traditional" chiro when I strained my back moving a few months ago so I'd guess I'd have to switch chiros.)

Any advice on which of the two I should see? It seems like I'd get more out of the chiro for less $$ unless the MD is very experienced in adrenal fatigue, but if both of them can read saliva test results it might not matter and that's what I really want right now. (And to show thrifty DH that we're getting our money's worth!)

Help.... --Kelly
post #55 of 2286
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurturedbirth View Post
It doesn't need to be an MD. I have a naturopath (ND) signing mine. Considering ND's aren't even licensed in the state of Colorado, insurance is a non-issue - they're not covered. Sounds like a chiro could sign it also, I don't know any chiros that only accept insurance.

Are you sure he's not paying for insurance through the school's health center as part of his fees?
Yeah, he pays for insurance for himself. Insurance for me only, not the kids, would be $800/mo. That's half his salary, before taxes.

There are 2 new ND's in our town, but their fees are astronomical. I already ordered the tests through the canary club. I tsays they won't interpret them for you, though, so I guess I'll have to see a doc. I'm planning on going to the student health clinic since they give me the student spouse discount, and if they can't help me, I guess I'll have to suck it up and pay the $300 to see the ND. That's just for the first appt. I think it's less per appt after the first.
post #56 of 2286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookesmom View Post
OK, I need some advice from you all. The MD in my area charges about $350 for a 40 minute initial consult and then you order your appropriate saliva and blood tests, and then about $150 for a follow up visit a month or two later with results and a plan presented to you. She doesn't bill insurance but says they will often cover a good part of the consult and blood tests if the patient self submits them.

Or there is a chiro about the same distance in the other direction on the diagnos-techs provider list that offers the test and has all the Standard Process supplements and specializes in nutrition among other things. I'm sure the inital consult is less and my insurance covers a certain amount of chiro visits every year (although I've used about 1/2 of them on a more "traditional" chiro when I strained my back moving a few months ago so I'd guess I'd have to switch chiros.)

Any advice on which of the two I should see? It seems like I'd get more out of the chiro for less $$ unless the MD is very experienced in adrenal fatigue, but if both of them can read saliva test results it might not matter and that's what I really want right now. (And to show thrifty DH that we're getting our money's worth!)

Help.... --Kelly
$350 is outrageous! How do any doctors expect people to pay this kind of money? And then $150 for the follow-ups?!

Here's what I would do: Call Clymer Healing Center & ask how much it costs for over the phone treatment. While you're talking to them (Krista will probably answer, she's German & really nice) ask if *they* have a list of providers who know about AF. Fwiw, my awesome doctor wasn't listed on the Diagnos-Techs site!!! And he treats people all over the world!

If that is too much, I'd go with a chiro, $45 is a reasonable price for a visit, I've spent anywhere from $35-$65 for an adjustment but $45 seems to be the common cost.
It sounds like the chiro you found *might* know what he/she's doing, but my chiro also has supplements for AF & I'd self-treat before I allowed her to teat my adrenal fatigue. Even my regular doc *thinks* she knows what she's doing but the experience just isn't there. I realize how lucky I am to have found a doctor who specializes in this AND is nearby.

I'd take the chiro over the MD. And try to get the two books I listed in the first post, it's good to get a basic understnding of this so that you know if your doctor/chiro is on the right path.
post #57 of 2286
Thanks for the advice. I will do *something* this week. I need to take action!

I'd love to hear what kind of practitioner others went to and whether you had any insurance coverage but most importantly good results.

thanks, Kelly
post #58 of 2286
: After reading this thread, I just know this is my problem. Luckily I have an appt in a few days with a ND/homeopath. I almost asked my MD for a prescription for prozac. I think I'll try the testing and natural route first.

Thanks!
post #59 of 2286
I am almost positive I have AF!!

I posted on the Thyroid thread about being "borderline" hypo....

I feel foggy brained just typing this out....

I have not had the saliva test done, but I recently had FULL (I think) blood work done adn that is how I found out about my thyroid and high cholesterol.

Is it possible to still have AF and your cortisol levels be normal??

I have all the blood test results in front of me
post #60 of 2286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoNatalee View Post
Is it possible to still have AF and your cortisol levels be normal??

I have all the blood test results in front of me
If you're going by blood work, yes. Saliva tests are the only way to go for AF. Check out the different results between my blood & saliva results in the first post.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread