DD is 6 months old. We have 7 carrying devices.
What has worked for us so far: in order of appearance in our house
Need? Well not sure but, they all have their use, see details...
1) Ring sling. Never used it craddle hold, she hated, but tummy to tummy even when she was a NB. Still very useful for quick shopping trips in/out of car.
2) Stretchy wrap (cuddly). Tummy to tummy as well. She was in it a few hours a day I'd say from 3 to 8 weeks. Then she started to like throwing her head back although she could hold it and it scared me. Don't use it anymore, not enough support to my liking.
However, if I would have known about this one, http://www.babybuddha.ca/index.php
, I would have used it instead of the cuddly.
3) Homemade woven wrap. Only used it when the stretchy was in the wash and she wanted to nap on me. Guess never really "needed" that one much.
4) Kozy. It solved the throwing the head back problem. Used it from about 8 weeks to 6 months. Very very handy item, although I have never managed to get a comfortable back carry with it, it is nice for the front and hip, and still my best carrier if I will need to nurse. DH used it occasionnally, but he still finds the straps "girly"
5) Framed pack. DH does the carrying when hiking and he sweats too much when she is against him. He likes the frame pack. I don't use it.
6) Homemade Mesh pouch. Superuseful for the shower and the waterpark. Nice for nakey butt baby too. I find that her bum slides out of the ring sling if she doesn't have a diaper on, but the pouch being deeper works just fine. Also folds up so small as a "just in case" carrier in my purse.
7) Ergo. Allowed me to finally manage a comfortable back carry. And it is an everyday carrier that DH likes! He has not touched the stroller since the Ergo started living in out house.