or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › I want to give up scrapbooking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I want to give up scrapbooking - Page 3

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPie View Post
... Frankly we would barely have a photograph of our son at all if not for my mother who documents his every move, and fortunately for us she somehow got herself into scrapbooking too so we have one massive album for his first year and oh my god FOUR for his second year....
LOL I can totally envision myself being like your mom! I call myself a photomaniac. And I imagine when I'm a grandmother I'll have more time to scrapbook than I do now!
post #42 of 51
I'm doing baby book scrapbooks for both my kids for their first year, maybe a few pages for each year after that. Other than that I'm using shutterfly - I do one family album for every year and I'm actually up to date! I honestly can't believe some people do scrapbooking for ALL their pictures. It seems way too expensive and time consuming. Check out shutterfly now has an album for baby's first year. Maybe you could do that for him? And it would be "special" since its different from what you did for the other two kids.
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
This thread is making me really glad I never took up scrapbooking in the first place. :
Me too. : Just the other day I was thinking about starting DS'...he's 2 now and it's completely blank. And it's one of those nice expensive ones from Creative Memories.
post #44 of 51
Oh dang, I just noticed this thread is a month old.
post #45 of 51
I have switched to photo books from scrapbooking, too. I still haven't finished my WEDDING album, and that was three years ago! My goal now is to complete the wedding album and then sell off the scrap supplies. I made a photo book of our formal photos and just have the weekend events - rehearsal dinner, getting ready, ceremony, reception - to scrap.

I'm making a photo album of DS's first two years - he turns 2 on Sunday - and am printing one for us, one for each grandparent, and one for him when he gets older. I love that it's so easy to put them together, they're cheap, then they take so little space to store. Plus, if I lose or damage it, I can just reprint it. (This happened with the formal wedding album. I just bought one more - can't do that with a scrapbook!)
post #46 of 51
If you know someone who would be willing to use your supplie and create a scrapbook for your son with the pictures you provide--- I mean, then YOU wouldn't have to do it and you would still have SOMETHING to show him....
post #47 of 51
What a timely thread....even if it is old

I just dragged out all of my scrapbook stuff again last weekend. I have 10 years worth of scrapbooks. I am only 10 months behind which is enough to make me panic..... I have hundreds of dollars worth of supplies. I am not the type to squirrel this kind of stuff away but people buy me supplies for gifts. For. ten. years. I enjoy it but have found less and less joy from it over the years. The actual time I spend doing it is very enjoyable but no one ever looks at them. In fact, I am pretty sure my eyes are the only ones that have looked at the last two year's worth of albums. Dh is not interested. Dd is indifferent. My friends would rather hang themselves then look. Even my mom and MIL seem to have zero interest. Why am I doing this?!?!?! Not to mention, I am starting to feel like they are childish and messy looking compared to what I could do much faster online. It takes up a good portion of my crafting space. It is messy. And I either have to sell my soul to the devil to get dh to watch dd while I do it or I have to set her all up with her own stuff and spend more than half of my efforts helping her and keeping her from making a HUGE mess. I could be spending my money and time on knitting. Knitting things for people who appreciate the goods. Like ME!

I am not sure I actually have the guts to give it up though.

Anyone else MAJORLY into it in the past and walk away?
post #48 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Anyone else MAJORLY into it in the past and walk away?
Yes - ME! I am the OP, and thanks to this thread I have finally been able to break free.

To give you an idea of how "into" scrapbooking I used to be .... I used to teach classes. I had an entire room of my house devoted to scrapbooking and storing my supplies. I was majorly addicted.

But after reading this thread, I just decided to give it up. It wasn't fun for me anymore, it felt like a chore and a weight on my shoulders.

I Freecycled thousands of dollars worth of stuff. I could have Ebayed it all, but once I decided to let it all go I just wanted it gone, KWIM? I bundled it up into lots, and the people who got it were all so excited and appreciative, it made me feel great.

I think the one comment that really clicked for me was when someone here said, "Do you really want to be passing the clutter of all these albums onto your children?" No, I didn't!

My advice is, if you want to give it up, just do it! I haven't regretted it at all. I do the online photobooks now and they are wonderful! :
post #49 of 51
I am officially addicted to Shutterfly. G'bye large totes of scrapbooking stuff!! You are going into my garage sale.
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenRay View Post
Yes - ME! I am the OP, and thanks to this thread I have finally been able to break free.

To give you an idea of how "into" scrapbooking I used to be .... I used to teach classes. I had an entire room of my house devoted to scrapbooking and storing my supplies. I was majorly addicted.

But after reading this thread, I just decided to give it up. It wasn't fun for me anymore, it felt like a chore and a weight on my shoulders.

I Freecycled thousands of dollars worth of stuff. I could have Ebayed it all, but once I decided to let it all go I just wanted it gone, KWIM? I bundled it up into lots, and the people who got it were all so excited and appreciative, it made me feel great.

I think the one comment that really clicked for me was when someone here said, "Do you really want to be passing the clutter of all these albums onto your children?" No, I didn't!

My advice is, if you want to give it up, just do it! I haven't regretted it at all. I do the online photobooks now and they are wonderful! :
Thanks for sharing!

I have one tiny glitch and I know I am getting OT here.....

But when I first got married (10 years ago) I made "mother's books" for both mothers with a promise that for every Mother's Day and every Christmas I would make them a page to add. I have never missed one. How do I weasel my way out of that? I do not think my mom would care if she got a computer generated one. She seems to not care about the ones I make. Neither does my MIL but is the type that would like to pin something like this on me. Should I keep enough stuff on hand to do those pages or should I just walk away and deal with the fallout?
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Thanks for sharing!

I have one tiny glitch and I know I am getting OT here.....

But when I first got married (10 years ago) I made "mother's books" for both mothers with a promise that for every Mother's Day and every Christmas I would make them a page to add. I have never missed one. How do I weasel my way out of that? I do not think my mom would care if she got a computer generated one. She seems to not care about the ones I make. Neither does my MIL but is the type that would like to pin something like this on me. Should I keep enough stuff on hand to do those pages or should I just walk away and deal with the fallout?
I think you should just make a digital page and get it printed out the correct size. If either one of them says anything, tell them that you've gone digital.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › I want to give up scrapbooking