or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › Career Step / Medical Transcription
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Career Step / Medical Transcription - Page 2

post #21 of 46
thanks!

btw- uscareerinstitute is (according to the website) an Institutional Member of American Association for Medical Transcription (AAMT) that does that mean vs an AAMT "approved school" I wonder?
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
thanks!

btw- uscareerinstitute is (according to the website) an Institutional Member of American Association for Medical Transcription (AAMT) that does that mean vs an AAMT "approved school" I wonder?
The school that held the MT seminar here (I mentioned in another post) that had over 100 open complaints with the BBB, had mentioned on their website that they were an institutional member. I looked it up on the AAMT website, but couldn't find any information. I know that it does NOT mean they are 'approved'. I'd be curious to know 'what' it meant, though, if any one knows. :
post #23 of 46
I was also able to get a scholarship. It was only 10%, but that still knocked about 300 dollars off of the price. They have lots of ways to pay; they don't just expect the entire amount in one lump sum.
post #24 of 46
Anyone know anything about the coding course? I have been thinking of doing a course throuh career step for some time. I think I would enjoy coding more, but from what I have read from people, transcription from home is alot easier to break into than coding. Anyone know?
post #25 of 46
For anyone who's done this (specifically, Career Step) and has a job as a MT now, did you do the Basic, Gold or Platinum sign up? I didn't know there was a much more affordable basic plan until I looked at the paper enrollment form! But if it isn't going to be enough to give me the education I need (for a good paying job to support my entire family), then I'd go for the Gold or Platinum.
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
For anyone who's done this (specifically, Career Step) and has a job as a MT now, did you do the Basic, Gold or Platinum sign up? I didn't know there was a much more affordable basic plan until I looked at the paper enrollment form! But if it isn't going to be enough to give me the education I need (for a good paying job to support my entire family), then I'd go for the Gold or Platinum.

I don't know anything about the basic. Do you mean text?

I signed up for the Gold option, with the intention of upgrading to Platinum soon after graduating. However, I received a job offer so quickly that I never needed the extra job placement assistance.
post #27 of 46
The basic is for if you want to work "in house" I found out.

I just got the application and scholarship paperwork finished and am sending it out tomorrow. Wish me luck that I get enough of a scholarship to actually be able to do this!

I marked you as the referral Billie, thanks for all the info!
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
The basic is for if you want to work "in house" I found out.

I just got the application and scholarship paperwork finished and am sending it out tomorrow. Wish me luck that I get enough of a scholarship to actually be able to do this!

I marked you as the referral Billie, thanks for all the info!
Best of luck!!! Let us know how it works out!!
post #29 of 46
Hi,
I was talking to a lady at our church today about medical billing work she does. Is medical transcription is the same as medical billing or is there any difference, if so what?
I would like to work from home and I'm looking to find something to do.
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallyspeaking View Post
Hi,
I was talking to a lady at our church today about medical billing work she does. Is medical transcription is the same as medical billing or is there any difference, if so what?
I would like to work from home and I'm looking to find something to do.
They aren't the same. Medical billing is where you process insurance, medicare, medicaid, etc. for each patient encounter, and handle the financial end of things.

Medical Transcription is where you type (transcribe) the doctors dictation from each patient encounter, more the medical records end of things.

The school I attended offered a coding and billing course, as well. I don't know much about the field, though. I have heard that it is harder (both the career and finding work), but I don't know how true that is.
post #31 of 46
Hey y'all,
I'm not going to trash any schools, but if you are wanting to get into MT or coding work, it would really be in your best interest to really do your homework on your school before shelling out any money. MTCHAT.com is truly the #1 resource for prospective MTs.
And no, I'm not affiliated in any way, I'm just a lurker there.

Good luck!
post #32 of 46
JulieNicole23--
I am a health information coder. I have been doing it for 7 years. I didn't do any of these courses. I have a 2 year degree from an AHIMA accredited college. Coding from home is difficult to get into for someone new in the field. Hospital experience is a requirement. Hope this helps. Any more questions feel free to ask.
Kara
post #33 of 46
Oh my word, there are school wars My head is spinning from all the back and forth I've read since last night. Andews seems to heavily influence mtchat.com, and it's mostly anti-career step there, so I'm looking for another neutral source. This sucks. I was all excited and now I'm back to square one
post #34 of 46
I'm not going to get into the school wars either. In fact, I stated in my original post on this subject that ANY of the 'AAMT' approved schools will give you the best chance after graduation. I think they are ALL great schools, and all of them have "met the standards set by the MT Education Program Approval program."

I do agree with you, LJ, when you state that you should really do your homework before shelling out money (I actually spent MANY MANY months researching the options). However, I have to, respectively, disagree with MTchat being the #1 reference for any prospective MTs. I think the American Association of Medical Transcription is the #1 reference for prospective MTs. As with any forum (or large group of people) you will find very different views. Most of the CS supporters don't venture to other MT forums, they stick with the one provided by the school. For myself, I don't know much about the other two schools and don't believe it is my place to bash schools I don't know much about.

Call Career Step. Call Andrews. Call M-Tec. I even went as far as calling several National MT employers and speaking to their human resources team. Arm yourself with all the information and then make the decision that is right for you. Some students would rather have more structure while others would like to have more freedom in their learning. What might be right for one person may not be right for another.

In the end, one of the big factors was price, for me. The other two were about double the price. But, I do believe ANY of the AAMT schools are great choices.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie View Post

I even went as far as calling several National MT employers and speaking to their human resources team.
This is absolutely key, in my opinion. I have talked with three over the phone, and one I met on accident on DiaperSwappers and I have learned more talking with these people that I have in months of researching online.

I was surprised that they were so willing to take time out of their busy schedules to talk with me, but they were so helpful and friendly, I am really glad I did it.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpat2006 View Post
JulieNicole23--
I am a health information coder. I have been doing it for 7 years. I didn't do any of these courses. I have a 2 year degree from an AHIMA accredited college. Coding from home is difficult to get into for someone new in the field. Hospital experience is a requirement. Hope this helps. Any more questions feel free to ask.
Kara
Does anyone else code? I am looking into the difference between coding and MT. I have medical experience (was an EMT and CNA, etc.) until about 3 years ago. Would this help? I can't really work outside the house.
post #37 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
I just got the application and scholarship paperwork finished and am sending it out tomorrow. Wish me luck that I get enough of a scholarship to actually be able to do this!
Did you do the essay scholarship?
Do you know if they offer any financial assitance other than the loans to make payments?
post #38 of 46
I got 20% off but still can't afford it, so I gave up. They have I think 2, 3 and 4 equal payment plans, then you need to get a loan.
post #39 of 46
Is the Career Step program completely online? Does it require using chat rooms, or just regular transcription/word processing programs?
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Is the Career Step program completely online? Does it require using chat rooms, or just regular transcription/word processing programs?
It is completely online. You can type the reports into a word processing program and then copy/past into the school website, or you can simply type it up in the area provided on the site.

It doesn't require chat rooms, but the school does offer the use of a student/graduate forum for anyone interested. You won't do your school work there, but you can ask questions, get help, or just visit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Work from Home Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › Career Step / Medical Transcription