I'm in!1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
I'm Heather, a SAHM to a 5 yo boy and a 2 yo girl. My partner has a good job and also does extra contract work to provide for us financially. We should have enough money but we end up putting things on the credit card - things we don't need, food we could make at home instead, things that could be gotten for less, etc.
2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
We want to move in about a year and I want us to be in very good financial condition when we do. This includes having NO credit card debt, having savings, and doing repairs to our house. I also want to model better financial behavior to our children - spending what we need, delayed gratification, etc. I want to live within our means and I want our spending to reflect our values.
3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
1) Remove credit cards and debit cards from our wallets. Use the debit card only when needed for gas, groceries, etc. Use budgeted cash for other things.
2) Eat at home. Meal plan to make that easier, stock the freezer.
3) Try to reduce the grocery budget by buying only what we need.
4) Free or low-priced entertainment.
5) NO DRIVE-THRUS!