or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › LDS Mamas and Papas #43
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LDS Mamas and Papas #43 - Page 23

post #441 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
I'm pretty sure that one couple didn't get a revelation, since I'm sure God wouldn't ahve said "use a Rabbi to make it extra specially Abrahamic."

ALSO, she was so mean in the forums I have a hard time imagining the spirit working through her very often, but that's just my assessment.

Sorry - still bitter about some hateful emails she sent me...

By the way, I thought I'd bring this up. She said she was dusting her fit off of me. That's both funny and shocking.

It's funny because that's a priesthood ordinance reserved for special circumstances. Women can't do it, not even sister missionaries.

It's shocking because it designates that person or household as no longer getting any more chances to hear the truth. That's why it was just taught to the apostles. It's not an action to take lightly.

I told her so and she came back with how women use the priesthood in the temple so she can do it, too.

It was really weird and I had to block her emails because I felt so sticky and wrong when I read them. Especially that one. In her mind she basically condemned me and felt she had the power and duty to do it. How creepy is that???

Now I need to watch the Simpsons so I can feel light again.
Wow Alisa, do you know everyone in LDS NFL cyber land? A few vague references and you know who it is? Totally snark free, I'm genuinely curious.
post #442 of 582
So after today's discussions, I updated my signature, for a while at least. Maybe it will make an impression on someone.
post #443 of 582
RasJane, my hubby isn't a fan of bumper stickers either. I made these magnetic so we can remove them if necessary -- that helped some. But mostly I just did it and told him he couldn't stop me. (Not that I'm advocating being contentious -- but it was right for us). He is used to them by now and had even taken the role of explaining them to a few people who ask. Scout camp was probably the oddest place to discuss it! We do get some weird looks in traffic, though! I actually got one compliment on the freeway -- a car pulled alongside and the passenger said she likes them, giving me a thumbs-up. Mostly I get people pointing at my bumper and laughing, though, heehee!
post #444 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmer View Post
RasJane, my hubby isn't a fan of bumper stickers either. I made these magnetic so we can remove them if necessary -- that helped some. But mostly I just did it and told him he couldn't stop me. (Not that I'm advocating being contentious -- but it was right for us). He is used to them by now and had even taken the role of explaining them to a few people who ask. Scout camp was probably the oddest place to discuss it! We do get some weird looks in traffic, though! I actually got one compliment on the freeway -- a car pulled alongside and the passenger said she likes them, giving me a thumbs-up. Mostly I get people pointing at my bumper and laughing, though, heehee!
Nemmer, you live in the Provo Area, right? If so, I think Alisa and I were the one who gave you the thumbs up ... this was a little bit ago, right?
post #445 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
Wow Alisa, do you know everyone in LDS NFL cyber land? A few vague references and you know who it is? Totally snark free, I'm genuinely curious.
I can't imagine there are too many people out there who receive inspiration to use a rabbi to circumcize their son to abide by outdated Abrahamic law. Maybe there's this weird group of them...we should all be afraid.

I help moderate a natural LDS mamas group that Jenni runs. Apparently this person came on two years ago and said we should all be practicing polygamy right now.
post #446 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Nemmer, you live in the Provo Area, right? If so, I think Alisa and I were the one who gave you the thumbs up ... this was a little bit ago, right?
Is it "Breastfeeding for all, Circumcision for none?" Because if it is, that WAS us. Small world!
post #447 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
Wow Alisa, do you know everyone in LDS NFL cyber land? A few vague references and you know who it is? Totally snark free, I'm genuinely curious.
just not our little corner of LDS NFL heaven. she just doesn't love us.
just giving you a hard time, Alisa.
post #448 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Apparently this person came on two years ago and said we should all be practicing polygamy right now.
and who made her Prophet? :
post #449 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
and who made her Prophet? :
Didn't you get the memo?
post #450 of 582
I'm cracking up at you guys seeing each other on the freeway. That is totally bizarre, and something I don't think I could hope to have happen to me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
I can't imagine there are too many people out there who receive inspiration to use a rabbi to circumcize their son to abide by outdated Abrahamic law. Maybe there's this weird group of them...we should all be afraid.

I help moderate a natural LDS mamas group that Jenni runs. Apparently this person came on two years ago and said we should all be practicing polygamy right now.
Haha, the plot thickens. There are some amazing people out there. The one thing I did get out of this weird discussion with her is the idea that things will be restored. She talked about how circ was done in the Endowment House, because the saints really felt they were reestablishing Zion. And well, by that logic, polygamy was restored, and now is no more, so I think we can say that we are really done with them both now, at least on this earth. But then I began to wonder. If polygamy will exist in the next life, though whether or not you and I or anyone else of this generation will be part of it is another debate, what if circ will be as well? Just for sake of argument, mind you. My initial reaction is that circ is not an eternal principle like polygamy, and that if we know not a hair of the head shall be lost, well, a whole lot of men will be surprised come resurrection day. Not sure if this ramble makes sense. It's nearly midnight, and I've had some wicked insomnia since we got back from our vacation. Must...sleep...
post #451 of 582
I just lost a very long post.

:

Essentially, it is this: the most important prophet for us to follow is the current one. Yes, the previous ones are important, which is why we are studying them in RS and EQ, but the one we need to pay most attention to is President Hinckley and the current 12 apostles.

If you ever receive inspiration in direct conflict with something you have heard President Hinckley or his apostles say, or contrary to a current official statement fron the Church, I guarantee that inspiration has not come from God.
post #452 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post

2--On the whole circ thing...I just wanted to chip in that I would believe that there are cases (very rare) where I could see it being an acceptable idea. That is in the case of a boy who is handicapped to the degree that he will never be able to care for himself. I have a friend--LDS, and quite crunchy--who has a disabled son. If he ever leaves her care, it will be to some kind of assisted living facility, because he will never be able to really care for himself. She isn't in favor of circumcision in general, but felt that it was the appropriate choice for him, since it will always be other people helping him bathe etc. I think that, in a similar situation, I would consider it. Not for an average kid, of course, but I can see personal revelation *for* it in a case like that, kwim?

Would you say that about a disabled girl? After all, there's a whole lot more "there" to clean (WAY MORE "nooks and crannies" than intact boys have.)
post #453 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
doesn't d&c 74 pretty clearly say that circumcision is to be done away with? .
Also Moroni 8:8
post #454 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Would you say that about a disabled girl? After all, there's a whole lot more "there" to clean (WAY MORE "nooks and crannies" than intact boys have.)
My sister is autistic and every time she has a period she panicks, cries, sometimes screams and throws things, becomes violent, and talks about it being horrible every moment of the day, and she's had them for five years now. I have never made the suggestion, but I've always thought it might be smart to find a way to end her periods so she never has them. It's probably not ethical, but it would certainly make her life easier.

So I can see why a parent might consider something normally distasteful or unethical. I wouldn't do it myself, but I can still see where the thought process came from.
post #455 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
My sister is autistic and every time she has a period she panicks, cries, sometimes screams and throws things, becomes violent, and talks about it being horrible every moment of the day, and she's had them for five years now. I have never made the suggestion, but I've always thought it might be smart to find a way to end her periods so she never has them. It's probably not ethical, but it would certainly make her life easier.

.
Your sister is old enough now to be a part of that decision-making process. That is a lot different than doing it to her as a baby when she wouldn't have had any say.
post #456 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
And well, by that logic, polygamy was restored, and now is no more, so I think we can say that we are really done with them both now, at least on this earth. But then I began to wonder. If polygamy will exist in the next life, though whether or not you and I or anyone else of this generation will be part of it is another debate, what if circ will be as well? Just for sake of argument, mind you. My initial reaction is that circ is not an eternal principle like polygamy, and that if we know not a hair of the head shall be lost, well, a whole lot of men will be surprised come resurrection day.
There are some very well-versed saints that I highly respect that do not believe that polygamy will ever be a part of the eternal way of life. The BoM would seem to support this in its view of polygamy. Sorry to be so vague, but I just wanted to say, I don't know, BUT, I tend to think that polygamy was more of a test, a trial, and a necessity for that time "to raise up seed" and to get more worthy women into the temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Essentially, it is this: the most important prophet for us to follow is the current one. <snip> If you ever receive inspiration in direct conflict with something you have heard President Hinckley or his apostles say, or contrary to a current official statement fron the Church, I guarantee that inspiration has not come from God.
Hear, hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Also Moroni 8:8
Hi A&A! Are you LDS? I didn't know!
post #457 of 582
I have nursed in Sacrament meeting a few times. I don't go out of my way to nurse in there, but if there baby is hungry then I feed him/her. My husband is the bishop, so we sit in the second row right in front of him. I never really considered what his counselors thought of it, but I figured if they have a problem they can talk to him. I have 4 kids. When this 5th baby is born I'd like to know what people expect me to do when the baby is hungry. I think it would disrupt the meeting more to parade out of the meeting with 4 kids trailing behind me. I guess I could get someone to sit with them, but I'd prefer to just sit tight and nurse in my seat. I figure if people have a problem with something I am doing, they can let DH know.

It's a little tough for me at times because I feel so much different than the majority of my ward. We are a pretty good mix of elderly couples, families in the baby-having stage, and new married couples. The majority, if not all, of the new moms are very mainstream. Most of the moms start off breastfeeding, but they don't keep at it for long. I think that is terribly sad considering most of the families having babies right now are the students at the osteopathic medical school. You would think of all people they would know the benefits. There was one other mom who nursed her son for close to 2 years and cloth diapered, but she has moved away. The rest just try to give me advice on weaning when it gets to 18mo-2 years and I'm still nursing. As far as I know, we are the only ones that don't circ. There is ONE other cloth diapering mom, so that is nice, but that is where our similarities end. I saw her handing a Babywise book to a new mom several months ago. I made sure to share with the other mom, the fact that she was also a friend helped, that to follow the schedule in that book would hurt her supply and breastfeeding relationship and that was only the start. I'm pretty sure she ditched the book, because not long after she got the book, she started pumping for whatever reason, got mastitis and ended up in the hospital for 4 days.

Anyway, sorry for the long and ranty post. I just feel very out of place in the parenting part of our ward. The people are all very nice and wonderful. We have a very loving ward, for the most part. They are just uninformed when it comes to things of this sort. I try and tell myself that as the bishop's wife I have the opportunity to be an example, but that doesn't make it easier. I just keep doing what I know is best for my kids and let others feel/think whatever they want. I keep praying for just one family to move into the ward that I can relate to. If I had just one other mother that shared my thoughts on NFL, it would help. Anyone want to move to southwestern Virginia? :
post #458 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Is it "Breastfeeding for all, Circumcision for none?" Because if it is, that WAS us. Small world!
Yes, that's it! I also have "a foreskin is not a birth defect." How funny that it was you guys! It totally made my day!
post #459 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmer View Post
Yes, that's it! I also have "a foreskin is not a birth defect." How funny that it was you guys! It totally made my day!
Ok now what are the odds of that?
post #460 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticmama View Post
I have nursed in Sacrament meeting a few times. I don't go out of my way to nurse in there, but if there baby is hungry then I feed him/her. My husband is the bishop, so we sit in the second row right in front of him. I never really considered what his counselors thought of it, but I figured if they have a problem they can talk to him. I have 4 kids. When this 5th baby is born I'd like to know what people expect me to do when the baby is hungry. I think it would disrupt the meeting more to parade out of the meeting with 4 kids trailing behind me. I guess I could get someone to sit with them, but I'd prefer to just sit tight and nurse in my seat. I figure if people have a problem with something I am doing, they can let DH know.

It's a little tough for me at times because I feel so much different than the majority of my ward. We are a pretty good mix of elderly couples, families in the baby-having stage, and new married couples. The majority, if not all, of the new moms are very mainstream. Most of the moms start off breastfeeding, but they don't keep at it for long. I think that is terribly sad considering most of the families having babies right now are the students at the osteopathic medical school. You would think of all people they would know the benefits. There was one other mom who nursed her son for close to 2 years and cloth diapered, but she has moved away. The rest just try to give me advice on weaning when it gets to 18mo-2 years and I'm still nursing. As far as I know, we are the only ones that don't circ. There is ONE other cloth diapering mom, so that is nice, but that is where our similarities end. I saw her handing a Babywise book to a new mom several months ago. I made sure to share with the other mom, the fact that she was also a friend helped, that to follow the schedule in that book would hurt her supply and breastfeeding relationship and that was only the start. I'm pretty sure she ditched the book, because not long after she got the book, she started pumping for whatever reason, got mastitis and ended up in the hospital for 4 days.

Anyway, sorry for the long and ranty post. I just feel very out of place in the parenting part of our ward. The people are all very nice and wonderful. We have a very loving ward, for the most part. They are just uninformed when it comes to things of this sort. I try and tell myself that as the bishop's wife I have the opportunity to be an example, but that doesn't make it easier. I just keep doing what I know is best for my kids and let others feel/think whatever they want. I keep praying for just one family to move into the ward that I can relate to. If I had just one other mother that shared my thoughts on NFL, it would help. Anyone want to move to southwestern Virginia? :
lol Where exactly in VA are you? I'd love to have a crunchy LDS mama to hang out with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › LDS Mamas and Papas #43