or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › October 2007 › For the working mamas..pet peeves
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For the working mamas..pet peeves - Page 2

post #21 of 33
She needs to be told that a hospital birth isn't safe either. When she gets pregnant, you should deluge her with horror stories :P
post #22 of 33
No real pet peeves since I work with a bunch of nurses and they are "pretty good"...but I teach and I'm getting spoiled now that I'm off for another month. I go back to work at the 8 month mark and work until the end... so I'm just trying to get alot done now before I go back! Then it'll be busy with 2!!!
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron View Post
She needs to be told that a hospital birth isn't safe either. When she gets pregnant, you should deluge her with horror stories :P
Yeah, I thought about that, but I hate to give any expectant mom horror stories. Just doesn't seem fair.

Of course, that won't stop me from doing it BEFORE she gets pg... :
post #24 of 33
I work in the Recovery Room at one of the local hospitals.
I HATE JULY!!!
Let me tell you why....

Two months ago all the Medical Students graduated Medical School and now they think they are all that and a bag of chips just because they can now put MD behind their name. Well let me tell you what big boy; I have worked in this joint for 11 years and I might, just might, know a little bit more than you!

Word to the wise- Never have your elective procedures done in July and August!
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge View Post
Word to the wise- Never have your elective procedures done in July and August!
I have a friend who scheduled a procedure for June 30th for that very reason!

Okay, I only work p/t on the weekends, but I work at fitness gym, and just seeing the skinny women working out and getting buff drives me crazy. I want to say, "I used to look like that too! (except maybe for the skinny part.)" Seriously, I go home and feel like a giant lump of... just a lump.
post #26 of 33
At least you can discuss pregnancy with your coworkers. I have one coworker that is 2 years older than me and has been married for about 6 months longer than me. She has been unable to conceive as of yet and insists on treating me like the woman who stole her baby. My other coworkers and I cannot mention my belly or any fact dealing with the baby without her getting angry and making snide comments. She told me that I did not deserve to have a baby because we were not trying and it was not planned this soon. I'll admit that a week post-wedding was pretty soon, but we still love this child and want him/her. She hasn't spoken to me since I started showing(not an exaggeration)!! I am praying for her to be able to conceive and I hope everything works out for her especially since medically there is no reason that they have not been successful, but I do not like the fact that I am treated like a lepper since I am apparently fertile. It makes our work environment very unpleasant that's for sure.:
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Yeah, I thought about that, but I hate to give any expectant mom horror stories. Just doesn't seem fair.

Of course, that won't stop me from doing it BEFORE she gets pg... :
Thanks for that. As a mom having a hospital birth with m/w, I would be pretty peeved if a co-worker starting giving me horror stories about hospital births simply because it was not the choice she made. I know the pros and cons of my choice, and of homebirths, so wouldn't appreciate being told by someone I just work with I was doing something wrong

Just my two cents.
post #28 of 33
Thread Starter 
Yep....now I get to add touching my pregnant belly to the list.

I was at the microwave yesterday heating up my lunch and this woman who i barely talk to started rubbing my belly. I wanted to be rude and slap her hand away but I was at work. Next time i see her though i'm going to tell her not to touch my stomach. I kinda froze when she touched it and didn't know what to do. I already have space issues with people, and being pregnant makes it worse. BLAH. Why is it that people always want to rub the belly, like there is a sign that says "Rub me". Is a genie going to come out? Um nope.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
I would be pretty peeved if a co-worker starting giving me horror stories about hospital births simply because it was not the choice she made.
No, not because she's making a different choice, but because she's now trying to convince the homebirthing coworker that homebirth is dangerous, and because she refuses to educate herself on the topic. Seems like if she goes harping on the pregnant homebirther about the dangers of homebirth, we can harp on her about the dangers of hospital birth. :P

(Not that we should, because we're smarter and nicer than she is, but that it would be fair.)

Wow Jessica, that is totally awful of your ttc coworker! Way to ruin everyone's day.

Smudge, that's some good info about the recent medical grads. Yeah, scary.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron View Post
No, not because she's making a different choice, but because she's now trying to convince the homebirthing coworker that homebirth is dangerous, and because she refuses to educate herself on the topic. Seems like if she goes harping on the pregnant homebirther about the dangers of homebirth, we can harp on her about the dangers of hospital birth. :P

(Not that we should, because we're smarter and nicer than she is, but that it would be fair.)
Ok that's fair
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethyspirit View Post
Why is it that people always want to rub the belly, like there is a sign that says "Rub me". Is a genie going to come out? Um nope.
Now you tell me! I thought this baby was going to grant me my every wish and desire
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmack45 View Post
At least you can discuss pregnancy with your coworkers. I have one coworker that is 2 years older than me and has been married for about 6 months longer than me. She has been unable to conceive as of yet and insists on treating me like the woman who stole her baby.
Wow - that really sucks. I was lucky I guess that of the two people who have been trying really hard at my work one had her baby in April (IVF) and the other is due 3 weeks afte me. Whew! I think that's sad, though, I have a friend who's trying to adopt and she sends me baby websites and another who finally decided not to have kids and she's helping with my shower. I know it's hard for them and I so appreciate that they're happy for me. It seems like everyone I know is having trouble conceiving, so I feel really, really blessed that this was so easy for us.
post #33 of 33
Well, as someone who went through years of infertility and more tests, treatments, etc. than I care to remember, I do know it is hard to be around pg women when you feel like it may never happen for you.

That said, it is too bad she has such a negative attitude about it - all that anger and fear and hatred certainly can't be helping her cause, let alone her personal mental or physical health. I must say, I don't think I ever felt that women who conceived easily weren't entitled to their babies, and if there was a pg woman in the workplace who wanted to discuss it, and I didn't/couldn't take it right then, I would just make myself scarce, rather than ruining her enjoyment of her pregnancy. I am sorry that she is robbing you of some of the joy you are experiencing right now, especially with your first baby.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: October 2007
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › October 2007 › For the working mamas..pet peeves