or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › PROM @ 33w4d, breech presentation, currently home AMA--support please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PROM @ 33w4d, breech presentation, currently home AMA--support please

post #1 of 220
Thread Starter 
Hi Mamas,

This will have to be short as I'm needing rest right now.

I was cottaging 7 hours from home on an island with no road access when my membranes ruptured suddenly at 33w4d. I went to the local hospital, then was airlifted to the next hospital that can take 33w4d babies...which also happened to be in my hometown. DP drove home with the kids while I flew. Since then, it's been good news....baby is doing well, BPP good, all NSTs good, I proceeded with 2 shots of steroids, got the 24 hours of abx, continuing oral abx, strep b negative.

When I first got there, they said I should be able to go home the next day after doing all of above if baby was well. Then they realized I am planning a vaginal breech delivery. Here, they "won't" do it. I am not going to go into details now about why a vag breech delivery is safe etc because I'm just exhausted, but I'm confident in my decision. I have an activist midwife who feels strongly about supporting me and is doing all she can to find out which OBs are on call where when so I can hopefully have a more supportive environment for this planned vag birth.

You might recall my previous discussion about me being concerned that the baby was breech because of the fact that no hospital in town is really very receptive to doing vag breech deliveries. Well, being 34 weeks (tomorrow), they really don't want to do a vag breech, and not only that but it's narrowed my options fro hospital choices since not all hospitals can care for preemies.

Thankfully, I have a supportive midwife, who in fact co-authored the BMJ homebirth article, and who has been an activist on the topic of vaginal breech deliveries. I've been in touch with the breech birth coalition in town.

I was totally prepared to fight the vag breech fight, and I think my midwife might have even done it at home against the college practices, but at 34 weeks we agree that we need to have some perinatologists around. I am still prepared to fight, but dear god this has complicated things for me. I don't know as much about premature babies, and so I find myself questioning and even doubting sometimes. It's going to be so hard to fight this to the end.

I do believe it is the right choice, and one I need to fight for. I have good support, and my midwife will be present (and what an advocate she is!).

It's just been so hard. They decided to keep me in the hospital when they figured out that I am planning a vag breech birth...saying if they discharged me that there would be agreater risk of my not making it back in time to get a c-section. Well, since I don't want one ...: why would I accept that as a reason? Then of course they made other false threats. They've been awful. Every day there it was a new nurse every 12 hours and a new OB resident regularly telling me what horrible things are going to happen to my baby if I have a breech birth, some of them even telling me they just don't do it.

I'm caught up in this drama right now of course, but I'm not missing the subtle sadness that is in the background...some of you may know my birth history...they've all been pretty bad. This one was going to be my first homebirth...uncomplicated, natural, beautiful in every way. It's already tarnished and I'm angry at how I've already been treated, and the birth hasn't even happened yet. But, because of my past experiences and trauma, I know that I have to stand up for myself and do what I know is right. If I give in based on fear and their pressure, I will have a whole lot more anger and trauma coming out of the experience. I also feel I need to take a stand for all women...and for birth. I so clearly see what is wrong...decisions being made without giving the people who need to make those decisions real information to do so. Some fights just need to be had.

I would appreciate even your thoughts at this time, and well wishes for the birth. I don't know when I'll come to "battle" (and I so wish I could have a non-hostile birthing environment), and when baby will come, but I really need your support right now.

I'm also worried that if anything should go wrong for any reason, it will be blamed on me because I refused a c-section. I'm sure that would be the case, even if incorrect. I need to be prepared for that possibility. Being confident in my knowledge that choosing a vaginal delivery is equally safe for baby and more safe for me helps a lot, but when it comes to our children, we are vulnerable to misinformation about anything that we might do that could harm them.

So that's all for now, and I apologize for the jumbled nature of this post. Right now everything's good with me and the baby and I'm just waiting it out. I'll be going in as an outpatient to do NSTs and while I'm there will be speaking to the OBs...which will be hard because now that I've left AMA I'm sure they'll only step up their pressure and hard line threats to try and get me back.

:

BTW, this baby is getting one crazy adventurous name.
post #2 of 220

I just wanted to give you a hug because you seem like you could use one. You have been through a whole lot right now and I hope it all goes easily and smoothly from here. I am sure whatever choices you make will be right for you and your baby.
post #3 of 220
Definetely sending hugs your way mama! It sounds like you have some awesome support in your midwife, but let us know if you need any other resources to back you up. My cousin delivered vaginally at 28 weeks... and baby is healthy and thriving at 6 months old now. I know it wasn't breech- but I thought it might give you some confidence. And most importantly mama...


YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

We're behind you every step of the way.
post #4 of 220
Just a quick question from me: are you still leaking fluid? I experienced the same thing as you only much, much earlier and, b/c I never retained any fluid, I was told it was not wise to go past 34 weeks (at which point the threat of cord problems outweigh the risk of prematurity). I was able to confirm that online. Just curious if you had discussed anything like that with your midwife at all.

s
post #5 of 220
So sorry! But at least you have that great midwife behind you! I hope you are able to find an OB who supports your decision. I think you can do it mom. You're in my thoughts, good luck!
post #6 of 220


Are you in labor? There are cases of membranes re-sealing and fluid collecting again and labor not happening until close to date.

I will think strong re-sealing and baby staying in longer thoughts for you.

-Angela
post #7 of 220
I had a feet-first breech at 34w2d. He was a second twin, his brother was vertex. It was fine -- although they did need the NICU for about a week, because they couldn't quite suck yet.

YOU CAN BIRTH THIS BABY!
post #8 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post


Are you in labor? There are cases of membranes re-sealing and fluid collecting again and labor not happening until close to date.

I will think strong re-sealing and baby staying in longer thoughts for you.

-Angela
I'll be here with Angela- what a wonderful outcome that would be. and blessings
post #9 of 220
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post


Are you in labor? There are cases of membranes re-sealing and fluid collecting again and labor not happening until close to date.

I will think strong re-sealing and baby staying in longer thoughts for you.

-Angela
Thanks mama, but definitely not resealing yet...as of yesterday was at 25mL of fluid, and still leaking as replenishing.
post #10 of 220
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
I had a feet-first breech at 34w2d. He was a second twin, his brother was vertex. It was fine -- although they did need the NICU for about a week, because they couldn't quite suck yet.

YOU CAN BIRTH THIS BABY!

Thanks mama.
post #11 of 220
i'll be thinking of you...good for you for standing your ground and knowing your stuff. there is still a good chance babe could turn or the leak could seal...

post #12 of 220
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post
Just a quick question from me: are you still leaking fluid? I experienced the same thing as you only much, much earlier and, b/c I never retained any fluid, I was told it was not wise to go past 34 weeks (at which point the threat of cord problems outweigh the risk of prematurity). I was able to confirm that online. Just curious if you had discussed anything like that with your midwife at all.

s
Things are all looking well so far in terms of fluid levels...though of course we'd all prefer there be an intact sac. There is not much risk of cord prolapse because the baby is in a frank breech position (which I'm so grateful for).
post #13 of 220
I agree with you that vaginal breech births are just as safe for the baby as C-sections. I was just reading last night about the topic on EMedicine, and that's what they said there. I think your main concern right now is with the prematurity issue.

I support whatever you choose, and hoping for a healthy baby and a healthy you.
post #14 of 220
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
I agree with you that vaginal breech births are just as safe for the baby as C-sections. I was just reading last night about the topic on EMedicine, and that's what they said there. I think your main concern right now is with the prematurity issue.
I agree. I wish it wasn't being MADE into the breech being the bigger problem. I should be able to focus on my potentially preemie newborn, and worry about that, not about the birth environment where I can't trust the staff and dealing with their threats at such a vulnerable time : .
post #15 of 220
Bummer.

Wishing you the strength you need and a safe birth whenever it happens.

-Angela
post #16 of 220
Stay healthy, mamma and baby! You can have the birth you want, even in a hospital, despite the complications! It sounds like you have great advocate in your midwife-- can she talk some sense into the MDs re: safety of vag breech?
post #17 of 220
Thinking of you mama.
post #18 of 220
Just lending a vote of support for your informed decision on what you think is best for you and your baby. I'm sorry this is happening and causing you so much stress! Sending re-sealing thoughts and happy birthing vibes to you as well!
post #19 of 220


I'm sorry to hear that the hospital staff is giving you such a hard time. I hope you run into someone supportive there.
post #20 of 220
Im thinking of you.
I hope you can keep that baby cooking a little longer so it wont be much of an issue.

My son was born at 35 weeks. I did have the steroids for his lungs but he was just fine. He went to the NICU for observation but didnt need any help whatsoever. I am sorry you have to deal with all this drama. Its really a shame.
big hugs, I know you will get through this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › PROM @ 33w4d, breech presentation, currently home AMA--support please