or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › PROM @ 33w4d, breech presentation, currently home AMA--support please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PROM @ 33w4d, breech presentation, currently home AMA--support please - Page 2

post #21 of 220
Thread Starter 
Thank you mamas; your support means so much. I don't have a lot of friends or family IRL who understand; I get the impression that while they want to be supportive they mostly think medical professionals do always know best and should always be listened to.
post #22 of 220
sanguine, sending you a huge !! Sorry you're going through all this pressure to have intervention...I'm sure your heart will give you the right path for you and your baby! Keeping you both in my thoughts
post #23 of 220

So sorry you've already endured such trauma... but you are strong! You can do it!
Lots of prayers & thoughts going out to you & your little one.
post #24 of 220
Hey it's you!

I'm glad you're home, at least that gets you away from the every-12-hours-explaining AGAIN thing. Thinking of you... call any time, I have my cell back from DH now.

BTW how are you measuring your water leakage? I didn't know that was possible... also praying for a re-seal...

Do you have to be 37w before you can get to the Mft instead? I have the impression from BA that they're more open minded there...

xo Robin
post #25 of 220
Follow your heart and gut.

FWIW, Abby (my "step" daughter) was born at 34 weeks and was only 3 lbs (tiny genetics via bio-mom and single artery umbilical cord.)

BUT . . . she only had to work on feeding, she breathed on her own completely, kept her temp regulated, and did just fine.

And I know that your little one is big (about 5lbs right?) like mine, so he or she will likely do just fine longterm.

Prematurity is super scary, but 34 weeks is awesome compared to the challenges faced by the micro-ones (20-25 weeks!)

Hugs, love, and PEACE to you and the tiny one inside. Trust yourself, you are his/her best protector.
post #26 of 220
Quote:
I get the impression that while they want to be supportive they mostly think medical professionals do always know best and should always be listened to.
Gd forbid that professional should be your exceptionally knowledgeable and experienced midwife. : I'm so, so glad you have her.
post #27 of 220
Sending you strength mama! You can do this!


reseal reseal reseal!!
post #28 of 220
You have my support along with everyone else. I also wish they would just focus on the preemie aspect and leave you alone about the breech.
I'm also curious as to whether your m/w could advocate with the hospital in some way about the safety of v. breech birth. Couldn't you just sign waivers accepting the responsibility of any potential risks or consequences of your decision? (I'm not agreeing with them that it's dangerous at all; just trying to think on their level.)
I'm sorry you're dealing with this and hope that it turns out much better than you expect.
post #29 of 220
Wow, you sound like you are dealing with SO MUCH! First off, I'm so sorry you lost your easy breezy homebirth! Best laid plans, right?!?

Anyways, good for you to stand up for yourself, stay true to that, and know that you are making the best decision for yourself and baby. It's so hoorible the things doctors tell you to get you to do what *they* want you do do. It seems they are not used to not getting their way these days.

Weren't you saying a while back that baby was measuring big? That can only help you in this situation. Hopefully he or she will hold on a bit longer until it's time for him/her to come out, then do so peacefully, possibly still at home.

Are you dosing up on vitamin C? I might even prefer that over abx if it were me.
post #30 of 220
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinna View Post
Hey it's you!

I'm glad you're home, at least that gets you away from the every-12-hours-explaining AGAIN thing. Thinking of you... call any time, I have my cell back from DH now.

BTW how are you measuring your water leakage? I didn't know that was possible... also praying for a re-seal...

Do you have to be 37w before you can get to the Mft instead? I have the impression from BA that they're more open minded there...

xo Robin

Hi Robin...thanks and glad to see you here!
They measured my fluid at an u/s the other day. I'm still leaking quite a bit so no seal yet I don't think. Going in for an NST today and potentially BPP. The Mft would be at 36 weeks. Only 2 weeks, right? But, I'm having a lot of labour prep stuff going on...I don't think i'll make 36 weeks. The good news is that there is some discussion going on in the birthing community and I may end up with a more sympathetic OB in attendance.
post #31 of 220
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliantmama View Post
Follow your heart and gut.

FWIW, Abby (my "step" daughter) was born at 34 weeks and was only 3 lbs (tiny genetics via bio-mom and single artery umbilical cord.)

BUT . . . she only had to work on feeding, she breathed on her own completely, kept her temp regulated, and did just fine.

And I know that your little one is big (about 5lbs right?) like mine, so he or she will likely do just fine longterm.

Prematurity is super scary, but 34 weeks is awesome compared to the challenges faced by the micro-ones (20-25 weeks!)

Hugs, love, and PEACE to you and the tiny one inside. Trust yourself, you are his/her best protector.

Thank you so much.
If I knew I could have a supported vag delivery I would not be very concerned at all about the premature status, knowing my baby has done well, is well-developed, had steroids a couple days ago, etc. That's part of my difficulty I guess; the people in my life aren't really getting what a big deal a c-section would be, so I feel unsupported. I really appreciate the support I've gotten here and through others in the community as well.
post #32 of 220
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinna View Post
Gd forbid that professional should be your exceptionally knowledgeable and experienced midwife. : I'm so, so glad you have her.
I know. I consider myself strong and determined (and loudmouthed), but without her, well, let's just say it's plain to see how women are forced into c-sections routinely. What a difficult fight, and I have so much going for me in terms of advocacy and personal conviction. Even with all that it's so, so much to face.
post #33 of 220
Now that's good news! Just wanted you to know I'm still thinking of you! You're all going to do great!
post #34 of 220
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
You have my support along with everyone else. I also wish they would just focus on the preemie aspect and leave you alone about the breech.
I'm also curious as to whether your m/w could advocate with the hospital in some way about the safety of v. breech birth. Couldn't you just sign waivers accepting the responsibility of any potential risks or consequences of your decision? (I'm not agreeing with them that it's dangerous at all; just trying to think on their level.)
I'm sorry you're dealing with this and hope that it turns out much better than you expect.
Oh believe me, she is doing a TONNE of advocacy. She's been on the phone for days talking to people and trying to find particular OBs she knows might be available/willing to assist.
They just "won't" do it. They don't want to. There is not a choice here. But I'm not accepting that. Of course there is a choice.

It's about the birthing climate here...it's not caught up with current literature, and vaginal breech births are just considered a big fat "no". I had an OB tell me the other day that they just won't do it. I asked her whether there was a spare corner in the parking lot they were going to dump me when I refused.
Then of course, they start in even more on the scare tactics to "convince" me that I'm going to hurt or kill my baby. I put "convince" in quotations because it certainly is more forceful than that word would imply. It makes me sick that they're so patronizing.
post #35 of 220
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustLia23 View Post
Weren't you saying a while back that baby was measuring big? That can only help you in this situation. Hopefully he or she will hold on a bit longer until it's time for him/her to come out, then do so peacefully, possibly still at home.

Are you dosing up on vitamin C? I might even prefer that over abx if it were me.
Yes, 2 weeks ago, I was measuring 5lbs 10ounces at u/s, but of course we all agreed how off those can be. Funnily, at my BPP the other day the baby was measuring 5lbs 10ounces also (just under 2600g for those who work in metric). I do think that should work in my favour also.

I will be definitely doing vitamin C. So much I didn't know before; it's so hard to suddenly make decisions about things I know nothing about when really not being provided with information to make informed decisions.
post #36 of 220

On resealing sacs

I've seen a lady go through it twice in the same pg in hospital while I was in hospital on bed rest for my pg with my older daughter!!! Twice, same woman, same pg!!! It's not unheard of
post #37 of 220
MAMA!!! I've been reading and trying to come up with the perfect thing to say. You've gotten a lot of great advice frome people who know a lot more than me, thank goodness for MDC!!!

I just want to encourage you that MANY people are praying and wishing great birthing vibes for you, whenever that happens, NOW, or in a few weeks!! I hope that when/if you have to go back to the hospital, you will find at least ONE person who will treat you as a person and not scare you, but support you. Thank GOD for your MW!!

Just a plug also for Emergen-C and pro-biotics! Blessings to you; you'll be in my thoughts and prayers all day!
post #38 of 220
for resealing!!!

my thoughts and prayers are with you!

all the best to you and yours!
post #39 of 220
Wow Mama! I'm floored! I am pulling for you, your vaginal breech delivery, and your sweet lo! I am so sorry you are going through all the drama, and it irritates me to no end. I was "convinced" to have a c-section because of a breech baby, and I am happy to know someone is fighting the fight i didn't know I should fight!

My nephew was born at 31weeks 6 days. He breathed on his own from the start, was big (4 lbs 14 oz) and they definitely said that was in his favor, and he maintained his own body temperature. He had suck problems, and remained in the nicu for 4 weeks because he couldn't maintain his weight, but he is now a very strong, healthy, happy 21 month old! There was never a worry about him, aside from the normal newborn worries and the suck thing, but they knew eventually he would overcome that.

I know you can do it!
post #40 of 220
to you.

My situation was very different as my water broke at 34w0d, , no (and was much more of a gush). I had to give up my planned homebirth and go to the hospital. Full blown labor started about 8 hours later (I had to fight off the drs wanting to start pitocin immediately) and my daughter was born vaginally a few hours afterward.

There are several things that I wish that I had done differently, but the main one is-- I wish that I had known how to keep her out of the NICU. Obviously, for many babes, that is where they need to be, but mine was fine-- never needed oxygen, etc. I didn't know any better, and let them whisk my nearly 6 pound healthy daughter away. She spent 6 days there, being observed for possible apnea and then was kept longer for jaundice. That was 6 days of being largely alone in a bassinet, probably crying alone, not feeding on demand, spending time in her own excrement. In the NICU, they are on a strict feeding/changing/being held schedule. In the one where my daughter was, there are also many ours that the area is "closed" and you can't even visit your own child. Once a baby has been admitted to the NICU, it is difficult to get them released, until there is absolutely nothing going on with them. My baby didn't need to be there to have a bili-blanket, yet for the last 3 days, that was the only reason given for her being there.

I have recently heard of a woman who gave birth in the same hospital at 34w, who kept her baby out of the NICU by insisting (with her mw help) that the baby nurse right away, to prove that she was okay. They reasoned that if the baby latched on right away, she must be okay enough to not need to be in the NICU. Maybe this could help you. If your baby is healthy enough to stay out of the NICU, I implore you to do everything you can to keep him/her out of there.

Sorry to go off .. I know that your situation is different, with the breech issue, etc. I hope the babe stays put, and you are able to welcome him/her at home as you wish.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › PROM @ 33w4d, breech presentation, currently home AMA--support please