or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Blended and Step Family Parenting › DSC vs. Skids
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DSC vs. Skids - Page 2

post #21 of 30
when I see "skids" I think of poop stains on underwear..:
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by norajane View Post
Personally, I think way too much is being read into this term. To me it is only shorthand. "Skid" has just as many definitions and connotations that are not negative as ones that are. Just because one chooses to assert the negative ones does not mean that someone else is using it (or intends to use it) with that association. The posters that have said that they use the word "skid" has said they use it as shorthand and not as a put-down. It makes me wonder if it's just being defensive to assume the negative meaning.
So if something's only shorthand that makes it OK? Remember when you were at school you'd desperately use the retort "yeah, a Pretty Intelligent Girl" when the obnoxious child called you a pig? Convincing, huh?

Language is POWERFUL. The argument that you're making is akin to the argument that because in your community, it's acceptable for a woman to be called a b***h, you can come here and do that on the internet. Well, yeah, some forums you can. On this one, it's a UA violation. So I don't post on forums where words like that are acceptable, people who need to use it don't post here and everybody is happy. If you're accepting that the negative connotations of the abbreviation skid exist, then why choose to use a word with those negative connotations rather than the existing convention? What am I missing?
post #23 of 30
Since the abbreviation DSC can also be given a negative connotation (any number of negative adjectives start with "d"), it seems a little silly to be against the use of "skids" because it may also be given a negative connotation.

In fact, I would say that skids is less open to negative interpretation (the "s" clearly standing for "step") than DSC where the "d" can be given different meanings.

But then I have little patience for the language police...

"So if something's only shorthand that makes it OK?"

That would be yes.
post #24 of 30
Is there a hue and cry about how BM should not stand for breastmilk or birthmother because it's associated with poop?
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Is there a hue and cry about how BM should not stand for breastmilk or birthmother because it's associated with poop?
I've seen it mentioned more than a few times, yes.

In fact, I find the term birth/bio mom offensive. I am the mom. No need to put any qualifiers in front of it. But I see the need for the qualifier in blending forums. Doesn't make it any less grating for me, though. But I realize it a personal hot-button term for me and I won't judge or infer meaning on those that choose to use it. I have to use it myself to enable the distinction between a stepmother and the child's mother.

But FWIW, a birthmother is a mother who gave her child up for adoption in my world. I am not a birthmother but I have one.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
So if something's only shorthand that makes it OK? Remember when you were at school you'd desperately use the retort "yeah, a Pretty Intelligent Girl" when the obnoxious child called you a pig? Convincing, huh?

Language is POWERFUL. The argument that you're making is akin to the argument that because in your community, it's acceptable for a woman to be called a b***h, you can come here and do that on the internet. Well, yeah, some forums you can. On this one, it's a UA violation. So I don't post on forums where words like that are acceptable, people who need to use it don't post here and everybody is happy. If you're accepting that the negative connotations of the abbreviation skid exist, then why choose to use a word with those negative connotations rather than the existing convention? What am I missing?
You're right. Language is powerful, which is why it's important to understand the meaning and context of a word when it is used so as to not be confused and be offended by something that is not intended to be offensive.

In this case the users of the term have stated that they do not assign a negative connotation, probably because they are discrete enough to understand the difference between shorthand for two words and a different, singular word. The only confusion about the term "skids" and how its used is being created by users who don't use the term and are bringing their own baggage to the term.

Almost any word can be twisted to have negative or positive meanings. If we follow the logic that any word that anyone can bring a negative connotation to should be off limits, then we'd pretty much be without any language at all.
post #27 of 30
I've used skids b/c that is an abbreviation I am familiar with from another stepmom specific support board that I am on. I also use SKs occasionally too when referring to the children together. Otherwise it is SD or SS. There is no malicious intent behind the abbreviation, it's just what I was introduced to.

You may also want to remember that not every stepparent has a safe or healthy relationship with their stepchildren and so expecting them to use anything to symbolize "dear" may be inappropriate. It's nothing exactly personal against the child, per se. There are circumstances that are not always discussed in such a public forum that may contribute to what term may be chosen.
post #28 of 30
I just plain hate all abbreviations.
I like to read. I like to read words.
I hate seeing DC, or DH. It's so annoying.
When I see Skids, I read it as skids.
I think it sounds funny/odd.
I don't think it's any more offensive than DH or DD.

Uggh,: I hate those silly abbreviations.

And yes, I nurse at the computer, too, but still manage to type most of my words out.
post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi's Mom View Post
I just plain hate all abbreviations.
I like to read. I like to read words.
I hate seeing DC, or DH. It's so annoying.
When I see Skids, I read it as skids.
I think it sounds funny/odd.
I don't think it's any more offensive than DH or DD.

Uggh,: I hate those silly abbreviations.

And yes, I nurse at the computer, too, but still manage to type most of my words out.

me too
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
:


me too
Me three.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Blended and Step Family Parenting › DSC vs. Skids