or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Compacting Mommas Late Summer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Compacting Mommas Late Summer Thread

post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 
The last Compacting thread had gotten really long and some people had mentioned wanting a new one... So here it is!

Just a reminder that the web address for the BIG Yahoo Compact group is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecompact/ and the archives there are GREAT for newbies to the Compact as well as ongoing Compact tips. There are about 8500 members there and it's a high volume list, so set your e-mail settings accordingly (individual messages, digest, or no mail).
post #2 of 97
Thanks for starting the new thread. I will check out the link too.
post #3 of 97
post #4 of 97
Thanks for starting the thread! I've been thinking about this for months and now is the time to jump back into it!
post #5 of 97
I'm still plugging away. My year will be up in October. It's been fun, and I've learned a lot from it. I'm really craving some new things about now though. Like clothes to wear to the office.
post #6 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I'm still plugging away. My year will be up in October. It's been fun, and I've learned a lot from it. I'm really craving some new things about now though. Like clothes to wear to the office.
Wow! You've done great!

I've got a lot of weight to lose. And I've also got quite a bit of clothing in smaller sizes. I just have very little that fits me right now. So I'm hoping that this will be an additional motivation to get my act straight and start getting in shape. As I lose weight, I will have clothes that fit and that will seem new because its been so long since I've been able to wear them!
post #7 of 97
I'm really considering compacting. DH and I will probably talk about it tonight. I have been trying to read through the old threads and checking out people's blogs. I'll probably sign up for the yahoo group too. DH will be going back to school in Jan. and we'd like to get our old debt paid off. We are looking at other apartments closer to school. One place we're considering is in a very walkable area but about 985 sq feet for the five us. Anything that helps us break away out of the consumer mind set can't be be bad either. I think compacting could really help us make some of the changes we desire.

-Pam
post #8 of 97
:

The compact really appeals to me, but I am weak . . . . Maybe you can all inspire me.
post #9 of 97
Yeah! I am here. Will have to discuss with dh what exactly our "compact" will look like.

Will do that tonight.
post #10 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
:

The compact really appeals to me, but I am weak . . . . Maybe you can all inspire me.
Definitely give it a try! Even if you don't abide 100% by the Compact, it will surely make you more aware each time you do want to buy something that you don't really need or could get used.
post #11 of 97
Today I returned a pair of Old Navy capris I bought on sale that I havent worn yet. I also have a target shirt to return, and a swimsuit that I got a great deal on but was able to repair the one I bouught last year.

I didnt buy anything for 2 yrs while I was a SAHM, now that I am working I have spent too much on things. I have bought too much over the past 2 years. That with losing weight and having a more casual job has caused the spending cycle.

I am starting tommorrow. :
post #12 of 97
:
post #13 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlazx2 View Post
Today I returned a pair of Old Navy capris I bought on sale that I havent worn yet. I also have a target shirt to return, and a swimsuit that I got a great deal on but was able to repair the one I bouught last year.

I didnt buy anything for 2 yrs while I was a SAHM, now that I am working I have spent too much on things. I have bought too much over the past 2 years. That with losing weight and having a more casual job has caused the spending cycle.

I am starting tommorrow. :
Good for you!!! You did great!
post #14 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguazul View Post
Good for you!!! You did great!
Thankyou!!

I put up four auctions last night. One was a purchase at SArmy for Jcrew pants, but I have plenty of other pants that fit now and these are too big. I also put up a top I bought last week that I like- but I am not 100% sure about. I got it for $7 and the retail is $44 so hopefully I will make $.

I felt releived this morning. I still have to write my pledge and goals- I have a rough draft right now.
post #15 of 97
Just posted a huge post here and lost it!
post #16 of 97
Is anyone interested in participating in a group blog on the challenges, benefits and general thoughts of Compacting with kids? I think it'd be kinda fun and would be happy to set one up for us.
post #17 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Is anyone interested in participating in a group blog on the challenges, benefits and general thoughts of Compacting with kids? I think it'd be kinda fun and would be happy to set one up for us.
That would be a great idea!

P.S. For our old compacting blogring, I lost the code to put it on my page and couldn't remember my log-in information for the ring, so I signed up again.
post #18 of 97
Situation: Need clean drinking water

I would prefer to not drink the water at our house. Right now we are using jugs of water or bottled water. It is wasting all of the plastic.

What is the best option?

1) Drinking tap water if a stainless steal drink bottle

2) Drinking large jugs of water in stainless drink bottle; recycling jug

3) Use refillable jugs

4) Install a filter system on kitchen sink

What do you all think?
post #19 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Situation: Need clean drinking water

I would prefer to not drink the water at our house. Right now we are using jugs of water or bottled water. It is wasting all of the plastic.

What is the best option?

1) Drinking tap water if a stainless steal drink bottle

2) Drinking large jugs of water in stainless drink bottle; recycling jug

3) Use refillable jugs

4) Install a filter system on kitchen sink

What do you all think?
Our tap water is disgusting. What we've been doing is using a large PUR filter container that stays in the refrigerator. We fill the top with water and it filters down. It has a little spigot dispenser, from which we fill our Sigg and Klean Kanteen bottles. We have another small filter container that we keep on the counter and use for making ice cubes, tea, etc. I'm concerned about the safety of the plastic, but haven't yet looked into filters for the sink itself.
post #20 of 97
Ok....homeschooling.

If I find a books and such that we would like to use for our studies and I can not find them used......should I change the course of our studies?

Buy new as it is an investment piece (especially with 4 children so far)

Any suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Compacting Mommas Late Summer Thread