or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › October 2007 › **October 07 DDC Birth Announcements**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**October 07 DDC Birth Announcements** - Page 6

post #101 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Maeve:

Any other Halloween babies?


Anabel came on Halloween and I was just wondering if there were any other Halloween babies?
post #102 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Kconterio:

Clara Hypatia is here! (coming up for air, finally able to post)


Well, our little girl arrived on the full moon just as her dad predicted. I started having contractions around 1pm friday (10/26) afternoon and she was born at 11:23pm! Not too bad for a first timer! it was a bit fast towards the end, we went to the hospital around 7:30, i was 2 cm 100% effaced, they wanted me to walk for 2 hours. serious serious contractions started about the minute my midwife left the triage room. an hour and a half later, after laboring in the parking lot, on the sidewalk, in the hospital, going home and coming back to the hospital i was 7 cm. they wheeled me downstairs to the alternative (read: natural) birthing center, i got into the jacuzzi, started uncontrollable pushing around 11. they got me out of the tub, water broke on the walk to the bed. I pushed on my hands and knees for a few contractions and it wasn't doing much so they flipped me on my side and she was born about 10 minutes later. i had a 2nd degree tear that they fixed up once i stopped shaking (at my request... who wants to have their yoni sewn up when they can't stop shaking?) it only took about 20 minutes and it's healing pretty well. we spent the night in the ABC thinking that we'd early discharge the next morning, but...

sadly, i got really dehydrated in the jacuzzi and ended up passing out trying to take a shower, and then in the bathroom trying to get back to my bed, then the following morning trying to go pee. so me, the needle phobe, had to have an IV, which was shockingly anti-climactic. and we had to spend the next night in the hospital as well to make sure i was done with the unconscious spells.

clara was a healthy 7 lbs 6 oz when she came out, 19" long with quite a cone head. she's nursing like a champ and i'm also online looking for sore nipple advice, cause wow, it hurts. she's gained back all her birth weight. she's shockingly compact for such a heavy baby. all of the nurses/midwives thought she would be much lighter. but she's just like her dad and me, small and sturdy! we only have a few items of clothing that actually fit her, the rest she just swims in, so i'm hoping she gains weight really quickly!

you can check out our little photo website to see the goods: www.bellayarns.com/baby
post #103 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Dfunk98:

He's Here!! (finally having a chance to post!!)


Well, after 41+2 days, Linus Henry was born into the world at 12:25 am on Halloween morning.
I went into labor on 10-30 at about 5:30. I wasn't sure if it was labor, or I needed to use the bathroom. Contractions were irregular and in my lower back. After a few attempts, i was able to use the bathroom successfully (sorry tmi!!) and contractions really picked up and, thankfully, moved to my abdomen. At around 8:45, there was no denying I was in labor and at 9:30 they became strong enough for me to call my midwife. She was at another birth (!), but that mom was not as far along, so we decided she'd come to my house at around 11, after I'd nursed DD to sleep.
Easier said than done!! The only thing that felt good was to rock my hips side to side during a contraction. Well, DD likes to sit and rock in a glider to sleep, so contractions were a bit rough for awhile. After having to sit through 4 contractions while nursing, I finally laid DD down and went to call my doulas.
The four of them arrived between 10:45-11. It was so good to have some female energy around!! During each contraction, J rubbed my back as hard as I wanted (very hard). Sometimes, H or D would take over and use a tennis ball. It was agony!! I just kept focusing on how soon I'd be able to push and get some relief!! I kept feeling intense pressure to have a bm, but no pressure in my cervix.
My midwife arrived at 11:15 and I allowed her to check my cervix at about 11:45. I just couldn't imagine having to lie down on the bed!! I was also petrified I'd only be at 7 or something. My contractions were right on top of one another and I just couldn't imagine that. Well, imagine my relief when she said I only had a slight anterioir lip which I could easily push through!! AMEN!!
I got into the tub (aahhh!!) at 11:55pm and at about 12:10am felt like I needed to push. My water broke at around 12:20am (I remember the midwife saying "Did you feel that? That was the water bag. Time please? Water broke at 12:20.")
After about 3 more pushes and 5 minutes, Linus was born. It seemed like it took forever to get his head out. Much harder than I remember from DD's birth.
I looked down, saw his penis and couldn't believe it. A boy!! I had a boy!! My parents had their first grandson after 5 granddaughters!! I couldn't wait to call my parents downstairs and tell them I had a boy-upstairs in my tub and not in some hospital 20 minutes away!! They slept through the whole thing and had no idea I had planned a homebirth. DD also slept through the whole thing and awoke the next morning to find her baby brother, to which she replied "Oh, he's nice!!"
So, here we are 6 days later. Linus and Avery are happily tandem nursing and all is right with the world.
post #104 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Roostery:

Harriet Elva Primrose is here!


Harriet was born 10/28/07 at 10:52 pm via c-section.

8 lbs, 4oz, 20 inches long

The labor and delivery were an extraordinary comedy of errors, I'll write the story when I get a minute.

We're doing ok, Harriet is very mellow. She smiles all the time and only cries (briefly) once or twice a day --usually when I've missed her cues to nurse. She sleeps a lot --6 hours straight last night! I was a little worried but she had nursed pretty much straight without sleeping from 12 noon until 9pm so I figured she was OK.

I was right about her being mellow, and about the hair and about the smile! My dreams are apparently very accurate!
post #105 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Candyapplez:
Bryson James birth story


Bryson James was born at 12:07AM on October 22, 2007 7lbs 8.5 oz (same as his daddy was). My birth experience was nothing like I had planned but I’m focusing on the fact that I have my beautiful son.
Saturday the 20th I lost some plug and had some show at about seven pm. My dh and I started timing contractions but they were irregular. He asked if I was excited. I replied no because I knew of quite a few women that had contractions for days before they delivered. Honestly I knew if I got excited I wouldn’t get sleep that night. So we had a late diner and I was asleep by 11.
At 12:33 the contractions woke me up. Dh was still playing video game. I told him he should come to bed because I thought it would be a long day. I went about some business finishing up some things and came back. He was still playing. I told him he needed to get off now! He did saying his wife needed him. To which I replied because I’m in labor!
Dh went to the grocery store to buy me a bottle of wine and I took a hot bath and drank a small glass of wine. After I got out I immediately threw up and then had to go to the bathroom. That’s how I knew things were serious. So I called my doula and she got here about 2:30.
Things progressed along and we called my midwife Chris at 5:30. My friend Sara who was taking pictures came over. I got on my birth ball and watched CMT for a while. Tried to convince Dh to buy me the new Carrie Underwood cd on Tuesday. He did.
By this point my contractions were just a few minutes apart and lasting 1 minute to 2 minutes. I remember saying “ I thought they were only supposed to last one minute!!” My midwife and her two students Caitlin and Sara arrived at about 8:30 (I think)
To be honest things start to get a little blurry at this point. My midwife said she’d email the notes to fill in my holes. I spent a lot of time on the ball. The ball was my friend. The birthing stool on the other hand I found out is a torture device. At one point, my dh and Caitlin and Sara and I went outside to walk. I was supposed to squat every contraction.
I loved being in the water. It was so warm. Sara the midwife student has the most amazing brown eyes. I would lock into them and she never once broke my gaze. She carried me through many contractions. I progressed from 1 ½ cm to 7 cm in 5 hours. At one point I really wanted dh he was asleep. Everyone told me to let him sleep, but I needed him and made them wake him up.
At this point labor stalled and my cervix swelled. I laid down and they gave me a whole bunch of natural pills over the next 4 hours to open my cervix. This was about 4 o’clock I think. This really slowed my labor. I started asking for drugs. I was supposed to be saying “paw” to get me through contractions. My doula says I forgot what to say and was saying, “pee” and “po.”
My midwife came in and told us that there was some merkonian, it wasn’t enough that she was worried but she wanted us to know. They sent me to the evil stool when I was dilated again but after a few contractions I swelled again. It was 10:30ish and my midwife made the call to go to the hospital.
I rode with my midwife and our caravan left for the hospital.

At the hospital they hooked me up to the fetal heart monitor and an iv, all the things I had originally told myself I wouldn’t allow. The doctor came in and told me that after every contraction, Bryce’s heart rate would go down, I didn’t ask to lie on my side. He recommended a c- section. I asked to talk to my midwife and dh. My midwife said she’d do a section. The doc said he thought I could do a vbac next time and he’d let me know if he saw any problems.
My dh and doula came with me into the operating room at 11:50. The doctor asked me whether I wanted him born on the 21st or the 22nd. My dh said, “take your time”. Plus dh is partial to the 22nd as his birthday is September 22nd. When they asked if I had any questions I actually asked if the anesthesiologist was covered under my insurance. (When my bf had her baby he wasn’t but the doctor was.) The doctor replied “yes and he takes all kinds of payment cash, credit…” To be honest the staff was great. I told the nurse that it was important to me that Bryce be welcomed into the world. As soon as he was born she said, “Welcome Bryce.” It was 12:07, they wiped him down and he was in dh arms within a minute. After they sewed me up they laid him on my chest and I was back in my room by 12:33.
I talked to my midwife about what happened. She said that Bryce was ideally to come down the birth canal with his chin tucked. He instead cocked his head to the side and got himself wedged. She had tried to move him but he wouldn’t budge.
post #106 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Mahna_mahna:

Korben Alexander is Finally Here


He was born on Halloween at 1:08 a.m. after 24 hours of hard labor. (Ouch...)

He was 7 lbs. 12 oz. and 20 1/2 inches long. (So much for this big baby that everyone was warning me about since he was two weeks overdue.)

I'm still getting over some of the shit they pulled during the last phase of labor. Such as HOLDING HIM IN when he was trying to come out because the damn doctor wasn't there. Guess what? The doctor didn't make it on time. He came out whether they liked it or not.

I tore while they were holding him in...but at this point, I don't care anymore. He's perfect.

On another note, the coolest thing is that when we finally came home...my high school diploma was waiting for me. (I had taken my GED test all of two weeks before I gave birth to him.)

He's been latching on like a pro and been doing awesome possum. I'm so giddy!
post #107 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Zac:

Lincoln (no middle name yet!) is here! (short homebirth story & a pic!)


Lincoln (we haven't decided on a middle name yet!) was born at home on October 30th at 448am after a short (less than 5 hour) labor and only 10 minutes of pushing!

Pre-labor started Monday, October 29th and turned into full-force labor at midnight (Oct 30th). I labored in the shower on hands and knees for most of my labor. I was really relaxed and my "pressure waves" didn't consume me. I felt in control and feel super great about how I handled myself! My midwives were super. I had backlabor pains and they were awesome with counterpressure and helping me to stay on hands and knees to encourage the baby to turn. When I wasn't in the shower I was on the toilet, birth ball, and bed. When the time came to push I sat on a birthing chair (it was comfy!) and he came out with about 5 contractions and within about 10 or so minutes! (a huge improvement over my nearly 2 hours of pushing with my first son!). The midwives cleaned and cared for us and left around 800am!

Stats: 9lbs 5oz (a whole lb bigger than his brother!), 23 inches long, head circum 14 inches, chest 14.5 inches

Here he is:


Homebirth ROCKS!!! (I did try to use HypnoBabies... while I didn't get that "zen" birth, I do feel that it helped me through labor - for sure!).

Mama, Papa and older brother Reid are all doing great!

Congrats to the other new Mamas!!!!

post #108 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Noelia430:

My November October baby is finally here!


Zachary (no middle name yet) was borrn at home yesterday, Nov. 4th, after about 35 hours of labor. He weighed in at 9lbs 12oz and is 22.25 in long. My big boy! Things went smoothly, despite it taking so long. He is such a sweetie and a great nurser. Birth story coming soon!
post #109 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Jlmack45:

Laynie Claire is here(just now able to post)


Here is my birth story. My water GUSHED at 10:30 pm on the 21st of October. I took a shower then drove to the naval Hospital(my husband is not able to drive on base right now). The contractions started but I was only at a 3. After about 4 hour they checked me and I was at a 5. I was in so much pain, I got the IV pain meds and slept for about 5 hours. I had planned an unmedicated birth, but that didn't happen. A few hours later I asked for the Epidural. It took them 3 tries to get it in correctly. Then all it did was make my legs not work. I still felt EVERYTHING. I could feel the monitors and the catheter going in and out with each push. Laynie was being stubborn and would not drop so I had to push from a -2 station. I pushed for 3 hours before she was finally born. I got a 2nd degree tear and I hemorraged. I was proud of myself because I did not feel any fear or panic about the hospital(like I usually do). It really helped that my husband was talking me through it and helping with my breathing(we did not get moved over here in time to do childbirth classes). Laynie Claire was born October 22, 2007 at 5:11 p.m. She weighed 8 pounds 13 ounces and was 21 inches long. She has long brown hair, chubby cheeks, my nose and lips, and long fingers. The hospital staff
said I was having problems with milk production so they gave her a bottle. She latched well until then. They told me I needed to supplement and I was worried and didn't know any better. We have been to consultant after consultant and she will still not latch now. She FIGHTS it and everyone who tries to help. I tried pumping for the first week, but it was causing contractions so bad that I was doubled over in pain for 3 days. I couldn't hardly walk. I have no choice but to bottle feed now, it's the only way she will eat. Labor was the worst pain I have ever had in my life, but it was so worth it!!
post #110 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Fihz:

We got a baby!!!.. finally !!


Ludovic was born, at home after a nice, 3 1/2 hour labor, on November 7th 2007, at 12h12AM.

We had to help labor get started a bit, went to see my acupuncturist in the afternoon, which helped me let go of my fears of being induced later this week...

After supper, my MW came over to try some stuff to induce, but after the acupuncture session, things were slowly picking up and after 2 cohosh (black and blue) and a 10 min. pumping session, things picked up...

He weighed in at 9lb2oz, 21" in length, with a 14,5" head...

For pics... http://www.babyannounce.net/ludovic_...u/babyhome.php
post #111 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Frisbee:

Elena Claire is here!


She was born on my birthday (now our birthday), November 4, and weighed 7lbs, 8 oz, was 20.5 inches long, and had a full head of dark hair!

I woke up at 4:30 am with an unmistakable contraction. They got stronger and progressively closer together. At 8 am they were 3-5 minutes apart and we left for the hospital, where we met our doula.

Long story short (no time to post the whole story right now with full detail), I made it through the entire 14-hour labor without any drugs. Apparently my stoic attitude was the talk of the nurse's station, but really I found that making any noise or moving too much made the contractions hurt more! By the end I couldn't stand to have anyone touch me during a contraction either. I made it to 7cms without too much trouble, but transition was definitely tough. Pushing was the hardest part. The contractions were excruciating and very close together. I waited for a while for the "urge to push" but after being convinced by my doula to try pushing anyway, I found that pushing was the only thing that made the contractions bearable. Since I hated it so much I guess I was really efficient - I pushed her from 0 station to all the way out in less than 30 minutes. Unfortunately towards the end I got a little out of control and did end up tearing a bit in both directions. The doctor barely got in the room and they didn't have time to bring out the ceiling mirrors or anything.

All in all, I had a great hospital birth. The nurses were incredibly respectful of my birth plan throughout. One of the best parts is that we had a couple hours of quiet time to bond with our beautiful daughter after the birth before being moved to our recovery room. Having a doula was absolutely the best decision I could have made with respect to the birth experience. The support she gave was simple but essential.

Elena took to nursing with no problems and has been a very easy baby, except that she is up every hour from midnight to 4am (so far). I'm really happy to be home and devoting every minute to her!
post #112 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Mittendrin:

Niklas Aaron is here - pics and story


He's 8 days old now and I can't believe how lucky I am. He is the most adorable baby I could ever imagine. Up until I finally held him in my arms I was a bit scared if I would bond with him like I did with my two other boys - he wasn't planned and I kinda feared I would love him less. No way, he stole my heart within a split second and I cannot imagine my life without him. He is the best baby - super nurser, sleeps a lot (esp during night - gives me 3 and 4 hr stretches already - my other two took two years to get to that point ) and he is such a cuddly cute little guy I could just stare at him 24/7.
Anyhoo, this is how it went:
I started having contractions again at night on the 4th of Nov around 2am. As before I thought they were the real thing and got excited until they tapered off after I took a shower around 4am. I had some bloody show but that was it. Disappointed I went back to bed. When I woke up I had some cramping and more bloody show but still no contractions. I was furious, I was only 40 wks and 5 days but impatient as I could be. I dragged my kids and husband to the park and started walking. At home I kept busy making the kids lunch and picked up around the house. Around 4pm the contractions started up again with more bloody show and when they got intense enough that I had to breathe thru them I finally realized that I really might have a baby soon. For some reason that gave me the creeps, I started getting really nervous, snapped at my husband and had zero patience with my boys anymore. I was not a happy camper and finally my poor dh send me upstairs for a "timeout". I had a bit of a nervous breakdown there, laying in bed sobbing and feeling miserable. The contractions were still not in a good pattern, anything from 5 to 20 minutes apart and I was so frustrated and scared. When I finally got myself back together around 6pm I decided to call my midwife. I found out that my favorite midwife was on call and boy, did that turn my mood around. it was as if any fear and blockage I had in my mind was gone. I almost cried I was so happy to hear her voice on the phone when she calmed me down and asked me to come in. At that point the contractions were strong enough to make me drop on all fours and work hard to get thru them. So we called the sitter and were on our way to the hospital. Funny thing was that as soon as I was off the phone with my midwife the contractions started coming every 5 minutes. We arrived at the hospital shortly after 7pm. I got on the ball and they hooked me up to the monitors. At that point the contractions got much milder, easier to breathe thru although still 5 mins apart. I began to doubt myself again and got scared they'd send me home, I wouldn't be able to birth a baby with such mild surges. My mw suggested a bath and I went for it mainly out of boredom. It felt like heaven, I kept having contractions and they got a bit stronger again. the atmosphere was totally relaxing and I joked to dh how I was sorry that this labor was so undramatic as he seemed to wanna fall asleep sitting on the edge of the tub. It was around 8:45 that for some reason I felt I needed to get out of the tub now. As soon as I got out of the water I was hit with one contraction on top of another. Now I had to moan loudly. I quickly went to lie down on the bed and asked the midwife to check me. Sure enough I was at 10 cm and she asked if I want to push or wait. I only had to wait another minute and felt the urge to push. At that point I must have freaked out because I remember yelling:" Out! Out! Get him out!" but in my mind I felt like I wanted to get up and go home. I was not ready for this baby, I feel a bit ashamed to say I thought I don't want another child, how am I gonna do this? But the urge to push was there and I went along with it. My mw suggested breaking the water but I declined and a push later I felt the warm gush of water. Somehow that brought me back into the real world. I was still moaning and calling:"OUT!OUT!OUT!" But I was calmer and was a bit thankful for a break when they announced the head was out but stop pushing, he's got the cord around his neck. I waited til they gave me the ok and with one more push my beautiful baby was born. I was almost hysterical when I saw his face and kept laughing and crying:"Look how cute he is, omg, I can't believe how cute he is..." I was so happy, full force of hormones kicking in!
He was born at 9:06pm on Nov 4th, one of the happiest days in my life. I am a bit annoyed with myself for having negative feelings about the labor during that day, for not allowing my body to do its job. I kept whining how I want to have this baby and I don't want to be pregnant anymore but realize now that deep inside I was scared as heck to have another child and doubted whether or not I would be able to love him enough since he was such a surprise.
But I will get over that part and focus on how easy it was to have him. How easy the whole pregnancy was and how little the labor and birth hurt compared to me other two.
And I am thrilled to say that I didn't tear and am healing beautifully, I'm even horny already

Here's some pics of my little boy, Niklas Aaron. He weighed 8lbs 9oz, a pound heavier than I guessed, and was 20.5 " long.

post #113 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Pumpkin_blythe:

Elliot is HERE!


10 pounds 4 Ounces 22 inches long I am way too tired to post but here are a zillion photos! lol

post #114 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Apryl_srissa:

Late baby announcement


I've been off the computer, but wanted to stop in and share our news.

Nianna Pearl arrived 3 weeks ago today. Natural, drug free and uninduced (my first time starting labor myself).

I had excess fluid (extrememly excess lol), and she wasn't settling into my pelvis as we progressed, and I have a history of very rushed labors after water breaking (like 15 minutes later I'm done), so the mw was concerned about a prolapsed cord. So she put a small leak in my bag of waters, so some drained and allowed baby to settle into my pelvis. I leaked all over our labor room lol, but she dropped immediately into place. A few hours later, things had really progressed, so we called back in our nurse and mw, and just as I was saying I was needing to push, the only other mama in that night was too. So mw ran into her room, caught a baby, and ran back just barely in time into our room. Our nurse kept talking to the baby and asking her to wait just a minute so she wouldn't be on her own, then she called in a resident to be safe, but I just ignored all of them. But our mw arrived back just in time. When my water broke the rest of the way, we were glad that we hadn't had it happen at home. I really had TONS of fluid, it would have been enough to ruin our mattress (after, we kept finding puddles in odd areas of the floor there, poor dh had soaking socks lol). After my 3 7lb boys, her head felt bigger, then her shoulders felt huge, turns out she was over 9lbs! She inhaled a bunch of fluid on her way out, so while she was on my chest, she was turning blue, the ended up putting her on oxygen and having to take her to special care a couple hours to get her lungs working and all the fluid out, but then she nursed great and has been doing wonderful.

She arrived 10/28 at 4:50am, 9lbs 2oz, 20" and adorable! She looks nothing like her brothers, is happy and sweet and her brothers are adoring her.
post #115 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Aylaanne:

alya had her baby!


Hello all, this is alya's Husband. We would up with a brand new baby boy on 11/23 at 2:53 AM. We wound up having to deliver via c-section "which is why I'm home posting before I head back to the hospital. Both ayla and I feel very good about the results and having to have the section. She labored from about 10:00 AM 11/22 to 1ish AM 11/23. We tried everything before deciding together the the section was what was best for both mom and baby's health.

The stats I'm sure you've been waiting for:

9lbs 1.5 ounce birth weight
20 3/4 inches long
23 cm head.

He's a big little boy. ayla, Matrim, and I will all be back home Monday 11/26 at earliest, more likely Tuesday 11/27. At which point she will update everyone with the rest of the details.
post #116 of 118
Thread Starter 
Reposted for Noelia430:

Zachary's birth story


Finally! It's a long one!

It started off Thursday 11/1 when I took some blue and black cohosh. I did 1 dropperful an hour, alternating between the 2, for 8 hours. I was supposed to repeat again the next day.. Thursday I didn't feel any change.

Friday 11/2 I woke up around 2:30am and I was really crampy and then the pressure waves started soon after. Around 8:30 they started coming every 3 minutes apart. I did end up calling my doula to let her know what was going on. I told her I'd call her back when I really needed her though. I went about the house and ate and got my bedroom straightened up... I threw up, took a shower, threw up again... Around 10:30 my doula called and dh answered the phone because I was throwing up and when he told her I was throwing up she said she'd be right over. After he hung up with her I said that was fine but I still don't think I need the extra help just yet.
Somewhere in there I called my midwife just to let her know what was going on. I told her I didn't think it was time for her to come just yet but I wanted to give her the heads up.
My doula got here between 11 and 11:30 I think and the first thing she wanted to do was start making some soup. Ok by me. I was getting hungry anyway. So she stayed in the kitchen making soup and I decided to lay down and take a nap. DH took Nathan and went to pick up Maddie from school. I took a pretty good nap and woke up during the pressure waves but I did notice they started spacing a little bit.
When I got up I went into the kitchen where my doula was and had a bowl of yummy lentil soup. My midwife called back around this time (1pm-ish) and asked how things were going. I told her that the waves had spaced a little since the nap and that they were now anywhere from 3-7 minutes apart. She told me I could take more blue and black cohosh to get them regular again and to call her back when I needed her.
So I started taking the cohoshes again just as I had the day before. Then we went for a walk in the neighborhood. It was a nice day and we enjoyed the sun and the breeze.
Sometimes I had to stop for the pressure waves, others I didn't.
When we got back to the house we mostly hung out and when I would have a wave I would just use my hypnosis to relax. Things seemed to be moving along outwardly, but I didn't feel like I was really making any progress with the labor. Waves did eventually get to be every 2 minutes apart and I was vocalizing with them but I still didn't feel the need to call my midwife yet. I didn't think it was time. I could tell this was making my doula nervous. She kept asking when I was going to call. I just kept saying that it's not time.
Around 5:30-ish my doula convinced me to call the midwife to let her know what was going on. I called and told her they were every 2 minutes apart but I still didn't feel like it was time for her to come. Then a pressure wave started so I quickly threw the phone to my doula. During my waves I had been moaning the word "Peace", which is a Hypnobabies cue, so that's what I did once again. My midwfe asked the doula if that was me and doula said "Yeah, I think you should come". I heard this but didn't say anything since I was in the middle of a wave and before it was done she hung up the phone. She said "Evelyn heard you and is coming now". UGH. I didn't think it was time yet!!
At this point I got on my ball and was swaying around in the kitchen. Waves were still every 2 minutes apart and lasting a little over a minute long. My doula then said that she thought we should do something to slow it down so the midwife would make it on time. What? I said there was no reason to slow anything down because I didn't think things were really moving that far along at that point. So I just kept doing my thing on the ball.
The midwives arrived around 6:30 and I took one look at them and thought that it was too soon for them to be here and I began to notice the waves weren't 2 minutes apart anymore.
They set up all their equipment and wanted to check my vitals and check the baby so we did that. We took my temp. and it was 100.6. She wasn't too happy about that. Then we listened to baby. He was tachycardic. WTF? So she told me she wanted to check my cervix. I just had this feeling that I hadn't made any progress from the day before.
Sure enough, I was only 1-2cm and still very posterior. I freaked out!
So then she started asking questions about why I would have a fever..etc...
She said she wanted me to drink, drink, drink and rest for an hour and then she would check my temp and the baby again in an hour. If my temp was still high and baby was still tachycardic then we would have to go to the hospital. OMG, I was devasated.
So everyone left Jim and I alone and I cried and we talked about what was going on. Pressure waves spaced WAAAY out during this time. I'm not sure how far apart they were. Jim made me feel better and said everything would be fine and that we weren't going to have to go anywhere. I told him that I just wanted everyone to leave and leave me alone. He had some questions for the midwife so he called her into the room and asked about the tachycardia and asked about the cohoshes. I told her that I didn't want to take the cohosh anymore and she thought that was a good idea.
After the hour was up she came back in and my temp was normal and baby sounded fine, too. Since the waves had spaced way far apart and my cervix wasn't changing we decided that it would be a good idea that everyone go home and I get some rest. She told me to drink a little wine to relax, but I didn't have any so I took some Benadryl, ate a little and went to bed. I was able to sleep well through the night with no pressure waves and I just got up to pee as usual.

Around 7am on 11/3 I started having pressure waves again. They were pretty strong and I had to concentrate through them as soon as they began. I went about my day as usual around the house. When I would have a wave I would use my Hypnobabies cues and say to myself "Release" and then "Peace" during the rest of the wave. I was all over the place that day. On the ball, in the shower, walking the halls, eating, hands and knees, etc... Waves never got closer than 4 minutes apart the whole day and I didn't feel it was time to call anyone, even for a heads up. I didn't want a repeat of the day before.
Bedtime came and I was still having strong pressure waves, still no closer than every 4 minutes. I was tired and wanted to sleep so I tried to "tell" the waves to space out so I could sleep. I put on the Hypnobabies Birth Guide CD and went to bed. Waves spaced a little to 7-8 minutes apart. When I would have a wave I shot right up out of bed because I just couldn't relax while having them laying down. This is what I did for the rest of the night. Somewhere in there I ate something, too.
Around 6 or 7am waves started getting about 4 mins apart again and dh started asking when I was going to call the midwife. I told him I would call when I was ready. I was still waiting for the waves to get closer together and I wanted to see some bloody show before I called. When I went to the bathroom after this I had a TON of mucous that was pink tinged with some darker streaks in it. I was happy to see it.
I ate some breakfast and dh had to start reminding me to use my hypnosis. There were a couple of times that I forgot or a wave would take me by surprise a those were really hard.
Around 9am (I think) I started feeling like I wanted to call my midwife. I even tried to fight that feeling and tell myself it was still too early but in my head I was screaming at myself to call! When I finally called her I told her waves were still only 4 minutes apart but I really felt something telling me to call her and I would like her to come check me. I started having a wave and tossed the phone to dh. I didn't have a chance to use my release cue and I was REALLY loud during this wave. Evelyn told dh she'd be right over.
I'm not sure what time she got here (10:30 or 11??) but as soon as she did I asked her to check me. She checked me and I was 6-7 and baby was -1. Thank goodness!! I started crying because I was so happy that I would finally be having the baby today.
She started getting her things out of her bag and setting up her equipment. I kept doing my thing during my waves. I would relax on the ball and this seemed to be my favorite spot. Casey, E's birth assistant, arrived a little while later and she got into the birthing groove with me. She would massage my back and feet during my waves and it felt so good. She braided my hair for me and that was nice, too. Things were moving slowly, but surely. I started feeling a slight urge to push at the peak of my waves. E wanted me to sit on the toilet around this time and it only made the urge worse. It was hard for me to relax and not try to push at the same time. We went back to my bed and E checked me again and I was 8 and baby was low, that's why I was feeling the urge to push. She also noted that the baby's head was transverse and that's probably why things weren't moving quicker. E had me get up and lunge to try and turn his head. Then we decided to walk outside on the sidewalk. When I would walk I would make these huge lunge-like steps. C and E were on either side of me and we were all arm in arm walking these huge silly looking steps. When I would have a wave I would squat with C behind me and E in front of me. We made it to the top of the street and the urge to push was now too much. Waves got closer and each time I had a wave I would grunt with the peak and then say "I'm not doing it, I'm not pushing" because my body was doing the pushing and I couldn't stop it. This was the only time that I started to freak a little because I thought the baby would be born outside in the cold on the sidewalk. In between waves we walked as fast as we could back to the house, which was not easy for me to do. I had 3 or 4 more waves on the sidewalk and I tried so hard not tp push but I couldn't help it. A couple of neighbors came out and asked if everything was alright and E said yes, she's just having a baby
When we got back to the house I peeled all my clothes off and ran for my bed. I got there just as another wave started and I got on my hands and knees and started pushing. E could see his head right there! Dh came in and was shocked to see the baby head already. He went to get dd because she wanted to be there for the birth but when she saw things in real life she didn't want to be there anymore.
So I continued pushing with each wave (which had spaced out to 5 mins again) and each time he moved down further and further. His head was easy to get out but his body was difficult. I got him halfway out and then I couldn't push hard enough anymore. I had to rest and even E couldn't just pull him out (he was at his waist down). I finally got the strength and gave one huge final push and he was out at 5:34pm on 11/4. He was stunned and didn't cry or move at first but his heartrate and color were good. We rubbed him and talked to him and he got some O2 and then he finally cried a little. He stayed attached to the cord for awhile and then dh cut it and I tried to nurse him. He wanted to suck but I couldn't get him latched so we just let him hang out for a bit.
A little while later he did get latched on and has been nursing almost non stop ever since!
Zachary Michael weighed 9lbs 12oz and was 22.25 in. long the day he was born. He came out such a chunky guy! I had a very small tear that didn't require stitches.

Thanks for reading this if you made it this far!!
post #117 of 118
Thanks for posting my birth announcement, wildgarden! However, my husband is a doofus and anyone with a tape measure knows that 23cm is a little small, even for a tiny baby's head. My son's actual HC was 36.5 cm. I don't know where he got the 23 from.
post #118 of 118
Thread Starter 
I wondered about that, but only for a brief, foggy, postpartum second. I changed it for you. Congratulations!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: October 2007
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › October 2007 › **October 07 DDC Birth Announcements**