or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › Charlotte Mason Support Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charlotte Mason Support Thread

post #1 of 135
Thread Starter 
Would anyone else be interested in a CM monthly thread like the Unschooling and Waldorf have?
post #2 of 135
sure
post #3 of 135
Yes, although we're not purists. We plan on following Core Knowledge, but we will apply CM principles (short lessons, living books, etc.) Can I still post?
post #4 of 135
Absolutely. Where do I sign up? Oh...I should add that I just signed my kids up to attend a new start up school in our city that is a Charlotte Mason school. I don't homeschool (per se). Can I join?
post #5 of 135
subbing
post #6 of 135
Sure, although I only visit this board once or twice per week.
post #7 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine View Post
Yes, although we're not purists. We plan on following Core Knowledge, but we will apply CM principles (short lessons, living books, etc.) Can I still post?
Absolutely!! We are not purists either. We use a secular approach for one. We also don't do a formal Nature Study. In place of that we do a more modern Science curriculum. We make it a point to get out in nature and such but we don't do a formal notebook.

We do classical history (SOTW) which works just fine with CM and we will lapbook just about anything .
post #8 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3happygirls View Post
Absolutely. Where do I sign up? Oh...I should add that I just signed my kids up to attend a new start up school in our city that is a Charlotte Mason school. I don't homeschool (per se). Can I join?
Cool, it might be interesting to see how what we do at home differs from the school setting.
post #9 of 135
Subbing too.
post #10 of 135
I'm here.
post #11 of 135
Thread Starter 
Yeah!

So does anyone have any great fun and exciting things planned for the beginning of the school year?

We actually school year round but take it easier in the summer. We are easing back in to our full schedule over the next couple of weeks.

DS1 had started reading Charlotte's Web but asked if he could read the Harry Potter series. This coming from a child who hates to read. Well I couldn't say no so we have put Charlotte on the back burner for a while. This will surely mess up my schedule but I may just have to get audio books for those and let him read HP. I'm not sure how CM friendly HP is but I have to give him credit for taking on such a big series.
post #12 of 135
I'd like to join. This will be our first year *really* hsing (we just kinda skipped kindergarten), so also our first year doing CM.
We'll be using SOTW also. I just received it, and am really excited to start. I don't know when we'll start, however, as I'm still getting other stuff (science curriculum, classical music cd's etc). My big plan for the start of the school year is to have a baby - maybe for the first month we'll have a "unit study" on "how to care for a newborn"
post #13 of 135
I'm interested. I'm still exploring our "options" ~ and am very attracted to CM.

Aparently, I need to be filled in: what's SOTW??? :
post #14 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shy2post View Post
I'm interested. I'm still exploring our "options" ~ and am very attracted to CM.

Aparently, I need to be filled in: what's SOTW??? :
Story of the World

It is technically a "Classical Eduction" History program but CM and Classical theories on History study are almost the same.
post #15 of 135
This will be our first year of really hs'ing too. Although we did start some things last year for kindergarten. We're planning on using Ambleside Online's book list. I'm still just planning right now...probably will officially start at the beginning of September.

Here's my idea for nature study - we have a membership to our local botanical gardens. I'm thinking of setting aside one afternoon a week to go hang out there and maybe take our drawing supplies etc. Is this a crazy idea? My kids spend a lot of time in our backyard already, but I was trying to think of a way to make it more intentional. Am I over-thinking this? Probably.
post #16 of 135
i want in~
mamarasheika
post #17 of 135
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Mommy View Post
Here's my idea for nature study - we have a membership to our local botanical gardens. I'm thinking of setting aside one afternoon a week to go hang out there and maybe take our drawing supplies etc. Is this a crazy idea? My kids spend a lot of time in our backyard already, but I was trying to think of a way to make it more intentional. Am I over-thinking this? Probably.
That sounds like a great idea! I might steal it!!
post #18 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninevp922 View Post
I'd like to join. This will be our first year *really* hsing (we just kinda skipped kindergarten), so also our first year doing CM.
Same here. I unschooled last year and this year I want to try a more structured approach.

Any thread that frogguruami starts I'm in.

I would love to hear what books/curriculum everyone here uses or will use. Nature study....haven't given that one much thought yet. Let get the ideas flowing!
post #19 of 135
can someone explain what cm entails?
post #20 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I would love to hear what books/curriculum everyone here uses or will use. Nature study....haven't given that one much thought yet. Let get the ideas flowing!
We're going to use Story of the World for history, NOEO for science (the biology one), RightStart math, and whatever we get from the library for literature. I'm going to "wing" the rest, although I'm wondering about how to teach reading. Any ideas?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › Charlotte Mason Support Thread