Juneau -- Hang in there. Pregnancy sucks.
Here's my update. This morning my spotting turned to bright red bleeding, and I continued to have a solid pain on the right side of my uterus. The pain alone is not enough to worry about, and the bleeding alone is not really enough to to worry about, but the combo of the two had me worried mostly about an ectopic pregnancy. I have enough challenges in babymaking that I didn't want to risk losing a tube, so we went to the ER for a scan.
My hCG levels increased appropriately from 1418 on Tuesday to 5150 today (Sunday). The scan, however, is either right on and good news or evidence of bad news. Let me explain.
Based on LMP on the wheel with a 28 day cycle, I am 7w2d. However, I have a 32 day cycle pretty regularly, and my early ultrasounds always shift my dd by about 4 days, so that would make me 6w5d. Then there was a discrepancy about when I actually ovulated. When I went in at what I thought was 10dpo, I had a negative blood test. Three days later, it was called positive, though with an hCG level of 22 at that time, it really was still considered borderline. I should not have been considered officially pregnant for one more day. There's another 3-4 days, so that moves me to about 6w1d pregnant. The ultrasound today which was very fast and pretty careless dated baby at 5w6d +/- 4 days, so it could be as far along as 6w3d. Confusing, I know, but if you really think about the dates, the numbers could work. So there's that...
Baby was present, was in the uterus, and had a heartbeat. The hb was at 85, which is normal for a baby in the 5-6 week range, as the hb as just begun.
So, there's good news there, but with the bleeding, it could still be bad news.
I still have hope because of this: I have a transabdominal cerclage, which is basically a very thick band of material similar to dental floss buried in among the tendons at the base of my uterus and top of my cervix. That part of my body is changing lots at this time, and I can imagine if a penis bumping a cervix during intercourse can cause bleeding (which happened in my pregnancy with dd), that a band buried in the tissue wouldn't cause bleeding. Plus, I looked last night on this Yahoo group I also belong to which is a group of women with the TAC, and there seems to be a very high concentration of women who experience bright red bleeding in the first trimester and come out fine. I personally think there has to be a connection to the TAC, but after two failed transvaginal cerclages, I will take the bleeding that may come with a TAC as long as it increases my chance for the possibility of a good outcome.
I know I am likely totally grasping at straws, but the situation is what it is. I can be a glass-half-full or a glass-half-empty sort of person, and in this situation, I need the optimism.
The bleeding continues, so time will tell. I still go in tomorrow for level checks, and will update my OB at that time. I'm sure they will follow up my levels on Thursday, and all the levels compared to each other will determine a threatened loss or just some random bleeding. My scan is still scheduled for Friday, and I'm sure if baby is measuring in the 6w4d range, my dd will be changed. We'll just have to wait this out and see...
Everyone, good luck. Juneau, you in particular -- I hope things get easier and you just catch a break... How is everyone else?