or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

fizzy pickles!!!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I made a couple batches of lacto-fermented dill pickles, in mason jars, and I just filled them right up to the top with the brine and sealed the jars. Yes, they leaked - my pantry smells like dill pickles - but I tried one today and thanks to the pressurized environment, I have fizzy pickles! They taste great and they're really fun too. Just thought I'd share.

FWIW I used the recipe/brine ratio in "Wild Fermentation". Worked great! I also made some bean pickles with green beans and wax beans and they're also really good.
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I made a couple batches of lacto-fermented dill pickles, in mason jars, and I just filled them right up to the top with the brine and sealed the jars. Yes, they leaked - my pantry smells like dill pickles - but I tried one today and thanks to the pressurized environment, I have fizzy pickles! They taste great and they're really fun too. Just thought I'd share.

FWIW I used the recipe/brine ratio in "Wild Fermentation". Worked great! I also made some bean pickles with green beans and wax beans and they're also really good.

Do you find that using that brine ratio the pickles are salty? My dh and kids think they are too salty. I don't mind eating them, but they are more salty than I would prefer. Is that just part of lacto-fermented stuff? My kraut is pretty salty, too.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
I wouldn't say these are any saltier than regular store-bought pickles, no. I used a smidge over 1 tbsp of salt per pint of water, which is in slightly less than what Katz recommended, I think - about a 4% solution? My kraut turned out fine with his salt ratio though.

I HAVE made some horribly way-too-salty fermented stuff though. If you follow the recipe in NT for the ginger carrots, they're vile. Cut the salt in less than half, they're ok. Still not stellar though.
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I wouldn't say these are any saltier than regular store-bought pickles, no. I used a smidge over 1 tbsp of salt per pint of water, which is in slightly less than what Katz recommended, I think - about a 4% solution? My kraut turned out fine with his salt ratio though.

I HAVE made some horribly way-too-salty fermented stuff though. If you follow the recipe in NT for the ginger carrots, they're vile. Cut the salt in less than half, they're ok. Still not stellar though.
I used the NT recipe for my kraut--and the first time I did it without whey and added the extra salt. Pretty salty stuff! I now realize (thanks to this forum) that I don't need to double the salt if I'm not using whey.

I don't remember how much I used in my pickles. I think I went a bit over his ratio since he says more salt in the summer and it's HOT here. I'll try a bit less next time.
post #5 of 8
A little off topic:

I made my first kraut from the WF recipe. The juice has risen to the top by the time I'm done packing the jar every time.

The NT advice to pound the cabbage with a mallet for ten minutes?
post #6 of 8
How fun! That sounds so yummy right now! I really need to make some pickles

Jen
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post
A little off topic:

I made my first kraut from the WF recipe. The juice has risen to the top by the time I'm done packing the jar every time.

The NT advice to pound the cabbage with a mallet for ten minutes?
Yeah totally. I don't know what kind of dry nasty 3-month old cabbage they were using in NT.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Yeah totally. I don't know what kind of dry nasty 3-month old cabbage they were using in NT.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods