or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › My house will never be messy again
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My house will never be messy again - Page 2

post #21 of 49
Thread Starter 
Just wanted to say I've had a couple of great things happen already!

1. I found my prescription sunglasses that I need for the triathlon I'm in next week.

2. I went online to look up how much my juicer and a replacement pulp bin (old one is chipped and spews pulp everywhere) are worth because I want to sell it. I discovered that it was recalled 4 years ago and I can send it back for a new juicer or a cheque! Yay for me!
post #22 of 49
When you are ready to get rid of a bunch of stuff, call1-800-GOT-JUNK and see if they have a franchise in your area. They'll help you get rid of it fast.
post #23 of 49
As a mama with severe ADHD (in the top 97% or so) I totally understand your feelings about this. It is very difficult. People do not realize how real the challenges are. You look "normal/average" why can't you perform that way? It is sooooo hard!

You can do it though. We both can. Our process may not look like everyone else....but it can still be accomplished.

I do not know if you are Christian but this helps me alot! Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. :
post #24 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
When you are ready to get rid of a bunch of stuff, call1-800-GOT-JUNK and see if they have a franchise in your area. They'll help you get rid of it fast.
Thanks for the tip! They are in our area, they leave flyers in our mailbox occasionally. The first time I swore they were targeting us though! A contractor we had hired to do some work left all his garbage on the porch and said he would be back with a trailer the next day to take it to the dump. Well, the next day came, and the next and he never showed up. Then the flyer came from 1-800-Got Junk. I was SO embarassed! We have a pickup and I sent DH to the dump with the garbage immediately! I've since realized that they were just starting in our area and dropped the flyers off for everyone!

Having said all that - I have worked with a local professional organizer before and she knows all the local charities and what they need and will take. She found a place that wanted 20 years worth of National Geographics! I'll be calling her as we go through the process.

I can't believe how much progress I'm making! I'm filling up bins in our front hallway like crazy! And finding stuff that actually is important but it was put away safely and hidden behind all the other junk! I'm most excited about the sunglasses though because it was either shell out for a new pair or don't do the race. Not doing the race isn't an option because my best friend of 25 years and I have been planning this for months. Going without prescription sunglasses isn't an option either because I can't see well enough to bike safely and putting contacts in in the transition zone after swimming would be pretty much impossible.

I've been hugging and kissing my boys all day and telling them I love them a million times.
post #25 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
As a mama with severe ADHD (in the top 97% or so) I totally understand your feelings about this. It is very difficult. People do not realize how real the challenges are. You look "normal/average" why can't you perform that way? It is sooooo hard!

You can do it though. We both can. Our process may not look like everyone else....but it can still be accomplished.

I do not know if you are Christian but this helps me alot! Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. :
AngelBee - thank you SO much for the support. I don't have the official numbers yet but I'm pretty sure I will score in the severe category. It is incredible how good it feels to know that I'm not actually just a huge screwup who messes up everything she touches. I just want to scream it to the world sometimes that I'm not being a pain on purpose, I really can't do what you're asking of me. We are thinking of sending DS1 to preschool this Fall and a huge stumbling block for me has been the fact that the parents need to volunteer. The thought fills me with dread.

I tend to be a fairly low-key Christian but yesterday I felt like climbing to the top of our church's highest steeple and singing God's praises to anyone who would listen! And our church is a huge, Catholic cathedral-type on top of a hill that can be seen for miles around. There is actually a bylaw in our city that no buildings are allowed to be built that would obstruct the view of the church. That's a big church!

We can do it, I know we can!
post #26 of 49
I'm so glad your baby is ok!

I highly recommend EVERYONE taking an infant/child CPR class (and first aid).

One thing you are NOT supposed to do is do a blind sweep. A blind sweep is when you can't see the object and if it isn't in easy reach.

A blind sweep can push the object further down and lodge it. VERY scary and potentially lethal.

Everyone, please please please take a CPR class ASAP. Renew it every year. It does make a difference. They sometimes change things (with new research, etc) so it's important to keep updated at least once a year.

Now, having said that, I want to say I'm glad that your little one is ok.
post #27 of 49
I'm so glad your baby is OK!!

Good luck with the housecleaning and organizing- don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.
post #28 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I'm so glad your baby is ok!

I highly recommend EVERYONE taking an infant/child CPR class (and first aid).

One thing you are NOT supposed to do is do a blind sweep. A blind sweep is when you can't see the object and if it isn't in easy reach.

A blind sweep can push the object further down and lodge it. VERY scary and potentially lethal.

Everyone, please please please take a CPR class ASAP. Renew it every year. It does make a difference. They sometimes change things (with new research, etc) so it's important to keep updated at least once a year.

Now, having said that, I want to say I'm glad that your little one is ok.
You make an excellent point. Infant CPR is extremely important. I actually did a class earlier in the summer but retained very little of the information. I know now from the testing I've had done, why I've never been able to remember what I've learnt in the multiple CPR classes I've taken. One of my top priorities is figuring out how to learn the information in a way that meshes with my learning abilities.

I should clarify though. I did retain enough to know not to be blindly sticking my finger down his throat. When I say I did a sweep, I really mean around the lip area and a bit into his cheeks while keeping his jaw open a bit with my finger so I could look in. In retrospect, I probably wouldn't have seen it anyway since it was thin, clear plastic.

Thanks for the reminder - I'm going to look into studying CPR and First Aid in more depth tomorrow.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
You make an excellent point. Infant CPR is extremely important. I actually did a class earlier in the summer but retained very little of the information. I know now from the testing I've had done, why I've never been able to remember what I've learnt in the multiple CPR classes I've taken. One of my top priorities is figuring out how to learn the information in a way that meshes with my learning abilities.

I should clarify though. I did retain enough to know not to be blindly sticking my finger down his throat. When I say I did a sweep, I really mean around the lip area and a bit into his cheeks while keeping his jaw open a bit with my finger so I could look in. In retrospect, I probably wouldn't have seen it anyway since it was thin, clear plastic.

Thanks for the reminder - I'm going to look into studying CPR and First Aid in more depth tomorrow.
You know, there are various "cheat sheets" that you can get that list the steps to do and the summary of the information that you get in the class. I think some of them are even laminated or heavyweight paper, and you could definitely laminate them if not. That may be something good to have on the fridge or something in case you ever had a cpr/choking/first aid situation in the future.

That said, it seems like you handled the situation well and are handling it even better in the aftermath by dealing with your house situation really proactively! Good for you! I'm glad your little guy was okay.

Oh, in terms of getting rid of things, one of the suggestions I've heard is that you can take a photo of things when the actual object is something you don't need except for wanting to remember it and you want to get rid of. That way you can get the joy of looking at/ remembering things without the actual object cluttering up your house!
post #30 of 49
Well, for some people (and you sound like one of them) pets are more healing than they are "trouble". I love cats, but I'm severely allergic to them. At some point in my 30's my allergies to them became so severe, I was practically unable to function. I had to get rid of them (2... both have passed away at their new owner's house). Anyway, I found that my house was also much easier to clean after the cats were gone... just a thought. I realize that pets are an emotional subject. My niece has classic asthma (perhaps perpetuated by my sister's smoking???? ) and pet dander is nearly lethal for her.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about what happened anymore... sounds like it opened your eyes and you are taking action. Feel good about yourself that you are able to see that you need to start decluttering, set some reasonable goals, and keep us updated! Good luck!! Make sure you keep up updated... it's great to feel you've accomplished something, but even better to tell others about it.
post #31 of 49
glad to hear you kiddo is okay! How scary!

For your cats, maybe you can get them proffessionally groomed while you're at the whole house cleansing? They can wash, clip, and dip them and most places don't charge too much. We had one very ornery cat that wouldn't let us brush her and she was soooo hairy. It sounds weird, but she actually really liked to go to the groomer and get shaved. The shave would last about 3-4 mos. The amount of cat hair it saved me from sweeping up was totally worth it! Just a thought!
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
AngelBee - thank you SO much for the support. I don't have the official numbers yet but I'm pretty sure I will score in the severe category. It is incredible how good it feels to know that I'm not actually just a huge screwup who messes up everything she touches. I just want to scream it to the world sometimes that I'm not being a pain on purpose, I really can't do what you're asking of me. We are thinking of sending DS1 to preschool this Fall and a huge stumbling block for me has been the fact that the parents need to volunteer. The thought fills me with dread.

I tend to be a fairly low-key Christian but yesterday I felt like climbing to the top of our church's highest steeple and singing God's praises to anyone who would listen! And our church is a huge, Catholic cathedral-type on top of a hill that can be seen for miles around. There is actually a bylaw in our city that no buildings are allowed to be built that would obstruct the view of the church. That's a big church!

We can do it, I know we can!


Honestly....I homeschool because of how hard it wa sfor me in school. I never missed, was a cheerleader, in dance team, newspaper, yearbook, peer helpers, danced 30 some hours a week at a studio......and was failing out of high school.

I CONSTANTLY got the "If you only applied yourself....." I even asked a counciler to test me for learning disabilities. He said I was just unmotivated and lazy

Most of my teachers told my mom to pull me from dance. Thank God she didn't listen! That was my lifeboat (besides the Lord) at the time. I now own a dance academy and am able to share my love of dance with hundreds of children in the very community that I grew up in. Now those same educators who held me down are praising what I am doing for their students now.
post #33 of 49
kittynurse and Angelbee- we need to start a mama's with ADHD tribe. My house is terribly cluttered- I have awful time managment skills and am constantly stressed out because I can't seem to get it together! ADHD is awful- I also have an terrible memory.
kittynurse - I am glad your ds is ok!
post #34 of 49
let me know if you all get that tribe together....i'll be in.
this is all me to a T.
post #35 of 49
How scary! I'm glad he was okay.
post #36 of 49
I'm glad your little one is ok!
Good for you for taking such fast action to change your home environment- I know it's not easy, but you'll feel so much better
post #37 of 49
What a relief that your baby was ok! I can totally see the same thing happening in our house. It's not horribly messy but there is definitely junk everywhere. It's so hard to keep the house clean when you have kids.
post #38 of 49
I would be down for a tribe.
post #39 of 49
just read your post...thank you so much for takign the time to share! dd is 7 mo but crawling all over the house and putting everything in her mouth. we just moved in and are painting all the doors, and i have been lazy about finishing and putting them back up...she love sto go through all the closets. but, no more! i am going right now to paint, hang the doors and clean up all choking hazards!! Thanks again mama!
post #40 of 49
I'm so glad that he's okay. Babies get into things even in very well organized and clean homes but I'm glad you are making a change for the better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › My house will never be messy again