Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin
I'll have to look at the symptons of lead poisoning.
Lucy had no symptoms
. Her lead level was a 47. That's in the second highest category they take. As I posted before, she was admitted to the hospital within 4 hours of the test coming back. That's how seriously they take lead poisoning. That's how high her levels were. And I wouldn't have known without the blood test because she had no symptoms.
I understand the PP in wanting to not fall prey to fear-mongering, but I respectfully submit that we still
don't know where Lucy got her lead poisoning. The doc at the ER, an expert in pediatric lead poisoning, told us that all it takes is a piece of lead paint the size of a grain of sand to give a child lead poisoning at a level requiring some sort of intervention. Plastic breaks down over time (why do you think car seats have an expiration date?) and when it's plastic with lead, as in vinyl mini-blinds, what do you think happens to that lead?
Also, regarding the protection of breastfeeding--I'm still breastfeeding Lucy, and that's probably why she didn't have anemia along with the lead poisoning. But she still had the lead poisoning.
Once again, I'm not trying to scare mommas. I just think that, in the grand scheme of things, a couple of moments of discomfort during the blood draw are worth it. There are many tests and interventions that I would decline. This isn't one of them.
Here's the thread for moms dealing with kids with elevated lead levels:http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=265284