or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Expired medicine *Update*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Expired medicine *Update* - Page 2

post #21 of 46
ouch! hope he's all healed soon!
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
This is the first time I've gotten a chance to get online today. We've been in waiting rooms all day. Yes, he broke it. He broke both bones in his forearm right at the wrist. They called it a buckle break in each bone. It was a very long day. Started with a visit to our normal pedi, then to the diagnostic clinic for x-rays, and then to the ER to have his arm splinted. All that took from 9am to 5pm all day.

So we have it splinted and I have to try and get him to an orthopedic pediatrician. Hopefully, I'll get him in tomorrw. My pedi called three different orthopedics and none of them were available any time soon. :

On that note I do now have pain med for him that is not expired.
Aw, poor little guy and poor mama! Buckle break is exactly what DS1 had too. Luckily, they heal fast.

post #23 of 46
I have read that expired Acetaminophen can be very toxic to a child's liver. I will check this and find a reliable resource when I haven't been awake for 17 hours.

-Laura
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by supakitty View Post
I have read that expired Acetaminophen can be very toxic to a child's liver. I will check this and find a reliable resource when I haven't been awake for 17 hours.

-Laura
I have googled this three different ways and found no sources that mentioned that expired tylenol was more dangerous for a child - any chance you remember where you read this, I have always wondered about using expired tylenol. I have been known to take expired tylenol when desperate and didn't notice any adverse affects. (Just wondering cause I would definitely stop the practice if this was the case!!!)
post #25 of 46
Oh Emm Gee, I feel for him, poor little feller, I feel for you too mama, how exhausting... you both need rest I am sure, the Dr, ER thing sucks, sorry all of that happend. HUGS
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by supakitty View Post
I have read that expired Acetaminophen can be very toxic to a child's liver. I will check this and find a reliable resource when I haven't been awake for 17 hours.

-Laura
Expired Tylenol...Tylenol in general is awful for ones liver, adult or child. I don't take it at all and the only time DD takes it is if I cannot get a fever to break. I'm working on DH to get it out of our house totally.

Jenn
post #27 of 46
Aww poor little guy and poor mama.

When I was 9 I fell on the playground and the school nurse sent me home on the bus. My mom didn't see that much swelling and sent me to school the next morning. The sub nurse(different from the day before) called my mom who in turn took me to the doctor, who sent me to get x-rays, who sent me to get it casted. It happens As a parent it is so hard to tell the dramatics from the real stuff. It's hard to know how badly it hurts when you can't feel the pain and you see no outside indications that it is damaged.
post #28 of 46
poor little guy ... i hope you can get him in somewhere really soon ... i sent you a PM
post #29 of 46
Ouch. Poor kid. Hope he heals quickly.
I'm glad to hear you have some up-to-date pain meds now.
post #30 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmommy View Post
As a parent it is so hard to tell the dramatics from the real stuff. It's hard to know how badly it hurts when you can't feel the pain and you see no outside indications that it is damaged.
Thank you. It can be difficult to know when you need to seek medical care.

So to the mamas who made the comment of me "finally" taking him to see a Dr...get off my back. Would I have taken him in right away if I *knew* his arm was broken? Yes. However, I didn't and really didn't have any good indication that it was broken and not just sprained or sore from falling. Even the Pedi did not think it was broken when he saw it. He was surprised the x-ray showed that it was. I didn't want to rush to the ER at night, by myself with two tired cranky kids, and spend the ER co-pay if it wasn't nescessary. As it turns out that proably would have worked out better, but hindsight is 20/20.

I feel badly enough about not watching DS carefully in the shower that allowed the accident to happen. I feel badly that I didn't have pain meds to give him. I feel badly that I didn't take him in right away, but as I stated I did not think his arm was broken. So it doesn't help to come here and see posts saying, "I'm glad you finally took him."

Yeah, it's been a very stressful and tiring 48 hours and maybe I'm a bit sensitive so please no one else indicate that I made an error in judgement. I know I did. I don't need it pointed out to me right now.
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I feel badly enough about not watching DS carefully in the shower that allowed the accident to happen. I feel badly that I didn't have pain meds to give him. I feel badly that I didn't take him in right away, but as I stated I did not think his arm was broken. So it doesn't help to come here and see posts saying, "I'm glad you finally took him."

Yeah, it's been a very stressful and tiring 48 hours and maybe I'm a bit sensitive so please no one else indicate that I made an error in judgement. I know I did. I don't need it pointed out to me right now.
I haven't had your stress filled 48 hours and the "finally" still rubbed me the wrong way.
post #32 of 46
It was a judgment call that could have gone either way. Since you had the x-ray, you know which way it went. I am a little surprised you don't have x-ray vision though, I thought all mothers had that.

I hope your DS heals quickly.
post #33 of 46
The "finally" is definitely over the top. And no, they don't "not splint" things b/c people "waited too long" to come in. Unless "too long" is, say, a month or something. But evening vs. the next morning, for a child who's in no acute distress, no open wound, minimal/no deformity? I wouldn't have taken him until morning either, and I *work* in the ER. Even if I strongly suspected it was a mild fracture as described!

So get off of this mama's back, she did fine. And KH - you did fine! Don't beat yourself up! I had the exact same fracture when I was ten, and my mother (the pediatrician) told me it wasn't broken, and only took me in because I kept asking her to. Seriously. It's a minor break, and you did just fine.
post #34 of 46
I've broken my arm and I don't think you made an error in judgment, fwiw. Hang in there.
post #35 of 46
Sending quick healing vibes your way for your DS. And some calm stress-free moments for you, too, momma. Don't beat yourself up about not taking him straight to the emergency room - I think I would have made the same choices as you, based on everything.
post #36 of 46
Sorry you felt attacked, I hear ya on that. I know it's hard to tell exactly what's going on and you don't want to overreact, either. I'm glad it's taken care of and I hope your LO is feeling better.
post #37 of 46
Quick healing vibes to your little guy! You did a great job! Don't feel bad at all.
post #38 of 46
I too was one of those momma's who waited to take my son to the dr. 24 yrs actually. He fell one morning off the bottom step onto his elbow he cried / stopped and went on with his day. Napped and slept all night the next morning he wouldnt raise his arm to get his jammies off. I called the doc got an appt in the after noon. sure enough his colar bone was broken. I felt really bad but he truely didnt act hurt until much later in the day:
Hugs and hope your little one is feeling better.
post #39 of 46


12 hrs - especially when it happened at night and there were no obvious signs - is fast!!

s for all of you!!! Ana just asked me a few minutes ago when you guys are coming over to swim... /
I told her what happened, she said she had to get off the phone to go make a card for Kyle and asked if we can get some balloons for him tonight
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
Thank you. It can be difficult to know when you need to seek medical care.

So to the mamas who made the comment of me "finally" taking him to see a Dr...get off my back. Would I have taken him in right away if I *knew* his arm was broken? Yes. However, I didn't and really didn't have any good indication that it was broken and not just sprained or sore from falling. Even the Pedi did not think it was broken when he saw it. He was surprised the x-ray showed that it was. I didn't want to rush to the ER at night, by myself with two tired cranky kids, and spend the ER co-pay if it wasn't nescessary. As it turns out that proably would have worked out better, but hindsight is 20/20.

I feel badly enough about not watching DS carefully in the shower that allowed the accident to happen. I feel badly that I didn't have pain meds to give him. I feel badly that I didn't take him in right away, but as I stated I did not think his arm was broken. So it doesn't help to come here and see posts saying, "I'm glad you finally took him."

Yeah, it's been a very stressful and tiring 48 hours and maybe I'm a bit sensitive so please no one else indicate that I made an error in judgement. I know I did. I don't need it pointed out to me right now.
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this, too. It is so hard to tell with broken bones, especially in children who are so resilient and so much stronger than you would ever expect! When my boyfriend broke his wrist we waited over 24 hours to go in - it seemed like the right thing to do, rather than clogging up the ER over Christmas eve/Christmas day, especially since we didn't think it was broken. No harm done in waiting 24 hours for a break like this
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Expired medicine *Update*