or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › HTG - Healing the Gut September/October 07
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTG - Healing the Gut September/October 07 - Page 12

post #221 of 254
I have checked out RealMilk. The closest place listed there is almost 2 hours away. That's quite a long drive. One place does say they deliver overnight so I'm planning to check that out. The goat farmers I spoke to said they can't even sell it labeled for pet use anymore because the state has made a law that they have to add charcoal to it once they realized people were still consuming it themselves. I haven't seen any totally grassfed products in the stores here. We have Horizon and another brand (can't remember now) of organic milk products. I've heard some bad things about Horizon but don't know if they're true. There's no way for me to verify it since it was hearsay.

RE: Platinum. I recently asked about that at a local jewelry store and was told it's not even readily available anymore because it's become so expensive. Back in 1999 when I got engaged and we were looking at wedding bands platinum was too expensive for us so we got white gold. Don't know if that might be less allergenic. I've had problems with yellow gold but no problems with my white gold.
post #222 of 254
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
So how to tell if the iron is bioavailable or not?
heme iron (animal sources like red meat) is much more available than non-heme iron (plant sources). Vitamin C helps you absorb iron, calcium and phytic acid blocks absorption. And if you're REALLY interested, http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/71/5/1147 provides an algorithm for calculating how much iron you're likely to absorb from a given meal.
post #223 of 254
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I have checked out RealMilk. The closest place listed there is almost 2 hours away. That's quite a long drive. One place does say they deliver overnight so I'm planning to check that out. The goat farmers I spoke to said they can't even sell it labeled for pet use anymore because the state has made a law that they have to add charcoal to it once they realized people were still consuming it themselves. I haven't seen any totally grassfed products in the stores here. We have Horizon and another brand (can't remember now) of organic milk products. I've heard some bad things about Horizon but don't know if they're true. There's no way for me to verify it since it was hearsay.
That is far. do you have a local WAPF chapter? maybe there's a co-op in the area? i don't have the link handy, but somewhere there's a list online where a ton of organic dairies nation-wide are rated. Horizon got the lowest rating, but I think it was from not returning the survey. Anyone else know what I'm talking about and have the link?
post #224 of 254
Oh, thanks, WhoMe. I'll see if I can find a ratings site for organic milk. The other brand is something Valley. The organic butter and sour cream is all Horizon. I think we do have organic cheese from Kraft. I tend not to fully trust the large food companies that suddenly start providing organics.

I have chicken stock! Now, what do I do with it?
post #225 of 254
Thread Starter 
And finally, our update. I don't know when I last posted. I got my blood nutrient levels back, and I'm low-normal on almost everything. Of course, it wasn't a very extensive panel. But from there, I know that I'm not crazy-low on iron anymore (I was when I was pg) and that I'm not technically zinc deficient - so (still) assuming I have a leaky gut, it's not so severe that it's blocking zinc absorption. yay!

I don't know if I should call it intuition or burn-out, but I'm feeling like some of dd's senstivities may be going away. I haven't tested anything yet, but literally in the last week, she's gone from demanding food and stealing bites to actually EATING spoonfuls of banana and demanding meals. And her poop's changed. I'm taking this as a sign of her gut maturing, and maybe, just maybe I'll be able to retry dairy. I did a mini-test of almonds, and no reaction (thank goodness!) - next it to try eggs. And then raw milk. And then I'll be a happy camper. dh thinks i should try stuff like corn and soy first but that's more for his own convenience. I want milk, and I don't mind having a hard-core 'no' to grains when I'm trying to avoid them anyways. Did that make sense?

Anyhow. I'm feeling like there's hope out there. But I haven't actually checked, so I might crash and burn. Who knows.

Oh and I tried a little bentonite. I think it seriously messed up my system. I don't know if I got the wrong kind, of if I was just eating too much dried fruit and beans at the same time. But now I'm scared of it
post #226 of 254
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Oh, thanks, WhoMe. I'll see if I can find a ratings site for organic milk. The other brand is something Valley. The organic butter and sour cream is all Horizon. I think we do have organic cheese from Kraft. I tend not to fully trust the large food companies that suddenly start providing organics.
I just remembered - the other thing to watch out for with horizon is that they ultra-pasteurize some of their milk. And you definitely want to avoid that. Also, if you have trader joe's or whole foods, i think a lot of times their house brand stuff is from local dairies, so might actually one of your better choices.
Quote:
I have chicken stock! Now, what do I do with it?
make soup! or cook rice/other grains in it. or use it as a base for sauce. you can also boil it down to concentrate it and/or freeze it into ice cube trays for when you just want small bits (deglazing, etc)
post #227 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I don't know if I should call it intuition or burn-out, but I'm feeling like some of dd's senstivities may be going away. I haven't tested anything yet, but literally in the last week, she's gone from demanding food and stealing bites to actually EATING spoonfuls of banana and demanding meals. And her poop's changed. I'm taking this as a sign of her gut maturing, and maybe, just maybe I'll be able to retry dairy. I did a mini-test of almonds, and no reaction (thank goodness!) - next it to try eggs. And then raw milk. And then I'll be a happy camper. dh thinks i should try stuff like corn and soy first but that's more for his own convenience. I want milk, and I don't mind having a hard-core 'no' to grains when I'm trying to avoid them anyways. Did that make sense?

Anyhow. I'm feeling like there's hope out there. But I haven't actually checked, so I might crash and burn. Who knows.
GOOD LUCK whoMe!!!!! I hope you start getting some foods back with NO reactions!
post #228 of 254
No Whole Foods or Trader Joe's close enough to shop. I've got the military commissary, Food Lion, Wal-Mart (which I refuse to shop at no matter what) and Target. The commissary seems to be the best for organics but the stuff they have is still pretty mainstream. If it weren't for the Marine Corps bases here, this town would be next to nothing.
post #229 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I have chicken stock! Now, what do I do with it?
I've had lots of luck getting it into my DD by cooking it down to concentrate it and freezing it in ice cube trays. Then, when I want to cool off food instead of grabbing ice cubes I grab a broth cube and add nutrition. I do this to cool down noodles, soups, etc. Its also great because I use it as homemade instant bouillon- so I dilute it back with water when I'm using it in a recipe. Adding a cube or two to stir-fry is one of my favs right now!
post #230 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
I've had lots of luck getting it into my DD by cooking it down to concentrate it and freezing it in ice cube trays. Then, when I want to cool off food instead of grabbing ice cubes I grab a broth cube and add nutrition. I do this to cool down noodles, soups, etc. Its also great because I use it as homemade instant bouillon- so I dilute it back with water when I'm using it in a recipe. Adding a cube or two to stir-fry is one of my favs right now!
GREAT idea! Thanks! NAK
post #231 of 254

Please Help

Okay, so we are doing SCD, dairy-free for now. We just started a few weeks ago. The last week I have been sick, first with a cold, then with a stomach flu, (overlapping) and now with post-nasal drip, cough, and debilitating congestion-migraine headaches for the last three days in a row. This headache is SO bad. I have been sick more often this year than any other year and I believe it is because of my increasingly worsening gut problems this year. Anyway, I have been so good and strict about following this diet. But I haven't added in any supplements yet. I can't stomach cod liver oil right now (tried that) and I am using raw coconut oil. Mostly just eating eggs, bananas, homemade chicken soup, spinach, green beans, broiled hamburger, and a little tomato juice (mixed into my soup) occasionally. Oh, well-cooked onions and garlic in my soup. Yeah, the rotation gets old. Meanwhile, last night, my husband enjoyed an ice cream shake and spiced fries in front of me. I really miss raw veggies, like in a salad. I think I will try buying some salad stuff at the store today. I think I might be ready (crosses fingers!) And what about probiotics? I think I should start taking something now bu I have NO idea which kind to get. I am afraid to make an expensive mistake.

Please give me advice and encouragement. It has been a majorly stinky week. I'm so sick and tired of being sick. I want to feel vital and strong again, yk?
post #232 of 254
I'm reading about Candida again, and I would like to eliminate foods that feed the candida fungus - it looks like sugars and grains are #1, and some websites say to eliminate foods that have yeast - like alcohol, fermented foods, pickled foods, moldy foods (blue cheese), etc. So, here are two questions on my mind:

1. Does anyone know if the white sugar in kombucha feeds candida? It seems like the sugar would be eaten, esp bc I let my kombucha sit for around 2 weeks, usually. Any thoughts? I don't use white sugar anywhere except kombucha. I do use molasses, honey and maple syrup occasionally - maybe 1-3T per week.

2. Has anyone here had success eliminating or treating candida? Did you have to give up all those other foods? Or were you successful just getting rid of sugar and grains?

TIA!
post #233 of 254
HerbanGirl, I'm interested in your responses, as I too am going up against Candida. My NP gave me the book called "Yeast Connection Handbook" and it gives a detailed instruction on what to eat and what not to eat. Grains are listed in the eat cautiously, although it may be due to allergy sensitivities. The book says not to eat anything with yeast or sugar of any kind (including condiments and anything with vinegar). No fruit for 3 weeks , or maybe longer, depending if you pass the test at the 3 month mark.
post #234 of 254
Thread Starter 
no more almonds for me:
post #235 of 254
how come?
post #236 of 254
Thread Starter 
I thought dd was starting to react to them. So I cut out all nuts and eggs for a week or two (not really rigorous, I know) and reintroduced them earlier this week. I didn't think she was reacting. Then yesterday she had a repeated slightly-grown-up version of bloody, mucousy poop, was clingy ALL DAY, and I realized that maybe part of why she's been a nightmare to put to bed these past few days was her reacting to the almonds in addition to teething.

I started eating eggs yesterday, before I knew she was reacting, and I made a big batch of (GFCF) pumpkin pie bars with egg. So now I'm stuck wondering if I should be eating the eggs at all, or if I'll recognize if she's reacting to them. Grump.
post #237 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
HerbanGirl, I'm interested in your responses, as I too am going up against Candida. My NP gave me the book called "Yeast Connection Handbook" and it gives a detailed instruction on what to eat and what not to eat. Grains are listed in the eat cautiously, although it may be due to allergy sensitivities. The book says not to eat anything with yeast or sugar of any kind (including condiments and anything with vinegar). No fruit for 3 weeks , or maybe longer, depending if you pass the test at the 3 month mark.
Have you been following the diet? If so, what are your results? I just reserved that book at the library, and I'll pick it up on Monday. It seems strange to me that so many Candida diets say no yeast...does yeast feed on yeast? Some candida diets I've read say you don't need to worry about eating yeast...others say yes, plus sugar. Others say yes, plus sugar and dairy and grains and nuts and seeds. : I just don't know what to make of it anymore. I guess trial and error is the best way in the end, as another poster said. At least I know how to muscle test, but when it comes to food I don't quite trust myself to self-test accurately.

When I just listen to my body, it seems to say that most grains (except occasional oats) aren't good, although true sourdough bread seems okay once in a while. Also, that dairy gets addictive for me quickly, and bloats my whole body (arms especially - ) but sometimes it feels okay. Refined sugar is out of my diet (except the kombucha - still waiting for some ideas from MDC mamas on that one) but honey/maple syrup/molasses seems to be okay unless I have too much.

I guess I just wish there was a *right* answer to all of this...but maybe there just isn't.
post #238 of 254

Enzymes and kombucha

Ok, So I've been making my way through the HTG sticky.

Today I was reading here: http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionleakygut.htm


In talking about leaky gut it talks about how the liver is overloaded. I was wondering about giving my kids kombucha. Has anyone done that? It would be a source of probiotics and liver support/detox that should help in their healing.

Also, in reading about the enzymes--it all makes lots of sense to me and I'd like to get started. Has anyone started with just papain? I have some of those already and they are inexpensive (and my children's problems are fairly mild) so I was wondering about that being a starting point. Anyone used bromelain or papain with success? Did you use them both with and between meals?

Thanks in advance for any insight! I've learned so much here!
post #239 of 254
Thread Starter 
I just went to our local health food store to talk to the person who "knows all about leaky gut" and she's super nice and gave me her card and is a nutritionist. I might have someone to help me through this, woo hoo!

She also recommended enzymedica digestive enzyems and (most likely) L-glutamine and super-healers.

I can't wait for the initial consultation!
post #240 of 254
I think I'm going to try doing daily Kombucha, if I can swing the expense (until I learn how to make it). I had drunk this before (earlier this year) and it made me feel so much better. I had tried to make a batch myself but it didn't turn out at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › HTG - Healing the Gut September/October 07