or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Preteens and Teens › Why do kids 'need' cell phones???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do kids 'need' cell phones??? - Page 8

post #141 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalateaDunkel View Post
As a young girl I was physically assaulted on my way home from school on more than one occasion. I also experienced countless situations where I felt unsafe for one reason or another. Often because my activities required me to walk or wait for the bus in an area where there weren't a lot of people around or open businesses one could just walk into. Add to that the fact that for several years, starting when I was only ELEVEN, I was subject to a large volume of verbal harassment from men every time I went out. I was pretty street smart but the ability to whip out a phone, loudly say 'hi, Dad' and report my location would have been vastly reassuring in many situations.

Maybe a lot of MDCers live in more sheltered environments but the attitude that young people, especially young women, should just rely on the kindness of strangers for their communication and personal safety needs just blows my mind.
Like it's pure spoiled-adolescent self-indulgence to want an easy solution in such situations rather than nervously wander around looking for help, feeling more and more like a target with each passing minute.

I also don't understand the attitude that up to date means of communication is a luxury of which teens are unworthy.

I'm sure my child will have a phone as soon as she starts going places without supervision. I was in the third grade when I had my first difficulty with a male in a public place.

This is the same website where leaving a toddler in a car for one minute while returning a grocery cart is unthinkable? Weird.
I'm sorry that you've suffered like that as a child.

I fully admit I live in an area that is "sheltered" so to speak, and as a parent I will put in effort to keep my kids/teens sheltered and safe. It's my #1 job. If a cell phone will be helpful, we'll get one. I fully understand that parents in other situations and communities would want a cell.

I do believe in the goodness of other people, especially in my experiences in the community where we live. Also, I would have no hesitation helping any child, in any way.

Cell phones may be a helpful safety tool. I don't necessarily think they are the best or only means of providing safety for a child. As this community has a great diversity of people in various situations and with various experiences, to each family their own. I don't see this as a topic with a right or wrong answer to it.
post #142 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
Hey, I'm not judging anyone, so no more personal attacks against me, k? thanks.

I just think it's ironic that the "natural family living community" is so tied down by such a modern convenience.

A teen being "alone" for 2.5 hours at a concert is not a big deal...besides...the teen would probably know that the friend smokes pot and/or would be likely to go smoke a joint during the concert (I was certainly aware of which of my friends partook) and would probably be able to avoid the situation by saying "Hey, dude, not cool, just chill here for the concert" or by *gasp* not going to the concert with someone who does drugs! Amazing how that works...of course, it relies on the teen having good judgment, and the parent being aware of what's going on.

A teen being "alone" for 10 hours isn't a huge deal either - you say "let's meet at X location every hour to check in"...boom, you keep tabs on your kid, they can wander at will, and no need for a cell phone - just a watch.

And, most locations that have public gatherings - such as an outdoor amphitheater - have first aid tents (if you're feeling ill or break a bone) or a security office.

I will concede to the breaking down with a 5 month old...that would suck, and that is a situation where, without a phone, you would be entirely at the mercy of good Samaritans. However...I don't think your every day run-of-the-mill teen is going to have a 5 month old in their car.
I'd love to talk with you about what happened to me when I was a teen and was out with "friends" my parents trusted. Had I had a cell phone, my life would be very different right now.

Dont buy your kid a cell phone if you dont want to. But confrontational statements like the ones you have posted only serve to negate what other parents feel is an important, responsible thing to provide for their family.
post #143 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
Hey, I'm not judging anyone, so no more personal attacks against me, k? thanks.

I just think it's ironic that the "natural family living community" is so tied down by such a modern convenience.

A teen being "alone" for 2.5 hours at a concert is not a big deal...besides...the teen would probably know that the friend smokes pot and/or would be likely to go smoke a joint during the concert (I was certainly aware of which of my friends partook) and would probably be able to avoid the situation by saying "Hey, dude, not cool, just chill here for the concert" or by *gasp* not going to the concert with someone who does drugs! Amazing how that works...of course, it relies on the teen having good judgment, and the parent being aware of what's going on.

A teen being "alone" for 10 hours isn't a huge deal either - you say "let's meet at X location every hour to check in"...boom, you keep tabs on your kid, they can wander at will, and no need for a cell phone - just a watch.

And, most locations that have public gatherings - such as an outdoor amphitheater - have first aid tents (if you're feeling ill or break a bone) or a security office.

I will concede to the breaking down with a 5 month old...that would suck, and that is a situation where, without a phone, you would be entirely at the mercy of good Samaritans. However...I don't think your every day run-of-the-mill teen is going to have a 5 month old in their car.
Yup. Agreed.
post #144 of 160
My kids have cell phones for my peace of mind. I pay for basic service and texting. If they want more they have to pay for it. Do they need it? Nope. Do I? No, and if I couldn't afford it none of us would have a cell. But they're sure darned convenient, and that's why we all have one.
post #145 of 160
My ds1 is 14 and has had a phone for a year. He took it to school with him today because he was taking his bike and going home with a friend to his house for the first time and wanted to be able to call me if he needed to. As it turned out the friend rode half way home with him, came off his bike and ripped half the skin off his forearm. Ds1 isn't squeamish but he said it looked fleshy and way deeper than a scrape.

Anyhow he used his phone to call the friend's mum to come and pick him up off the side of the road because he was in a state where he couldn't have got back on the bike and got home safely. Then he called me to tell me what had happened and that he might be home later than the time we had agreed because he was going to wait til the friend's mum came for him.

There probably would have been a way to sort this without a phone but the phone made it easier.

And FTR no my son isn't the type to make up a story so he can stay out later - even if he is a teenager.
post #146 of 160
I’ve only read up to page 4….I will finish reading once I post this.

I have a total love/ hate thing going on with the idea of my son having a cell. Because of this I have not purchased him one and he finally just purchased his own pay as you go.

Kids having cells can be unsafe too and honestly I’m surprised that nobody else has brought this up!

Kids have been jumped when out in the community and guess what their cells did to help them with that, crap because it was their CELL, PSP or whatever other electronic gadget that they were being jumped for! I’ve also spoken to my sons HS about their stance on cell phones and they DO NOT want kids bringing them to school period end of story. There are totally responsible kids with phones, I get that, BUT there are also too many kids abuse them. They also mentioned that schools have is a big problem with school bags being stolen and lockers that getting broken into for the loot that might be inside.

Anyhoo, I guess I have more of a problem with kids walking around with electronics period….makes me worry even more.
post #147 of 160
So which is it, damned if you do damned if you don't Sheesh. : It's an individual choice for each family. There are families where the benefits of having a cell phone for the kids outweigh the risks, and there are families where the opposite is true. Obviously, there is no "right" answer to this. Bottom line, we can discuss this and pick it apart until our eyes turn blue, the at the end of the day we all walk away from our computers and do what we feel is right for our families. I am of the belief that yes, in some cases, kids do need cell phones. However, there are some people that live in areas and lead lifestyles that simply don't necessitate the use of cell phones. I think that the area in which you live, the activities in which your child participates in, and your particular comfort level and trust in your child is all going to play huge roles in this decision. I my own situation, my kids will have cell phones. I live in a suburb of a large city, where there is crime, and scary people walk at night. There are at least seven dangerous sex offenders living in close proximity to my living area, including one that is one mile from my daughter's school. So yes, when my daughters get older and want to "hang out" with friends and go to the mall, they will have a cell phones. It's well within my comfort level. I can't trust the world that I'm in to keep my kid safe, so I'll do everything in my power to do so. For me, that means cell phone. For you, it might not. Fine, let's agree to disagree.
post #148 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
For me, that means cell phone. For you, it might not. Fine, let's agree to disagree.
I know. Why is the no cell phone camp so admant about other kids not needing cell phones? If your kid doesn't she doesn't. Don't get her one.

This is a really long thread.
post #149 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
Convenience. We live in the city, both parents work, and we don't have a car. I give my kids more freedom than seems to be the norm on MDC. The cellphones allow us to keep in touch, change plans if we want, and I feel that they contribute to safety.

If my dd 13 needs to get a taxi to or from an activity, she can call a cab easily. Then, when the cab comes, she phones me from the cab, and gives me the medallion # and driver name. I feel that any driver knowing that he has already been indentified is highly unlikely to try anything inappropriate.

So far we haven't had any problems with gigantic bills or inappropriate cell phone use.
I have to agree with this. Same reasons we give our dd (13) a phone. I feel so much better knowing I can get a hold of her ANYTIME. I also have 2 toddlers so it makes my life that much easier I don't have to wait around for her to get done with something she does not when it ends. she just calls me and I come get her and the kids don't have to wait either. It saves me time and worry. She only ran up the bill once and we made her pay for it out of her allowance. She hasn't done that again.
post #150 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by <~*MamaRose*~> View Post
I’ve only read up to page 4….I will finish reading once I post this.

I have a total love/ hate thing going on with the idea of my son having a cell. Because of this I have not purchased him one and he finally just purchased his own pay as you go.

Kids having cells can be unsafe too and honestly I’m surprised that nobody else has brought this up!

Kids have been jumped when out in the community and guess what their cells did to help them with that, crap because it was their CELL, PSP or whatever other electronic gadget that they were being jumped for! I’ve also spoken to my sons HS about their stance on cell phones and they DO NOT want kids bringing them to school period end of story. There are totally responsible kids with phones, I get that, BUT there are also too many kids abuse them. They also mentioned that schools have is a big problem with school bags being stolen and lockers that getting broken into for the loot that might be inside.

Anyhoo, I guess I have more of a problem with kids walking around with electronics period….makes me worry even more.
I see your point but we live in an area where most of the kids have cell phones and know one has been robbed because ..well.. the novelty has just worn off.. kids don't steal cell phones around here so I am just not worried about that and if it did get stolen we got insurance on it, no big deal. The highschool does not care if they have them as long as they have them turned off during school hours (also there is a blocker in the school so they can't make phone calls anyway they have to go outside)
post #151 of 160
I agree that most kids DO have them and the novelty should have worn off but yet it's still happening!

Anyhoo, I just wanted to throw that one point in as food for thought but honestly after reading all of the posts I guess *my* cell *issue* isn't really what this thread is about....I should have started my own thread about the dangers of kids walking around with expensive electronics not just cells.

Cheers!
post #152 of 160
Buying kids expensive cells is a different issue. I really don't think I need to worry about someone stealing a $24.99 TracFone.

At the end of the day, for some parents/families, it is a luxury. For some it is a nice thing to have. For others it is a necessity. Why we need to judge the decisions of others regarding their family's needs (or lack of them) is beyond me.
post #153 of 160
Was it Sex and The City where a woman's Jimmy Choos were stolen? The robber told her to take off her shoes at gunpoint and she says "Oh but they are my favorites!"

What I am saying, and this thread is making me even more punchy, is that anything can be stolen. Maybe kids should wear uniforms to school (that old can of worms ) and white no -name tennis shoes (no Jimmy CHoos for you!) Then there would be nothing worth stealing, right?
post #154 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Maybe kids should wear uniforms to school (that old can of worms ) and white no -name tennis shoes (no Jimmy CHoos for you!) Then there would be nothing worth stealing, right?
Ohhhh you are so right, absolutely uniforms and nondescript shoes would prevent everything BUT the uniforms would be ALL THE TIME not just at school.:nana:

Sorry my posts urked you. I was just posting my thoughts which I recognized didn't really fit into this thread but I had already posted so the damage was already done.
post #155 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by <~*MamaRose*~> View Post
Sorry my posts urked you.
No need to apologize for something that never happened.
post #156 of 160
Perhaps this is slightly off-topic, but it is related.
My mom is an elementary school teacher (5th and 6th grade is what she is currently teaching).
The school district she works for has a rule that no electronics can be brought to school including i-pods, cellphones, MP3's, etc. (I honestly don't know what all the personal electronics are.)
The two reasons are:
1) They are a distraction in class.
2) They encourage theft.
post #157 of 160
My son needs a cell phone because he goes on long training rides on his bicycle and may be miles away from home with a mechanical he can't fix with his small tool bag. If this were not the case, he wouldn't have one.
post #158 of 160
Deleted by user.
post #159 of 160
My ds is seven and got a cell phone for his bday (he will soon be 8)...I am trying to teach him the responsibility of it NOW so that when the time comes he will be used to having it. I got him a kid phone that has all sorts of restrictions and when he is old enough I can turn on the Chaperone feature (basically a GPS locater so I can monitor where he is).
I didn't have a cell phone until my mid twenties....they just weren't practical or affordable at the time....I did however have a pager....
I guess ds doesn't "need" a cell phone...but he has one just the same.
post #160 of 160
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenangelcat View Post
Studies show that they actually make them less safe because parents are given a false sense of security with them. A cell isn't going to stop your kid from getting raped and/or murdered. That phone will be meaningless in that type of situation. It likely won't even make it to the getaway car.

I think it's definitely a personal choice for what works for your family but nobody should believe that a cell is going to protect their child because it's not.
I agree with this.

I am not against kids having phones and can definitely see where they come in handy especially if you live in a large city and your child has a lot of freedom or you are a single parent or you SO travels a lot.
However, I don't think they make kids safer and do feel they can give parents that false security.
I think back to things that happened to me as a teenager (raped at 14) and I know even if I had a phone, it wouldn't have done any good.

Keri
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Preteens and Teens
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Preteens and Teens › Why do kids 'need' cell phones???