or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › First thing you say when someone asks you why homeschool?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First thing you say when someone asks you why homeschool? - Page 2

post #21 of 54
Because I want more for my children than Public School can offer.
post #22 of 54
My favorite response is Melissa Wiley's-
"Because I can give my kids a great education AND a happy childhood".

I usually say
"Well, we accidentally fell into homeschooling and we really think it is a great way to educate our children. Our entire family has been very happy with homeschooling."
post #23 of 54
I haven't really run into any hostile responses yet. Most people have either been supportive or neutral... even if it's not something they would choose for their family, they acknowledge/understand that it can be a valid choice for ours.

My general casual one-line to 'explain' it now though is simply "We're happy with how things are going for us, so we're going to just keep doing what we've been doing." Basically, our kids have been thriving by learning at home so far; there's no need for us to change that once they become "school-aged".

I really don't feel like we need explanations or reasons (although there are many reasons that homeschooling is a priority for us)... we just like it, so that's what we do. That should be reason enough. I don't need to validate us deciding to educate our own children, any more than I have to justify breastfeeding our children. It's "normal", in my mind, regardless of what's usual in our culture.
post #24 of 54
"Homeschooling allows our child to learn at his own pace". I've yet to receive a negative response to this and we've gotten many very positive ones.

When you've been homeschooling for a while it is pretty easy to get a sense when people ask why they are asking. Some people are genuinely curious because they just like to know about everything in life.. Some people want to argue. Some people may have considered homeschooling and want to find out more.
post #25 of 54
"Because public school didn't work for DS; hs is a better fit."
post #26 of 54
I don't have an answer because dd is only three and no one bothers us

But I like the answers in this thread and can't choose which I like best between these:

Because we can. (I don't necessarily want to criticize conventional schooling, but this expresses my feeling that, um, why would we send them away to school when we can do it ourselves???)

We like it. (Simple, impossible to argue with. Not defensive.)

It's more fun. (Just in case you thought we were being martyrs!)

Thanks for the great ideas!
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
To grownups and/or people I want to think of me as a grownup: The public schools are a mess, and private schools foster an unhealthy sense of elitism and entitlement which doesn't serve children well later in life.

To kids and/or people who know me well/people who are closer to my own age/more laid-back sorts: School sucks; I know, I went.
These are great! We usually go with the family time is so valuable, we want to be the greatest influences in their lives, and the fact that I have taught in PS and know what it's all about.
post #28 of 54
It works for us.

Why not? It's such a great option.

Because school isn't necessary for learning.
post #29 of 54
We like it, want some bean dip?
post #30 of 54
It is the best choice for us right now.
post #31 of 54
"Because we can and we love it!"

I have one in school(by his choice) and one at home. I love having the option to homeschool(will not always be possible) and we really enjoy the lifestyle.
post #32 of 54
First thing I say: uhmmm, hmmmm, blah blah blah

What I am working on saying: "its been working so well for us, we're going to keep going with it" :
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachingona1 View Post
When someone (not like minded) asks you why you choose to homeschool, what do you say?

my answer is, because i'm a mean mom and i don't want my kids to socialize.
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMoon View Post
We like it, want some bean dip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
my answer is, because i'm a mean mom and i don't want my kids to socialize.
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
my answer is, because i'm a mean mom and i don't want my kids to socialize.
:
post #36 of 54
Because it's fun, we love it, and it works for us.
post #37 of 54
I usually go with "why not?" or "because we can." If I think the person's genuinely interested I usually explain a bit more: because I want my kids to learn more and better than they would in public schools, because I don't think public school is the right place for dd1, because we value family time together.
post #38 of 54
I don't homeschool, but if/when I am, I am inclined to say, "Well, everyone always told me I'd make a great teacher! My kids deserve the best!"
post #39 of 54
I actually came in here to post this very question b/c just today at the park I ran into a mom that I just kind of know.
I didn't even plan on going into the the whole "we homeschool" thing but she was asking about DD and school and I said, "she isn't really old enough b/c the cut off is Oct 1st" (DD will be 5 and most people are asking about kindergarten)
Duh to me b/c I totally forgot that preschool even existed : ...of course she was wondering about PRE school.
so I said, "well we are going to homeschool anyway"
I always say it really casual b/c I hang out here so much that I forget it isn't really a popular choice.
I have *almost* never gotten any bad reaction (Inlaws excluded) most people take it or leave it. but she said "why did you decide to do *that*"
So I started explaining things about the great groups we belong to to try and head off the socialization question when in my head I actually said, "STOP"
then I just said to her, "it really works for our family"
I just didn't know how to explain it without insulting her choices.
post #40 of 54
"Never felt a compeling need to institutionalize them, Bean dip anyone?"

Honestly though it's about choice,I'm grateful to live someplace where I have one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › First thing you say when someone asks you why homeschool?