or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › How would you feel about this snack policy? (Reason for asking added to original post
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How would you feel about this snack policy? (Reason for asking added to original post

Poll Results: How do you feel about the nutrition policy below?

 
  • 84% (186)
    Fantastic! I've been looking for a school like this!
  • 7% (17)
    Not my cup of tea, but if I liked the school I would deal
  • 4% (9)
    Way to strict; I wouldn't send my child there
  • 3% (8)
    Other, please explain
220 Total Votes  
post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 
How would you feel about the following nutrition policy for your childs preschool?

This it a pharaphrased version...a 2 page list of snack ideas (though you can bring things that are not on the list as long as it is within the guidelines) follow including numerous brands that meet the guidelines.

Kids are at school 2.5 hours and it is just a snack. Each family brings snacks 3 times a year.

Snack should include foods from at least two of the following food groups: fresh fruits or fresh vegetables, whole grains, and protein. Water will be served with snack and child sized pitchers are provided at school.

When choosing items for snack, please purchase or make items that are free of hydrogenated oils (also called Trans Fats), artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, aspartame, and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and artificial colors. Due to life threatening allergies, we do not allow any nut products at school.

*** This is the actual nutrition policy for our co-op preschool...another like minded mom and I wrote it and this is the second year its been in place. About 95% of the schools parents really like in and are very supportive, but every year we get a few who find it restrictive, too strict etc and this year we had one parent who who was angry she could not bring koolaid. I was curious to see how other parents viewed it.
post #2 of 97
happy! that is the way we usually shop, except for the peanut allergy part.

am i missing something?
post #3 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom View Post
happy! that is the way we usually shop, except for the peanut allergy part.

am i missing something?
The poll took me a few minutes to get up...the phone rang and then my kiddo needed more red paint and glitter. It's there now!
post #4 of 97
I buy snacks that fit that guideline too and WISH desperately that others did. I do avoid nuts because my oldest ds has a child with a nut allergy in his school and we need to. So, I avoid snacks with nuts for everything (soccer, youngest son's preschool, etc.) just in case.

I also avoid artificial food additives like colors and flavors. I wonder why in the world it is so hard for parents to bring fresh fruit and whole grain pretzels or something similar for snack.

I was the mom who brought watermelon for soccer snack when all the other families bring freezer pops.
post #5 of 97
I do find it odd that they want a snack containing something from both groups, but know it's healthier that way. My dd usually only eats a couple bites of her snack and brings the rest home so maybe that's why it looks a little odd to me. The reasoning behind it looks really good though and I wish the snacks brought to school here were even close. We had to have a note home that Gatorade is not juice and they don't want the kindergarten kids to have it for snack. I think dd is the only one that brings a water bottle filled at home with her every day.
post #6 of 97
I voted "fantastic I've been looking for a school like this" even though I'm not actually looking for a new preschool right now. It's the kind of snack policy I would vote for if my kids were in a school where parents brought snacks for the whole class, as opposed to each family sending a snack for their own children.

I don't avoid nuts because we're not allergic- so why should my child be denied a healthy, high protein snack that he'll actually eat? His school is peanut free, but not nut free.
post #7 of 97
i would like that, too.
post #8 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I don't avoid nuts because we're not allergic- so why should my child be denied a healthy, high protein snack that he'll actually eat? His school is peanut free, but not nut free.
Schools aren't nut free in an attempt to deny children a healthy snack or make parents' lives difficult.
I'll assume you weren't aware that tree nut allergies are also common and are frequently life-threatening.
post #9 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I don't avoid nuts because we're not allergic- so why should my child be denied a healthy, high protein snack that he'll actually eat? His school is peanut free, but not nut free.
There are 2 children at our school who are deathly allergic to nuts...one to tree nuts and one to peanuts. We are a parent co-op and have decided that making the school nut free is the least we can do for these 2 kiddos and thier families. Since children are only there 2.5 hours 2 or 3 days a week, if they don'e eat snack they won't go hungry.
post #10 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
I do find it odd that they want a snack containing something from both groups, but know it's healthier that way. My dd usually only eats a couple bites of her snack and brings the rest home so maybe that's why it looks a little odd to me. The reasoning behind it looks really good though and I wish the snacks brought to school here were even close. We had to have a note home that Gatorade is not juice and they don't want the kindergarten kids to have it for snack. I think dd is the only one that brings a water bottle filled at home with her every day.
The state licensing department requires the 2 food group thing...
post #11 of 97
i think it is great!
post #12 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailsMomSarah View Post
About 95% of the schools parents really like in and are very supportive, but every year we get a few who find it restrictive, too strict etc and this year we had one parent who who was angry she could not bring koolaid.
Ha. She should be glad I didn't write the policy.

Our co-op allowed water, milk, or 100% fruit juice. But I know of several co-ops that don't allow juice at all, only milk or water. And if I had my way, water would be the only beverage offered. Spills are easier to clean up and it is always a healthy choice!
post #13 of 97
It sounds good to me, but honestly I just prefer having each family send a snack for their individual child each day. There is no way to accomodate everyone and then the koolaid mom could send that for her kid if she so desired.
post #14 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I don't avoid nuts because we're not allergic- so why should my child be denied a healthy, high protein snack that he'll actually eat? His school is peanut free, but not nut free.
Because your child having a big fistful of pistacchios, walnuts, or pecans could kill my son. I like the snack guidelines for the OP's school.
post #15 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
Ha. She should be glad I didn't write the policy.

Our co-op allowed water, milk, or 100% fruit juice. But I know of several co-ops that don't allow juice at all, only milk or water. And if I had my way, water would be the only beverage offered. Spills are easier to clean up and it is always a healthy choice!
Parents used to bring juice, but when we re-wrote the policy we changed it to water only.

We do allow 100% fruit juice to be served at parties
post #16 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd1amommy View Post
Because your child having a big fistful of pistacchios, walnuts, or pecans could kill my son. I like the snack guidelines for the OP's school.
yeah, us too! that's why my oldest is not able to go to a local preschool - they REFUSE to make it peanut free at the very minimum. . . .


his latest testing came back HIGHER than it was a year ago for the tree nuts and peanuts . . . .

it's not worth the chance my kid will die if exposed to someone else leaving this residue behind on the walls, door knobs, play areas, etc.

in reply to op, i really like the mandate at that school. the deaf school preschool in ohio was cool with making it peanut free for my kid.
post #17 of 97
if my son couldn't bring peanut butter to school he would starve to death as he ONLY eats pb&j, every day. always. no exception!
post #18 of 97
ummmmm,

I think you're preaching to the chior here! I would LOVE it my parents would send in natural foods! Are you looking for a teacher:
post #19 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailsMomSarah View Post
Parents used to bring juice, but when we re-wrote the policy we changed it to water only.
Oops, I didn't read closely enough to see that your co-op is water only.
I agree with your new policy whole-heartedly.

The only thing kool-aid is good for is dying silk scarves or coloring playdough. And even that I feel : about.
post #20 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailsMomSarah View Post
The state licensing department requires the 2 food group thing...
In that case it makes perfect sense and sounds great. Like I said before we have to deal with parents thinking Gatorade is a good drink at snack time :
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at School
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › How would you feel about this snack policy? (Reason for asking added to original post