Originally Posted by Naturalyst
Been there, done that and can say with assuredness that nothing short of bleach gets the stains left behind by mold.
And even bleach works only very slowly on it, and oxidizes vulcanized rubber, making it brittle.
I think mold or mildew on rubber bath mats can be prevented
by adding chlorine dioxide to your bath water, even if you don't do it every bath and there are showers in between. Unless you're using the expensive Oxyfresh/Purogene products (like Springfresh shower gel), chlorine dioxide needs to be home made. It's much milder than hypochlorite bleach, very safe on skin and eyes (or even swallowed) at appropriate dilution, won't bleach washcloths, and doesn't have the environmental objections of some chlorine products. Plus, it's actually a stronger antimicrobial than bleach. I've noticed the black stuff on a rubber bathtub plug and the grout getting lighter with ClO2 in the water. I can explain how to make ClO2 if you're interested. You need to start with NaClO2 (sodium chlorit
e), which I think should be available as a swimming pool supply.