Originally Posted by meowee
I'm going to go against the grain and tell you to listen to your midwife... yes, going postdates can be safe but it does carry risks. I doubt she is asking you to go in just because she feels like being there, KWIM? Something within you chose this midwife over a UC and I think you should trust her at this emotionally tense time.
I'm so sorry you're stressed
I just need to respond to this before sharing the plan DH and I came up with.
I think she is asking me to go in for her convenience ~ she told me months ago that I'm her last client before she takes a long working vacation. She's attending a course sometime in the middle of the month and I'm keeping her from starting her break early. None of us really expected me to go this late. The reason she gave me is that the fluid levels are a "little low" and according to u/s I'm approaching the 42 week mark (according to conception I'm only going to be 41 weeks tomorrow)
Also, I didn't really "choose" her. Our healthcare system is in a bit of a crisis, and while everyone has access to care here, you don't often get to choose who cares for you. I am lucky to live in a province where midwifery services are covered, but unfortunately, there is only one midwife covering the area: mine. My options were to go back to the practice of Dr's who poorly handled my last pregnancy and birth, or go with this midwife. I thought I was doing everything I could to avoid a replay of my last experience by going with a midwife, but it turns out the only difference in my case is that appts last longer, and there was the option of a homebirth, which she's no longer willing to attend.
Ok, here's what we've decided:
We will keep our appt at the hospital tomorrow for a NST and we will meet with the OB as planned, and will listen to why m/w thinks we should induce, but we aren't going there with the intention of inducing. Unless she can give us a good reason, we won't do it. I am going to suggest we keep doing NSTs regularly, but at the hospital in our town. Driving an hour away every couple days is not convenient and expensive.
If I go into labour on my own in the next few days, then we will go to the local hospital and NOT call m/w, and I'm going to ask the hospital staff not to contact her either. I checked tonight, and the Dr on call this weekend is one of the better ones.
If I don't go into labour in the next few days, well, then we'll reconsider our stance on induction. Of course the baby's safety is our #1 concern, so we're not going to rule it out just to make a point. If it does come down to induction, I'm going to have to find a way (or find the nerve) to make sure my m/w isn't attending me. She's completely broken my trust in her and I don't think I can do it with her there, kwim?
Anyway, I just want to thank you ladies for your support. It has really helped. Reading your thoughts has helped me clear my head a lot ~ I was feeling so overwhelmed this afternoon and like I didn't have a choice, and I feel a hundred times better.