or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Help! Bucket seats have invaded Denmark!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help! Bucket seats have invaded Denmark! - Page 2

post #21 of 120
I honestly loved the bucket, especially with dd. She did not sleep well, and waking her up once she was asleep was something I'd avoid at all costs (I don't like to wake sleeping babies, anyway - but especially dd). I tried transferring her to a carrier a few times, and she screamed for ages. Moving the bucket was no problem and she didn't wake up...easier for her, and only a little more difficult for me.

My biggest problem with the bucket was that it had a clip for a shopping cart, and it was almost impossible to unclip it when we were done shopping.
post #22 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
In theory, sure. Unless you are following these people around, there is no way to know that and no reason to assume.
Ummmm...why else would you be carrying it around then? If you wanted to get your child out of it, they wouldn't be in it in public in the first place.

Basically, it's buckle them into the bucket, snap it into the car, unsnap it to take them into the mall/whatever, snap it back in when you get back to the car, snap it out to take them into the house. If you see someone with a child in there it's not a far reach to understand the kid pretty much stays in there....or else the parents would be carrying them. I mean isn't that what they're used for?

I hate them with a passion.

I've been at MANY gyms/open play/jr. bounce houses and seen these things lined up against the wall completely ignored...full of babies. It's not a fluke or a one-time thing.(I understand not EVERYONE abuses them like this...at least the people on MDC....but the majority DO.)

Also, is no one else aware of the cultural implications that the OP is mentioning?!?!? If we'd been used to seeing regular strollers, babies being carried and slings all over the place all the time and that was the norm, we'd be pretty pissed about these "transitional" hunks of plastic too!!!!!!
post #23 of 120
I think that, like most baby gear, carseat carriers can be misused. I don't particularly think that they're misused more than any other type of gear.

A couple of positive things about carseat carriers: Like someone else mentioned, they're actually much much safer as carseats for infants than the larger convertible seats. And further, I don't think that this has been mentioned yet, but when you're using a stroller for an infant, the carseat carrier enables you to interact with them much more directly by lifting them up higher toward you and turning them to face you. It actually makes me a little sad that my DD has outgrown the carrier, because now when I'm strolling her I can't see her face and interact with her like I used to. Even with her in the sling or the front-carrier, we had physical closeness, which was nice, but I still couldn't see her face.
post #24 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
If you see someone with a child in there it's not a far reach to understand the kid pretty much stays in there....or else the parents would be carrying them. I mean isn't that what they're used for?
Sure - by some people. Do you think without the bucket, they'd suddenly be devoting all their time and attention to the baby? My mom knew people who ignored their kids and propped bottles and what have you when she was a kid...in the 40s.

Quote:
I hate them with a passion.

I've been at MANY gyms/open play/jr. bounce houses and seen these things lined up against the wall completely ignored...full of babies. It's not a fluke or a one-time thing.(I understand not EVERYONE abuses them like this...at least the people on MDC....but the majority DO.)!
Why hate the seat, just because some people misuse them? I've known plenty of people who used buckets, and they weren't lining their kids up against gym walls or bounce houses. Of course, you probably wouldn't see those buckets, precisely because they're not being misused.

I suspect that c-sections contribute to the use of buckets, too. I know that I could put a bucket in a shopping cart and pick up some groceries long before I was physically up to carrying my baby around the mall in a sling or other carrier.
post #25 of 120
I love the infant carseat. It's very handy. I don't neglect my kids. The two things do not go hand in hand.
post #26 of 120
Well I'm pretty sure DH was grateful for our bucket. DS never went to sleep for him unless he was cocooned in the thing

I think that maybe the OP should look at the safety standards of the bucket style seats before she starts lobbying against them. Yes, they make it easier to carry the baby around, but the parents who would leave the baby in it all day would have found another way to do it without the buckets.
post #27 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post
Well I'm pretty sure DH was grateful for our bucket. DS never went to sleep for him unless he was cocooned in the thing

I think that maybe the OP should look at the safety standards of the bucket style seats before she starts lobbying against them. Yes, they make it easier to carry the baby around, but the parents who would leave the baby in it all day would have found another way to do it without the buckets.
Exactly, and maybe they would find a much less safe place to leave the baby.
post #28 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post
Well I'm pretty sure DH was grateful for our bucket. DS never went to sleep for him unless he was cocooned in the thing

I think that maybe the OP should look at the safety standards of the bucket style seats before she starts lobbying against them. Yes, they make it easier to carry the baby around, but the parents who would leave the baby in it all day would have found another way to do it without the buckets.

But the thing is, that in Denmark bucket-type carseats have been used for years. In the car, where they belong. What's new is snapping them on to a set of wheels and using them as strollers. People here use huge lay down type strollers, like a crib on wheels. This way the baby can lay down and rest. And almost everyone uses slings or at least babybjorn-style carriers a lot. So that is the alternatives to the bucket seats. IMO they are a lot better for the baby and just as safe, outside of the car.
post #29 of 120
I still don't understand what the OP could lobby against. I am in germany and see lots of germans using the buckets, the big strollers, the slings, and the carriers. I don't understand what the issue is, honestly.
post #30 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
Ummmm...why else would you be carrying it around then? If you wanted to get your child out of it, they wouldn't be in it in public in the first place.
1. To keep the baby warmer while outside

2. To allow the baby to sleep instead of being jostled awake.

This does not mean that once you are INSIDE or the baby WAKES UP that you don't pick a baby, who wants to be picked up, up and take her out of the seat. I often did this.

Many, many pp's have explained this.

UMMM, what don't you understand about that.
post #31 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I suspect that c-sections contribute to the use of buckets, too. I know that I could put a bucket in a shopping cart and pick up some groceries long before I was physically up to carrying my baby around the mall in a sling or other carrier.

Doubt it. I was absolutely not ablet to pick up my baby in her bucket carseat after my c-section, even for the time necessary to stap it into the stroller. Simply too heavy. I could carry her though.
post #32 of 120
When I travelled across Asia and India, there were no bucket seats.

Babies were HELD in LAPS in cars, and balanced on laps on scooters.

Yeah, way more interactive :

I condone the lesser of the evils..you know, safety over death?

I still fail to see the issue here. Neglectful parenting will not start or end with bucket seats. We had one. We also used a sling. We also used a stroller. We walked baby around in-arms. We coslept instead of cribs.

So......hmm...
post #33 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post
I still don't understand what the OP could lobby against.
There is nothing on this planet that someone around here couldn't find some reason to rail against in the name of AP.
post #34 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya44 View Post
Doubt it. I was absolutely not ablet to pick up my baby in her bucket carseat after my c-section, even for the time necessary to stap it into the stroller. Simply too heavy. I could carry her though.
That's interesting...just more proof (like I needed it) that sections are all different. I found a brief spurt of exertion to be much, much easier than extended carrying.

I've never had one of the bucket/stroller combos, though.
post #35 of 120
The title of this thread makes me mentally picture an unrelenting army of carseats marching into Copenhagen.
post #36 of 120
post #37 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya44 View Post
Doubt it. I was absolutely not ablet to pick up my baby in her bucket carseat after my c-section, even for the time necessary to stap it into the stroller. Simply too heavy. I could carry her though.
Yeah, the nurses told me that I was NOT supposed to pick up baby in carseat for 6 weeks. Baby wieghed nearly 9 lbs, tohugh, so that't why they told me that.

If I had someone else goign into a sotre with me, they'd carry the carseat for me, and I'd do whatever I was there to do. Otherwise, I used a stroller (I didn't have a seat that woudl clip on, iunfortunately) or carried baby in arms.


I loved the infant carseat. After 6 weeks, i used it in church, or anywhre I went where Rachel might need to sleep. She didn't spend all that much time in it, though, she liked to be otu exploring. She liekd it to sleep in when we were out.

They are also great for feeding baby in, (soldid food, not taking nursing or bottles here).

I would've gotten more use of it if I hadn't had a c-section though.

I did see them lined up at toddler gym stuff, but no babies in there unless baby was sleeping, or mom was right beside him just getting older toddler readsy to go play.
post #38 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
Basically, it's buckle them into the bucket, snap it into the car, unsnap it to take them into the mall/whatever, snap it back in when you get back to the car, snap it out to take them into the house. If you see someone with a child in there it's not a far reach to understand the kid pretty much stays in there....or else the parents would be carrying them. I mean isn't that what they're used for?
That, of course, defeats the "keep them warm" purpose.

If you leave the bucket in the car, then you have to take your unbundled baby into the shop with you, and the bucket is busy getting icy cold in your icy cold car, and you have to put baby back into the freezing seat in the freezing car and tuck cold air around them.

Entirely and completely defeats one of the major arguments *for* the seats.


As for the cultural argument, in many European countries (I can't speak to Denmark specifically) it was traditional for a very long time to push your child to the high street in a big pram - and then leave the child unattended in the pram outside the store while you did the shopping. Not all traditions are things that shouldn't be improved on....
post #39 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
That, of course, defeats the "keep them warm" purpose.

If you leave the bucket in the car, then you have to take your unbundled baby into the shop with you, and the bucket is busy getting icy cold in your icy cold car, and you have to put baby back into the freezing seat in the freezing car and tuck cold air around them.

Entirely and completely defeats one of the major arguments *for* the seats.


As for the cultural argument, in many European countries (I can't speak to Denmark specifically) it was traditional for a very long time to push your child to the high street in a big pram - and then leave the child unattended in the pram outside the store while you did the shopping. Not all traditions are things that shouldn't be improved on....
I think a lot of people have travel systems. Baby is bundled up in bucket, snap it into stroller, go into store. If baby wakes up needs to be fed, wants to be held... take baby out in warm store, bucket stays warm. Bundle them back up while inside, go outside.

Baby warm. Baby happy.
post #40 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I suspect that c-sections contribute to the use of buckets, too. I know that I could put a bucket in a shopping cart and pick up some groceries long before I was physically up to carrying my baby around the mall in a sling or other carrier.
Not to mention some babies HATE being worn. My son couldn't stand it, I tried the moby, I tried the peanut shell, different positions, he'd SCREAM! He now tolerates the playtex hip sling for short spurts of time. He's a 30 lb one year old and thank heavens he walks.. :
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Help! Bucket seats have invaded Denmark!