or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Babywearing › Ring sling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ring sling

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I just use a home made ring sling, that was used for my son and now used for my daughter. I also have two home made mei ties, but I dont use them. Though my husband does on occasion.

Ive seen a lot of posts that talk about these fancy slings, but who here just likes and prefers the good ole ring sling?

:]
post #2 of 26
Well, I'd go absolutely bonkers without my mei tai and my wrap (or at least ONE of them!), but I do loooooove my DIY ring sling too. It's what we use first thing in the morning when I'm just puttering around getting ready for the day, and what we use in restaurants, and really any shorter time. I gotta say I didn't find the ring sling love until Naked Baby was about 3mo, though, when we could do a good T2T or hip carry.
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Ah I love the mei tie too! But it takes a while for me to put it on, when I can just sort of "toss" on the ring sling haha. But I agree with you, It wasnt true love until I was able to do the hip carry ^_~

So why do you call your baby Naked Baby? I think thats cute =]
post #4 of 26
'Cause for the first few months of his life, he was more or less naked. And now that it's cold (well, cold for the Pacific Northwest ) and he's mobile, he wears everything BUT a diaper - and with babylegs, sometimes everything but something on his butt. Ah, getting mooned by a butt naked boy baby as he crawls away to play, that's an image you won't soon forget...

Anyway, it's mostly a reference to the fact that we do Elimination Communication, and have a frequently naked baby therefore. Plus, y'know, it's cute.
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
thats so awesome. my baby girl is always naked too. Not for EC though I am thinking we should just do that :P but because she had really bad yeast infections so we just keep her nakie all the time :]
post #6 of 26
It's not too late to start! And it could definitely help with the yeast infections. Naked Baby didn't get a diaper rash until he got a diarrheal virus around 6mo - and then he was better within a couple days, while still pooping 6+ times a day, because none of them were in a diaper. (Not that EC is necessarily a cure-all - but what could it hurt, eh?)
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
where could I learn more about it? :] ive heard about it and it seems really neat!
post #8 of 26
There's MDC's own Elimination Communication forum, and the support group (a la LLL) Diaper Free Baby - those are good places to start, and I have to get my own Naked Baby to bed so it's all I have time for.
post #9 of 26
Once my kids were old enough to do a good hip carry, I always loved the ring sling, especially as they get older and want to look around a lot.. I find it much better than a pouch for a hip carry - the adjustability is key. No matter what I or the babe is wearing, we can get a snug fit.
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
There's MDC's own Elimination Communication forum, and the support group (a la LLL) Diaper Free Baby - those are good places to start, and I have to get my own Naked Baby to bed so it's all I have time for.
def. going to take a look at those!
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
Once my kids were old enough to do a good hip carry, I always loved the ring sling, especially as they get older and want to look around a lot.. I find it much better than a pouch for a hip carry - the adjustability is key. No matter what I or the babe is wearing, we can get a snug fit.
That is what I LOVE about it! just throw it on, tighten and ur off! No ties involved
post #12 of 26
I LOVE my ring sling. (It's bought, but still nice) I first put DS in it to go to the doctors at 2 days old, and it's still his favourite way to go to sleep. I have to say that I'm glad I bought it (It's a Maya Wrap LLightly Padded) and I can't wait til tomorrow! I'm getting my Babyhawk!
post #13 of 26
I bought a maya wrap of a mama here & honestly, I STILL can't get the hang of it. I have a baby on the way & would like to give it a shot...it just eludes me...
post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I LOVE my ring sling. (It's bought, but still nice) I first put DS in it to go to the doctors at 2 days old, and it's still his favourite way to go to sleep. I have to say that I'm glad I bought it (It's a Maya Wrap LLightly Padded) and I can't wait til tomorrow! I'm getting my Babyhawk!
Thats awesome I used to get comps. when people saw Molly sleeping in there. They used to say how safe and happy she seemed
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I bought a maya wrap of a mama here & honestly, I STILL can't get the hang of it. I have a baby on the way & would like to give it a shot...it just eludes me...
Well I usually put the ringed side over my right shoulder and have the pocket on my left shoulder. Try and work with a baby doll, (a baby sized one) and sit them in the pocket. The butt needs to be below the knees. Pull the "seat" of the sling where the baby sits, to the knees, and the pull the "back" up around the baby for support. Pull the excess fabric coming from the rings and you are set.

http://www.mayawrap.com/u_maya_wrap_101.php <--- I hope this helps!
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by momwifenurse View Post
Well I usually put the ringed side over my right shoulder and have the pocket on my left shoulder. Try and work with a baby doll, (a baby sized one) and sit them in the pocket. The butt needs to be below the knees. Pull the "seat" of the sling where the baby sits, to the knees, and the pull the "back" up around the baby for support. Pull the excess fabric coming from the rings and you are set.

http://www.mayawrap.com/u_maya_wrap_101.php <--- I hope this helps!
Thanks! Will have to check that out!
post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
:]
post #18 of 26
Well, I do love my ring slings though they ARE "fancy pants"...P-slings to be precise... :
But I do have a Maya and just bought my sister a Wise Woman and both are really nice.

I didnt start w/ them...I started w/ back carries and only got into ring slings once ds was 5 months and they were comfortable for a hip carry...But they DO rock and at times im seriously torn between back carry or hip carry...
post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
I love the hip carry myself, im too paranoid when I get to back carry hahaha
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by momwifenurse View Post
I love the hip carry myself, im too paranoid when I get to back carry hahaha
really! Wow..dont be...its very easy and safe once you know what your doing.
Im actually the opposite of most new moms becos INSTEAD of starting w/ a front cradle carry I kinda skipped it (cept for 2-3 weeks of a UBW) and moved right onto back carries in an Onbuhimo.

But I do give mad props to ring slings...I used to think they were silly-esp when someone could do a back carry...BUT, ive changed my opinion and REALLY like a snuggly hip carry-thou I do move him to my back occasionally during a long walk. I still back carry though but its pretty evenly split.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Babywearing
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Babywearing › Ring sling