or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Stay at Home Parents › Income Poll
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Income Poll - Page 5

Poll Results: What is your annual household income?

 
  • 5% (30)
    Less than $20,000
  • 8% (44)
    $20,000 to $29,000
  • 12% (64)
    $30,000 to $39,000
  • 10% (53)
    $40,000 to $49,000
  • 12% (62)
    $50,000 to $59,000
  • 12% (61)
    $60,000 to $69,000
  • 7% (37)
    $70,000 to $79,000
  • 5% (28)
    $80,000 to $89,000
  • 4% (24)
    $90,000 to $99,000
  • 20% (101)
    $100,000 or more
504 Total Votes  
post #81 of 200
About $55,000 a year with health and dental coverage. No student loans and a pretty small amount of debt(1 car payment only one year left and one CC). We do budgets to make sure everyone gets what they need(food, clothes, etc) and wants(ballet lessons, soccer gear, occasional man toy, etc).
post #82 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
So I have to ask, everyone who posted saying their household income is over $100K also pointed out that they are struggling in some way, or don't have new things, or aren't extravagant. What is wrong with making a good income? Why do you guys sound almost guilty about having money??
In the same way that you look at my family's income as outrageous, I look at hosing and taxes in lower income areas. We spend 40% of our take home pay on our mortgage. We don't live in an extravagant home- its a normal sized townhome.
post #83 of 200
I voted in the $30,000 to $39,000 range. That's before taxes, and DH is self employed so taxes are high, and we have no benefits.

We have no credit card debt or car loans. Just the mortgage which is about 30% of our income.

Our income pays basic bills and buys gas and groceries, and ideally we have 10% to put toward savings but more often that 10% isn't there because we don't have the savings built up yet, so whenever there's an unexpected cost (car repair or replacement, trip to emergency room, AC repair, etc) we end up with nothing left to put away.

We did manage to buy tickets to fly to two weddings later this month (yeah, we'll have paid for the tickets by the end of the year anyway), so I'm feeling pretty affluent about that, but the missed work days this month (five missed days when we count Thanksgiving) means we'll have only 75% of our monthly income so we're being super frugal right now, and planning on spending $20 per family member Christmas presents

Oh yeah, and the happy couples whose weddings we're going to won't be getting wedding presents (at least not purchased ones). They'd better just appreciate our presence!! :
post #84 of 200
About the 'affluent people' . . .

Obviously everyone's history and lifestyle is different, but I wanted to say that we are working hard and intending to become affluent. We've been working on that for a while, and aren't necessarily any closer, but still planning on it (by god) and plan to feel that it is well-earned

I think the problem with the 'worked hard to get here' line is just that lots of people work hard without knowing how to work the system to win, and it doesn't get them rich. But that doesn't make any less of the accomplishment of someone who works hard and does figure out how to reap the cash rewards! That's an accomplishment and I wish it on more deserving people!

I sometimes think that I could have twice as much money without changing my lifestyle and just funnel all that extra cash into investment, pay off house, get some freakin health insurance, charity, etc. Then I remember my wishlist of irresistible material items and realize that I'm dreaming:

organic mattresses/bedding
all organic foods
quality pair of leather sandals that will last longer than the $20 variety
hybrid or other alternative car
etc
post #85 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBird View Post
In the same way that you look at my family's income as outrageous,
Not sure what you are talking about? I never said I thought an income of 100K was outrageous, I wondered why people seemed to feel the need to "justify" that they make that much money. I live in eastern MA so I am all over the high cost of living.
post #86 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingmommy View Post
I voted at 100k because we don't pay for our health insurance and dh gets bonuses and his employer contributes to his 401k every year ...if you add all of that with his salary it is around 100k ....and I agree it doesn't go as far as I would like but we are comfortable
True true! If I added dh work vehicle, gas card, 401K, health insurance, and all the other stuff dh makes more than 100,000. I sure wish he was taxed for that though! His taxes says 75000
post #87 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookesmommy View Post
True true! If I added dh work vehicle, gas card, 401K, health insurance, and all the other stuff dh makes more than 100,000. I sure wish he was taxed for that though! His taxes says 75000
You want to pay more taxes??
post #88 of 200
?
post #89 of 200
?
post #90 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's Mom View Post
I voted over 100k but we both work and guess what? we still rent! Our student loans combined are over 100k --- plus we don't live in an inexpensive state....its all realitive.

Perhaps a better question would have been, what is your net worth --- for us its negative!
Mine is not a negative at all. If you add my home value (what someone would buy it for today, not what I think its worth) plus my retirment acct, plus my investments, plus other things then subtract my mortgage we are about 600K today.

Redwine- I doubt if I had 50M in the bank all my problems would disapear and make me more happy. And I am sure they were great people but I dont want them as neighbors still!

I guess I have had some experiences in my life to realize - money cannot solve all problems and its dosent buy happiness.
post #91 of 200
?
post #92 of 200
?
post #93 of 200
We are close to 6 figures BUT, to those who think we must drop money on extravagant things without thinking... with 6 kids (3 are teenagers, 1 is in college, with no financial aid due to income, etc) and we are living in a Northern Virginia suburb? I have to watch my spending and I don't think anything expensive and frivolous has walked through my door lately unless you count the kids (Believe me, I know that 6 kids is a luxury and a privilege!) We own our home and three cars, two of which are paid for. Our house is about the minimum size I'd ever try and live in with 6 kids, we have to take two cars (twice the gas) if all 8 of us want to go somewhere, we did not take a vacation last year, and we have to pick and choose now, which activities our children can participate in. My favorite hobby is scouring the resale and thrift shops for the beautiful things I want my children to wear. Things were cheaper when they were younger (and there were fewer of them) so even when our family's income was much less, things weren't this tight.
post #94 of 200
We are solidly in the 100K category and I would describe us as affluent (which is a word I hate only because typing it out makes me think of effluence which is gross.)

We are lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky!!!!!! We did nothing to deserve it and are enjoying the hell out of it. It allows me to stay home and dh to have a career that starts out slow and takes a looooong time to get going. We also do try to spread it around as much as possible. We give a lot to charity (a very big deal in both mine and dh's family) and we help out friends as needed and try to treat people to little luxuries they might not otherwise be able to afford (dinner out, concert tickets, gift certificates etc.)

Our money does go much, much farther in Vermont than it would in Orange County or Westchester or Manhattan. It's one of the reasons we live here.

I have noticed that spending grows with income. It's like helium in a balloon. It fills the space it has, and almost everyone I know who has a bump in income eventually winds up having the same money problems they had in the previous income bracket. My point being that whether you make 20K or 120K, if the third week of the month rolls around and you are out of money because your bills were high and something unexpected happened, it terriying either way.

We have travelled a lot, and poor in the states IS very different from poor in other countries. But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Again, I'm rambling. We are lucky and we know it and we are grateful and we say that every single day.
post #95 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

Redwine- I doubt if I had 50M in the bank all my problems would disapear and make me more happy. And I am sure they were great people but I dont want them as neighbors still!
I'm sure all problems wouldn't disappear -- but I'm curious. Why wouldn't you want them as neighbors? One of them was a self-made billionaire, and gives tons of money away each year. The awards ceremony was about recognizing people who help/give money to those who need help badly, all over the world. They were a bunch of very nice, very un-pretentious philanthropists who are honestly trying to help those less fortunate them themselves.

To me, saying you wouldn't want the rich as neighbors is just as bad as saying you wouldn't want the poor as neighbors.

Money does not make one a good or bad individual.
post #96 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine View Post
I'm sure all problems wouldn't disappear -- but I'm curious. Why wouldn't you want them as neighbors? One of them was a self-made billionaire, and gives tons of money away each year. The awards ceremony was about recognizing people who help/give money to those who need help badly, all over the world. They were a bunch of very nice, very un-pretentious philanthropists who are honestly trying to help those less fortunate them themselves.

To me, saying you wouldn't want the rich as neighbors is just as bad as saying you wouldn't want the poor as neighbors.

Money does not make one a good or bad individual.
thank you, I totally agree
post #97 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonttaylors View Post
I have noticed that spending grows with income. It's like helium in a balloon. It fills the space it has, and almost everyone I know who has a bump in income eventually winds up having the same money problems they had in the previous income bracket. My point being that whether you make 20K or 120K, if the third week of the month rolls around and you are out of money because your bills were high and something unexpected happened, it terriying either way.
.
ITA!
post #98 of 200
: at this entire thread. 100k doesn't go as far as people think??? Give me a break. 100k goes VERY far people, regardless of where you live. You are rich, and if you think otherwise, well, boo hoo for you.

Enough is abundance to the wise.

I am rich too and our annual family income before taxes (in Canada) is in the 20-29k range.

I bet I could come into any one of your houses and point out a gazillion things that you have (in your "comfortable" existence) that are luxuries that you really don't need.

I have no issue with people making lots of money, I have an issue with people pretending that 100k doesn't go far. Look around you. Sheesh.
post #99 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by abac View Post
: at this entire thread. 100k doesn't go as far as people think??? Give me a break. 100k goes VERY far people, regardless of where you live. You are rich, and if you think otherwise, well, boo hoo for you.

Enough is abundance to the wise.

I am rich too and our annual family income before taxes (in Canada) is in the 20-29k range.

I bet I could come into any one of your houses and point out a gazillion things that you have (in your "comfortable" existence) that are luxuries that you really don't need.

I have no issue with people making lots of money, I have an issue with people pretending that 100k doesn't go far. Look around you. Sheesh.
Don't pretend like there isn't a difference in where each person lives, there is. In mississippi you can buy a home with 3 acres of land for $130,000 go across to colorado and you can get the same house but with a tiny lot for $210,000. A person making $100,000 but with the same amount in student loans or debt plus mortgage isn't going to survive the same as a person with the same income but less bills. Everyone puts value on different things, and shouldn't be put down for that. Or maybe it's just different ion Canada.
post #100 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by abac View Post
: at this entire thread. 100k doesn't go as far as people think??? Give me a break. 100k goes VERY far people, regardless of where you live. You are rich, and if you think otherwise, well, boo hoo for you.

Enough is abundance to the wise.

I am rich too and our annual family income before taxes (in Canada) is in the 20-29k range.

I bet I could come into any one of your houses and point out a gazillion things that you have (in your "comfortable" existence) that are luxuries that you really don't need.

I have no issue with people making lots of money, I have an issue with people pretending that 100k doesn't go far. Look around you. Sheesh.
People are pointing out that just because they make 100K does not mean they are driving new Jaguars or wearing Chanel - everyone has said they are comfortable. Read more carefully, sheesh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Stay at Home Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Stay at Home Parents › Income Poll