or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Homebirth › Anyone get United Healthcare to cover homebirth?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone get United Healthcare to cover homebirth?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Has anyone had experience with getting United Health Care to cover the cost of their homebirth?
post #2 of 25
I did! My midwife filled out the claim info she had (a generic sheet), we sent it off, and they sent me a check, no questions asked. My plan is for 70% since it's out of network, after deductible.
post #3 of 25
yep.

-Angela
post #4 of 25
nak... Yep, one filed by MW, and waiting for news on the second!
post #5 of 25
Yes WE ARE!!!

My midwife said that they were one of the "better ones".

I'm STOKED!!!
70% for out of network, 90% in network... we are getting a special "in network" price, even tho my midwife is out of network, for the sheer reason that there is not another midwife with her designation within 30 miles of our home.
It took a little more arguing with them about details of mileage to get it, but YAY! 90%!!! GO United Healthcare!!!
post #6 of 25
yep, they covered mine at the 'out of network' rate too.

yay for united healthcare!
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post
I did! My midwife filled out the claim info she had (a generic sheet), we sent it off, and they sent me a check, no questions asked. My plan is for 70% since it's out of network, after deductible.
Ditto!
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
Yes WE ARE!!!

My midwife said that they were one of the "better ones".

I'm STOKED!!!
70% for out of network, 90% in network... we are getting a special "in network" price, even tho my midwife is out of network, for the sheer reason that there is not another midwife with her designation within 30 miles of our home.
It took a little more arguing with them about details of mileage to get it, but YAY! 90%!!! GO United Healthcare!!!
Just to make sure I'm understanding this right...when you say "designation", are you talking about DEM vs. CNM or just midwives in general. I'm hoping this will work because we are going to TTC next year and DH's job just switched to UHC. It would be so awesome to get this one paid for!!!
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 

Another question

Okay, I'm getting really excited, but for those of you who had success, did you have a DEM or a CNM? My only option in Ohio is a DEM, and UHC doesn't have any DEMs listed as providers on their website. Are they just considered out of network?
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracesMama View Post
Okay, I'm getting really excited, but for those of you who had success, did you have a DEM or a CNM? My only option in Ohio is a DEM, and UHC doesn't have any DEMs listed as providers on their website. Are they just considered out of network?
In TX non-CNMs can be licensed midwives. There are no Licensed midwives listed in network.

They paid for my licensed midwife without a problem (well they refused it the first 3 times - but don't they always? )

-Angela
post #11 of 25
Yeah UHC does cover for homebirth, just make sure that your midwife bills globally.
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 

more questions

What does that mean "bills globally"? In Ohio it's alegal to be a DEM delivering babies at home. Will that be a problem?
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracesMama View Post
What does that mean "bills globally"? In Ohio it's alegal to be a DEM delivering babies at home. Will that be a problem?
Possibly/probably hard to say.

-Angela
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
Just to make sure I'm understanding this right...when you say "designation", are you talking about DEM vs. CNM or just midwives in general. I'm hoping this will work because we are going to TTC next year and DH's job just switched to UHC. It would be so awesome to get this one paid for!!!
Oh, I made the assumption that it was DEM vs. CNM... dh was the one that passed along the info to me, so for that, I'm not really sure!
post #15 of 25
I'm really wanting a homebirth for my next hypothetical child and we have UHC. I did call them and of course they said they don't cover homebirth. There is a highly recommended CNM that does homebirth around here...would she just send in a claim form and billing globally? Or does it depend on the state? I put a post in the "Finding Your Tribe Area," but so far no nibbles yet.
post #16 of 25
We have UHC PPO and they said they would cover our homebirth just fine.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
I'm really wanting a homebirth for my next hypothetical child and we have UHC. I did call them and of course they said they don't cover homebirth. There is a highly recommended CNM that does homebirth around here...would she just send in a claim form and billing globally? Or does it depend on the state? I put a post in the "Finding Your Tribe Area," but so far no nibbles yet.
Don't ask them about homebirth - ask about midwives. They don't care where you birth, it's the provider that is billing and that they pay (or reimburse for).
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
Yes WE ARE!!!

My midwife said that they were one of the "better ones".

I'm STOKED!!!
70% for out of network, 90% in network... we are getting a special "in network" price, even tho my midwife is out of network, for the sheer reason that there is not another midwife with her designation within 30 miles of our home.
It took a little more arguing with them about details of mileage to get it, but YAY! 90%!!! GO United Healthcare!!!
Oooooo....good to know!! Thanks for the info. I was so excited to find out they pay for midwives/HBs (the lady at UHC was laughing at me for being so psyched when I called to ask)...this extra tidbit is totally icing on the cake!
post #19 of 25
Yep, they also covered 70% for us but we had a good sized deductible before that. But it was still some good coverage. I also agree - don't ask about the homebirth aspect. If your MW is good w/ billing or uses someone who is, they can help out with that.
post #20 of 25
I just called this week to see if we could get coverage. My midwife said to say I wanted a gap exception so they will cover her at in network costs. They took all the info and said okay...somehow I don't think it will be that easy but I sure hope so.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Homebirth
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Homebirth › Anyone get United Healthcare to cover homebirth?