or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › "The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List" - Page 2

post #21 of 51

Thanks for sharing!

I went to public school and skipped prom.
I don't think it made anyone's life dramatically better if they went to prom.
post #22 of 51
I went to public school and never attended a prom. Oh how my life has been dramatically altered by this. How I possibly get up in the morning and go on I will never know.
post #23 of 51

have a few questions for homeschoolers?

Edited at mod request.
post #24 of 51
i saw this in another thread too. i love all of them!!!!!

9. Stop assuming that if we're religious, we must be homeschooling for religious reasons.

that one is SO true for me!!!! i'm sick to death of that assumption.
post #25 of 51
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm going to print it off and start giving it out to a few people I know (*cough*inlaws*cough*).
post #26 of 51
Oooh! I love it!
Im going to print this out and carry it around with me!
post #27 of 51
Forecful and even a bit rude but i still enjoyed reading it. I might tame it down a bit and use it.
post #28 of 51
post #29 of 51
Could a person put this on a blog or is that a no no somehow? Maybe I'll just share the link....
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Could a person put this on a blog or is that a no no somehow? Maybe I'll just share the link....
I think you could post it in a blog as long as you link back to the original source and credit it. That way it doesn't look as though you're trying to take credit for writing it but you can still share it with your readers.
post #31 of 51
post #32 of 51
I love that list! Thanks for posting it.
post #33 of 51
I went to my ps prom. Very over-rated.

That said, in our town (and other places I know of) the hs teenagers *do* have a prom! They've done it for years. The government doesn't own the concept of a "prom". If you really think proms are such great things, well go for it. Make it happen. It's the ps mentality that you have to wait for some official authority to provide it for you, you certainly can't make something like that happen yourself.
post #34 of 51
I am just dying to send it to my SIL who has her master's in teaching, but I know that she'll have that sent half way around the state with some nasty misspelled comments added to it.
post #35 of 51
I especially like the part where the writer distinguishes "socialize" from "socialization!"

Oh, and also the part where s/he says, we didn't make this decision to annoy you!
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I am just dying to send it to my SIL who has her master's in teaching, but I know that she'll have that sent half way around the state with some nasty misspelled comments added to it.


And I even like the part about how we laugh at the public school families for having to go places on weekends and holidays "when it's crowded and icky." But it was a little below the belt.
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
The government doesn't own the concept of a "prom". If you really think proms are such great things, well go for it. Make it happen. It's the ps mentality that you have to wait for some official authority to provide it for you, you certainly can't make something like that happen yourself.
(bolding mine) So true!
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i saw this in another thread too. i love all of them!!!!!

9. Stop assuming that if we're religious, we must be homeschooling for religious reasons.

that one is SO true for me!!!! i'm sick to death of that assumption.
This one drives me crazy, too.

And it's hardest among other homeschoolers who DO it for religious reasons, the ones I know IRL, b/c they only accept that your reasons are valid to homeschool "if you prayed about it" and got an "answer". As if just reading, thinking and making one's own mind up are not good enough. Arg.
post #39 of 51
I've merged all three threads that were about this list into one... obviously a popular article!

Dar
post #40 of 51
As a religious homeschooler....I LOVE THIS!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › "The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List"