or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › LEAD in Melissa and doug toys!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LEAD in Melissa and doug toys! - Page 6

post #101 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrissyy View Post
<SNIP>
second, blood lead levels fall NATURALLY. You could remove any random thing in your house, wait a while, and levels should fall. that's because blood levels only detect recent exposures, and as time passes, some is excreted, and some latches onto your organs to cause permanent damage, but either way it's not free-floating in the blood anymore."
This I know to be true. DS blood test came back at a safe level but his URINE test that followed a *chelating agent* showed his levels of mercury and lead to be through the roof as well as high arsenic levels. If the blood tests continue to show high levels, then the exposure is ongoing. So in that sense, the OPs story makes sense -- the blood levels didn't drop until the point of exposure was removed.

And on that note, does anyone else feel like moving to the most remote area you can find and holing up there forever?
post #102 of 122
this is so sad
post #103 of 122
i really don't trust that new HealthyToys website. As mentioned a lot on MDC, there are many different lots of toys that are made. Just by testing one toy (or even several different ones) does not mean that all of that toy that is produced is safe.

i prefer to not give dd any M&D and i took away the ones she already owned. I'm not going to take away the Haba toys that she already has, but I'm not going to buy anymore.
post #104 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
i really don't trust that new HealthyToys website.
So you don't trust this group to give accurate info?

http://www.EcoCenter.org/about/about.php

Who do you trust then? They are an independent environmental group that has been around for over 30 years that saw a need for testing toys and filled it. I really appreciate it and will be adding them to my list of charitable contributions.

They are the same people who did the expose on toxins in cars and car seats. Cool! Will definitely support them in their efforts to keep us informed.

http://www.EcoCenter.org/publication...blications.php
post #105 of 122
What I think is saddest is that this topic is just more fuel for the "Mommy Wars" fire. Now we have one more thing to judge other mothers for- the standards they hold for their kids toys. There's a new hierarchy of qualifications.

"I only allow my kids to have handcrafted, wooden toys made in the USA."

"I can't afford to replace their toys so we have to go on a case-by-case basis."

etc.

So now we (collectively) are judging each other based on which organizations we trust to test toys, what we can afford/are willing to replace, how we dispose of toys deemed not suitable....

I just feel like saying "Keep your hands in your own toy box!" I mean, but seriously. Everyone here loves their kids and is trying to do their best by them. We all have different comfort levels. We're arguing over toys that haven't even been proven dangerous. Let's allow each other the freedom to make our own choices without being snarky. We have bigger fish to fry, right? Like CIO or spanking, or a million other things that actually warrant judgement. No need to tear each other down over whether one wooden toy is safer than another.
post #106 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Bug View Post
What I think is saddest is that this topic is just more fuel for the "Mommy Wars" fire. Now we have one more thing to judge other mothers for- the standards they hold for their kids toys. There's a new hierarchy of qualifications.

"I only allow my kids to have handcrafted, wooden toys made in the USA."

"I can't afford to replace their toys so we have to go on a case-by-case basis."

etc.

So now we (collectively) are judging each other based on which organizations we trust to test toys, what we can afford/are willing to replace, how we dispose of toys deemed not suitable....

I just feel like saying "Keep your hands in your own toy box!" I mean, but seriously. Everyone here loves their kids and is trying to do their best by them. We all have different comfort levels. We're arguing over toys that haven't even been proven dangerous. Let's allow each other the freedom to make our own choices without being snarky. We have bigger fish to fry, right? Like CIO or spanking, or a million other things that actually warrant judgement. No need to tear each other down over whether one wooden toy is safer than another.
Well said!!!
post #107 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyErin View Post
And on that note, does anyone else feel like moving to the most remote area you can find and holing up there forever?
Well, since lead and arsenic and any number of toxins can occur naturally in soils, where in the world would you think that would be? I dunno, there might be a reason it's unpopulated.
post #108 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
i really don't trust that new HealthyToys website. As mentioned a lot on MDC, there are many different lots of toys that are made. Just by testing one toy (or even several different ones) does not mean that all of that toy that is produced is safe.

i prefer to not give dd any M&D and i took away the ones she already owned. I'm not going to take away the Haba toys that she already has, but I'm not going to buy anymore.
Understandable! I think they may mention this on the site, that there are many different factories, lots, etc and the testing doesnt mean your particular toy is safe or unsafe. Its a great start though to get people's eyes opened to all the junk that can be in toys. Arsenic in a teether??? I dont care how many ppms it is, its still unacceptable!!! I'm appalled!
post #109 of 122
I know there is some question as to the validity of the testing done on the healthytoys website and whether it is extensive enough but I wanted to point out that they have a system where by you can vote for toys that have been nominated for testing - they test the most voted for itesm. The M&D cutting food set is listed and is currently in the top 10. Would be great if lots of MDC mamas voted for it to at least get SOME outside, independent testing of M&D. I have always been suspicious of M&D due to the MIC and mass-production issues but as it is so affordable ad readily available we've been given a TON from family members.

To the OP and others who've been dealing with lead-injured children
post #110 of 122
For whatever its worth, I looked at some M&D toys in a store today. Three different products were made in Vietnam. Not all of their production is in China.

When healthytoys.org has more data (for example 10 or 100 toys tested from each company) it will be a very useful site.

There is no "controversy" about the accuracy of XRF testing - it is accurate and reports what elements are inside the item, down to a certain depth. Some of the companies with lead in the products are claiming that if the lead won't leach out, its not a problem -that is where the controversy is.
post #111 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
For whatever its worth, I looked at some M&D toys in a store today. Three different products were made in Vietnam. Not all of their production is in China.

When healthytoys.org has more data (for example 10 or 100 toys tested from each company) it will be a very useful site.

There is no "controversy" about the accuracy of XRF testing - it is accurate and reports what elements are inside the item, down to a certain depth. Some of the companies with lead in the products are claiming that if the lead won't leach out, its not a problem -that is where the controversy is.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The controvery I was referring to was not over whether XRF is accurate or not, ITA 100% that I don't care if it passes a leachability test or not I want NO LEAD in my kids stuff (see post under the laptop lunches discussion). Rather it's the issue you bring up in your post initially - more toys from each brand need to be tested. Still I think getting the cutting food set on their radar to test will be a good start, then more sets can be nominated/voted on to get the more representative sample to determine whether a problem exists.
post #112 of 122
I just want to cry!
(or scream....)
post #113 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswinger View Post
Well, since lead and arsenic and any number of toxins can occur naturally in soils, where in the world would you think that would be? I dunno, there might be a reason it's unpopulated.

I guess we're all just screwed.

In all seriousness, keeping your point in mind, it's more important than ever to cut out any unneccessary sources from our homes. And that, my friends, is becoming a frightful challenge!
post #114 of 122
Ladies,
Not to scare you. Because I know what it's like to be obsessive, in this world! But furniture, carpet, mattresses and carseats are treated with fire retardant and formaldehyde!!

I put a thick quilt on my couch as some sort of barrier. I have washed my carseat covers.... carpet, well, not much you can do. Maybe shampoo it? I have also gotten my son the cheapest organic mattress I could find, but it's not comfortable at all! So I have a memory foam topper on top, which defeats the whole purpose.! I wanted to get a natural foam bed, but now have learned that it has naturally occurring toxins and isn't recommended for children because it's a high allergen. So.... after the holidays, I'm going to make a millet topper and millet pillows with wool batting, myself, with my sewing machine. When I get my tax refund, I will buy a double size bed for my daughter and I, but will make a double size topper until then. This will be so CHEAP compared to buying something organic. We spend a huge chunk of our lives sleeping. So by having an organic bed, you can cut down your exposure. UGH.. I just picture my little ones, breathing right up against the mattress all night with nothing but a sheet and mattress pad in between. I'd rather cover the entire bed in PLASTIC. Maybe I am obsessive. Organic mattresses are expensive. I've spent so much time worried about my kids beds, I hate to pass it on, but maybe I should.
post #115 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLilStinkweed View Post
Ladies,


I put a thick quilt on my couch as some sort of barrier. I have washed my carseat covers.... carpet, well, not much you can do. Maybe shampoo it? I have also gotten my son the cheapest organic mattress I could find, but it's not comfortable at all! So I have a memory foam topper on top, which defeats the whole purpose.! I wanted to get a natural foam bed, but now have learned that it has naturally occurring toxins and isn't recommended for children because it's a high allergen. So.... after the holidays, I'm going to make a millet topper and millet pillows with wool batting, myself, with my sewing machine. When I get my tax refund, I will buy a double size bed for my daughter and I, but will make a double size topper until then. This will be so CHEAP compared to buying something organic. We spend a huge chunk of our lives sleeping. So by having an organic bed, you can cut down your exposure. UGH.. I just picture my little ones, breathing right up against the mattress all night with nothing but a sheet and mattress pad in between. I'd rather cover the entire bed in PLASTIC. Maybe I am obsessive. Organic mattresses are expensive. I've spent so much time worried about my kids beds, I hate to pass it on, but maybe I should.
My baby sleeps on an organic cotton crib/toddler size futon, no foam or latex or anything. It might not be the most comfortable according to western standards, but Japanese people have been sleeping on them for centuries and are fine.
I'm going to order a twin size one for my son soon.
post #116 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLilStinkweed View Post
Ladies,
Not to scare you. Because I know what it's like to be obsessive, in this world! But furniture, carpet, mattresses and carseats are treated with fire retardant and formaldehyde!!

I put a thick quilt on my couch as some sort of barrier. I have washed my carseat covers.... carpet, well, not much you can do. Maybe shampoo it? I have also gotten my son the cheapest organic mattress I could find, but it's not comfortable at all! So I have a memory foam topper on top, which defeats the whole purpose.! I wanted to get a natural foam bed, but now have learned that it has naturally occurring toxins and isn't recommended for children because it's a high allergen. So.... after the holidays, I'm going to make a millet topper and millet pillows with wool batting, myself, with my sewing machine. When I get my tax refund, I will buy a double size bed for my daughter and I, but will make a double size topper until then. This will be so CHEAP compared to buying something organic. We spend a huge chunk of our lives sleeping. So by having an organic bed, you can cut down your exposure. UGH.. I just picture my little ones, breathing right up against the mattress all night with nothing but a sheet and mattress pad in between. I'd rather cover the entire bed in PLASTIC. Maybe I am obsessive. Organic mattresses are expensive. I've spent so much time worried about my kids beds, I hate to pass it on, but maybe I should.
Did your child specify that they were uncomfortable on the organic mattress or do you assume it because it is uncomfortable to you? I only ask because most children's mattress are designed for little bodies and adults should find them uncomfortable.
post #117 of 122
Melissa, interesting. He never complained, it was uncomfortable for me! Thanks for getting me thinking. Hmmmm. And yes it is designed for a kid, but has no pillow top. Is very firm.

Rdhanuga, I went to a kids bday party. They were very crunchy all natural types and their 5 year old son slept on a futon mattress on the floor.
post #118 of 122
We have a simple "no toys made in China" rule in our house... I'm a fan of Haba (wooden only) & Selecta, and feel like Plan Toys are pretty safe and OK too. Holtzinger, Heros are also on my lists of OK toys... I feel much better about toys that are made in Europe where they have strict quality control and the workers aren't paid slave wages... For me not buying MIC as much as humanly possible is as much safety as it is ethics. I simply can't justify buying stuff that is essentially made with slave/sweat shop/child labor (which is what chinese goods are made with - 1-4 inspections, annouced 6 months in advance don't assure me of safety or ethical standars being up held).
post #119 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLilStinkweed View Post
Ladies,
Not to scare you. Because I know what it's like to be obsessive, in this world! But furniture, carpet, mattresses and carseats are treated with fire retardant and formaldehyde!!

I put a thick quilt on my couch as some sort of barrier. I have washed my carseat covers.... carpet, well, not much you can do. Maybe shampoo it? I have also gotten my son the cheapest organic mattress I could find, but it's not comfortable at all! So I have a memory foam topper on top, which defeats the whole purpose.! I wanted to get a natural foam bed, but now have learned that it has naturally occurring toxins and isn't recommended for children because it's a high allergen. So.... after the holidays, I'm going to make a millet topper and millet pillows with wool batting, myself, with my sewing machine. When I get my tax refund, I will buy a double size bed for my daughter and I, but will make a double size topper until then. This will be so CHEAP compared to buying something organic. We spend a huge chunk of our lives sleeping. So by having an organic bed, you can cut down your exposure. UGH.. I just picture my little ones, breathing right up against the mattress all night with nothing but a sheet and mattress pad in between. I'd rather cover the entire bed in PLASTIC. Maybe I am obsessive. Organic mattresses are expensive. I've spent so much time worried about my kids beds, I hate to pass it on, but maybe I should.
I hear ya, I actually do have the kids mattress wrapped in plastic (the thick bag it came in in fact). Its so scary that we are inhaling all those toxins all night! I told DH we have to get an organic mattress for our bed when we get a new one and that any other new ones need to be.

So are futon matresses safe? Maybe I should just get the kids a funton matress instead...wonder if Icould cut one in half to make two twin size bed matresses....
post #120 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymarliah View Post
I hear ya, I actually do have the kids mattress wrapped in plastic (the thick bag it came in in fact). Its so scary that we are inhaling all those toxins all night! I told DH we have to get an organic mattress for our bed when we get a new one and that any other new ones need to be.

So are futon matresses safe? Maybe I should just get the kids a funton matress instead...wonder if Icould cut one in half to make two twin size bed matresses....
Leaving it wrapped in plastic sounds more toxic than airing out the mattress. Leave it for a couple of days unwrapped in a well ventilated place or outside. Plastics off-gas as much or more than mattresses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Mindful Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › LEAD in Melissa and doug toys!