or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › LEAD in Melissa and doug toys!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LEAD in Melissa and doug toys! - Page 4

post #61 of 122
oops i just posted on wrong thread, lol. That's what happens when i have too many windows opened :
post #62 of 122
Oh, man, we have a TON of M&D toys. Here I thought we were being so "pure" not having too many plastic toys. I LOVE the natural wood toys (NOT made in China, where you can see the wood grain) but they're so pricey. Now I wish we'd bought my son fewer toys but better quality.

If the home lead-testing kits are not accurate, does anyone know how you could make sure something is safe? We "inherited" blocks my DH had as a kid. I used the home test kit when we first got them and thought that would be enough.

I did have my son's lead levels checked when he was a year. I may have them checked again. I'm going to see a naturopath in a few months and may talk to her about doing hair testing for heavy metals.
post #63 of 122
Ughh...this whole thing makes me sick. Why can't they just stop using this junk in children's toys.
post #64 of 122
How could you possibly totally stay away from plastic toys?
I go to playgroups at the family center more than 3 times a week and most of them are all plastic or M&D type of puzzles. You guys never go out for a playdate?
post #65 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradiata View Post
I think the answer is "NO".

I've been reading lately that there are some loopholes regarding safe lead levels in plastics. Some plastics will have many times the safe levels of lead in them because the toys were tested for "migration" levels (how much lead seeps out of the plastic simply by being in surface contact with something, often vinegar for the tests) rather than "total lead tests" (where they scrape the plastic, melt it down and see how much actual lead it contains). When tested for total lead many more toys fail toxicity testing, such as Mega Blocks as discovered recently in Canada.

Lead is used to color red and yellow plastics. It's cheaper than safer alternatives, so I imagine that very high quality plastic (oxymoron!) would be less likely to have lead in it. It seems like Legos and Playmobil may be safer because of their higher quality, but I would like to know more.

Plus plastics have all their own nasty stuff in addition to whatever lead may be there. In one way, at least lead is in a somewhat natural form and it's toxicity is known and understood, where as all the bizarre side effects of plastic exposure are only just starting to be understood.

Toys don't have to be lead-free to be considered non-toxic, they just have to have low levels of lead (600 parts per million). So if our children have many toys with low (ie, "safe") lead levels, doesn't it seem like that could eventually all add up to toxic levels?

I think I'm going to ditch everything that isn't made of untreated natural materials in our home! I spend a fortune on organically grown food just to have my child poisoned by TOY manufacturers? : Are these people monsters?
How are children exposed to toxins from plastic toys. By mouthing them? or even by touching? If the are old enough not to toys in the mouth, is it safe to give them plastic toys?
post #66 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
i dunno we stopped buying toys MIC and only stick with the natural unpainetd wooden ones like from www.threesisters.com
The correct link is: http://www.threesisterstoys.com/

Great stuff there!
post #67 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
I think that waiting to condemn something until we get independent test results is part of that "oh well it messed up a whole lot of people now lets do something about it" trend. THe same trend with pharmacueticals, with toys, with everything.

If we waited for test results on the benefits of breastfeeding I wouldnt have been breastfed as most of the kids who are over 15-18 years of age.

I thank the OP for posting this info and trying to warn us on something that many of us have already thought true for a while.
Well, I know all it takes is a shocking headline to get people's attention and the substance of the matter may well be true, it may also be a misunderstanding or it may be an outright falsehood and I'm NOT saying that anything that counterGOPI has gone through is fabricated, I totally believe what she has written happened to her and am very happy that her children's lead levels are down. What I am saying is that there is a possibility that there was some other factor at play, something that could have been overlooked if it isn't an obvious source. What I'm saying is that if these toys were tested and were found to have lead in them, that appropriate authorities should have been contacted in addition to consumer interest groups that have the funding to get things pushed into the national media's attention and that independent tests should be administered.

To do any less would be far too similar to a witch hunt, we've all read The Crucible right?

So, I ask, who else has been notified of these test results showing lead in these toys? EWG? CPSC? ANSI? WATCH? USPIRG? Local & Federal Lawmakers? I know there are more people to contact but that's all I can think of right now. For anyone who has concerns about these toys and aren't satisfied with what the company tells you, should you be taking the next step and contacting one or more of these groups to press for answers?

ETA: One of the ladies from my playgroup was having lead problems with her kids and tested all over the place and her doctor even order her breastmilk to be tested and guess what? High lead levels in her breastmilk.
post #68 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by gool0005 View Post
I don't know about Plan but I do know that many Haba products are made in China.

Honestly, I think that I will withhold condemning M&D until I see published independent test results showing what their lead levels are. There are many many factors that can contribute to high lead levels. the last few places I've lived, our homes were thoroughly tested for lead and the places where it was found was in the dirt outside the house and near the playground. If your children are being tested for lead and are found to have high levels, be sure to check the earth where your children play.
ALL of HABA wooden toys are made in germany... the only HABA toys MIC are puzzles and stuffed toys...
post #69 of 122

Too bad...

I only have a food set from them and a puzzle.

I should have known...they are MIC.
post #70 of 122
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gool0005 View Post
Well, I know all it takes is a shocking headline to get people's attention and the substance of the matter may well be true, it may also be a misunderstanding or it may be an outright falsehood and I'm NOT saying that anything that counterGOPI has gone through is fabricated, I totally believe what she has written happened to her and am very happy that her children's lead levels are down. What I am saying is that there is a possibility that there was some other factor at play, something that could have been overlooked if it isn't an obvious source. What I'm saying is that if these toys were tested and were found to have lead in them, that appropriate authorities should have been contacted in addition to consumer interest groups that have the funding to get things pushed into the national media's attention and that independent tests should be administered.

To do any less would be far too similar to a witch hunt, we've all read The Crucible right?

So, I ask, who else has been notified of these test results showing lead in these toys? EWG? CPSC? ANSI? WATCH? USPIRG? Local & Federal Lawmakers? I know there are more people to contact but that's all I can think of right now. For anyone who has concerns about these toys and aren't satisfied with what the company tells you, should you be taking the next step and contacting one or more of these groups to press for answers?

ETA: One of the ladies from my playgroup was having lead problems with her kids and tested all over the place and her doctor even order her breastmilk to be tested and guess what? High lead levels in her breastmilk.
no witch hunt here. for sure!

and myself,my dh and my BM was tested too
post #71 of 122
i am not all that surprised. i had questioned them about formaldehyde in thier toys which are made from plywoods and particle boards - all which contain formaldehyde. (they did say they do not use formaldehyde free plywoods) thier response was that thier toys were tested and met american standards. american standards basically let poisons run rampant in just about anything.
i believe haba toys are safe. german toys do have much stricter controls over toxic ingrediants. and i don't think everything from china is bad. we have an eco home store and there are many fair trade green companies out there who to keep costs down manufacture in china. but they are conscious companies whose first goal is not profit. the company who sets up the factories over there is responsible for what componants are used. Unfortunately profit is the only motive for most of these companies.
post #72 of 122
Anymore info on the M+D toys? I went to the news website and didn't see anything there.
post #73 of 122
This completely upsets me.....
post #74 of 122
great....i bought my son quite a few M&D toys for Christmas...thinking those would be the toys I would have to worry least about... wonderful..: I'm so tired of this crap.
post #75 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by talia rose View Post
...there are many fair trade green companies out there who to keep costs down manufacture in china. but they are conscious companies whose first goal is not profit. the company who sets up the factories over there is responsible for what componants are used. Unfortunately profit is the only motive for most of these companies.
I totally get the gist of what you're saying here, but I have never heard of a company whose first goal wasn't profit. If your goal isn't profit, why go into business in the first place? I don't know of any companies who, if no profit was made, would stay in business just for the love.
post #76 of 122
I saw someone mention awhile back the idea of stripping the toys and refinishing them. I don't think this is a good idea because you might leave little pieces of stripped paint lying around where they could do more harm than if it was just left intact on the toy. It seems like removing the paint safely would be too difficult to be worth it.
post #77 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd View Post
I saw someone mention awhile back the idea of stripping the toys and refinishing them. I don't think this is a good idea because you might leave little pieces of stripped paint lying around where they could do more harm than if it was just left intact on the toy. It seems like removing the paint safely would be too difficult to be worth it.
This is a good point. Anyone considering this option should make sure to use a stripper specifically designed for safe removal of lead-based paints.

The type of stripper my mom is using (soy strip) is intended for safe, non-airborne stripping of lead paint in home remodelling - it comes off in a soft sheet, can be easily transferred to a disposal container even when used on large surfaces, and is disposed of as a toxic substance (you normally have to call a local hotline for disposal of old paint and other toxic substances, and this is no different). Properly done, for removal of finishes and paints from individual pieces, it is done on a dropcloth and the dropcloth is used for nothing else and disposed of with the residue that is removed. Of course, gloves, and a paint respirator are worn during the process. It isn't going to be done anywhere that my sons will be playing in the future (it will be done in the garage), and anyone else who does this should also take those, or simliarly careful, precautions.

Once it is stripped, it will be painted and then sealed for maximum safety. My mom is an artist and house restorer, so this not an unknown process for her, and she is looking forward to making the number clock a personalized artistic keepsake that my sons will enjoy.

However, if you have no experience in refinishing old furniture safely, I'd also suggest forgoing the process, unless you are willing to invest in the various materials and equipment necessary.

Maura
post #78 of 122
subbing...we seemto have so many of the toys that are testing postive for lead...it'svery disheartening, idon't know what to buy anymore.

And for those with older children, how do you get away with not getting the popular toys? I think I'm starting to worry more about all the electronics my kids are exposed to...computers, ipods, nintendos, gameboys (heck, even my amish have gameboys and nintendos now), cellphones, and then when we go out there are tons of electonics everyone we go, even when ordering food sometimes! That "electrosmog" is starting to bother me as much as lead in my kids toys.

Add that to the chemicals, dyes, additives in food and seriously, its enough to drive you mad. I think that sometimes we can also become so obsessed it reminds me of an eating disorder or something with a contant dwelling, thinking, obsessing, researching, etc. And I am totally including myself here.

I have been thinking of taking my kids to a DAN doctor, but truthfully not really sure we have what it takes to go on a GFCF diet (although we aretrying) along with everything else. I can keep up with one, maybe two, plus my own health problems, but then it falls apart when i add everyone else in.

I don't know if I'm ready to get rid of all my lead toys, wouldn't itbe OK to just seal them with something? I'm afraid I'll get rid of everything, buy new stuff, only to find out that has a problem too!!!
post #79 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Bug View Post
I totally get the gist of what you're saying here, but I have never heard of a company whose first goal wasn't profit. If your goal isn't profit, why go into business in the first place? I don't know of any companies who, if no profit was made, would stay in business just for the love.
my company organic grace was not begun for profit. first and foremost i am a doula and a mother and my main purpose was and still is to get babies off poison mattresses and offer alternatives to toxic products. while i would like to be able to support my family from our business, i have no wish to get rich and would drop it all in a hot second if i had to take a chance on poisoning a child for profit. i also belong to co-op america where there are hundreds of other like minded business owners. it is possible to be in business and have health and well being the prime motivation and profit a nice and necassary benefit that does not require harming others.
post #80 of 122
I don't know what lead me to this thread but I am glad I read it... There goes more out of dd's room...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Mindful Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › LEAD in Melissa and doug toys!