or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Is bleach/water mix bad to inhale?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is bleach/water mix bad to inhale?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Hi,
I take my 16mo old baby to a playgroup in a family centre. They use a bleach/water solution to wipe off the tables before and after serving snacks.
The smell is quite strong so I wipe off my baby's area with water again before she sat down. But is it bad to inhale that smell for my little one?
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
Hi,
I take my 16mo old baby to a playgroup in a family centre. They use a bleach/water solution to wipe off the tables before and after serving snacks.
The smell is quite strong so I wipe off my baby's area with water again before she sat down. But is it bad to inhale that smell for my little one?
It depends on how strong the solution is and how often your child is exposed to it. Plus the fact that she is so young, her system is still maturing and could be more adversly effected by a strong solution and of course over time.

For me, I absolutely HATE bleach. We use good old fashioned vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, but I do not recommend wiping down her area with vinegar or HP after they just cleaned with the bleach.

This site is selling things, but they give a pretty good rundown on bleach and other commercial products- http://www.parish-supply.com/chemicals_in_closet.htm

My advice- Explain to them your concern for such a stong smell and that such young children tend to put their hands and other things in their mouth more often. Then, ask them what the ratio is/how much water to how much bleach. That could at least give you peace of mind that they are mixing it correctly.
post #3 of 5
Yes, it is bad for not only the child but also for you. It is a chemical that should not be inhaled nor should it be used around children.

Quote:
Chlorine is a respiratory irritant that attacks mucous membranes and burns the skin.
As little as 3.5 ppm can be detected as an odour, and 1000 ppm is likely to be fatal after a few deep breaths.
Exposure to chlorine has been limited to 0.5 ppm (8-hour time-weighted average - 40 hour week) by OSHA in the US.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
The regulation is that all day care/schools use bleach solution to sanitize eating and changing area. So don't you guys send your kids to day care or playgroups, preschools that use these solutions?
It's best to keep your kids only in your home which is the only safe place to be? I don't know what to do. I like going to playgroups.n
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
The regulation is that all day care/schools use bleach solution to sanitize eating and changing area. So don't you guys send your kids to day care or playgroups, preschools that use these solutions?
It's best to keep your kids only in your home which is the only safe place to be? I don't know what to do. I like going to playgroups.n

Yes, we leave the house.

The playgroup we go to the mom does not use bleach. The preschool DS goes to may use bleach, but I never ever smell it, not one bit. He is only there for 3 days, 3 hours at a time.

I suggest keep wiping the area where she sits with water and ask them how strong the solution is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Is bleach/water mix bad to inhale?