or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › Info for the 2008 March For Genital Integrity is available!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Info for the 2008 March For Genital Integrity is available!! - Page 2

post #21 of 51
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go...anyone from CT or vicinity heading down?
post #22 of 51
post #23 of 51
Oh COOL! I wish I could go
post #24 of 51
I really want to go, but it's over 500 miles from me.
post #25 of 51
If you can't go to Washington DC for the demonstration this year, there are many other ways to raise awareness of genital integrity.

How Can I Help?

http://www.genitalintegrity.net/giaw/how_help.htm

Jeff
post #26 of 51
oo, we're going to try to make it. Just moved to DC.
post #27 of 51
Not Just Skin / NOCIRC of Maryland and DC will host an informal get-together for intactivists on Saturday evening at Ryan's home in Hyattsville, Maryland. People may arrive starting at 7pm. Ryan will provide some food at 8pm. People may also bring food if they wish.

We will have a flyer with a map and directions at the demonstration on the West Lawn of the Capitol on Saturday.

Jeff Brown
post #28 of 51
Thread Starter 
*bump*
post #29 of 51
Thread Starter 
Well, looks like its just gonna be me going in my car, so I have lots of seats available again-- coming from philly area and willing to stop anywhere on the way if people need a ride. I am going saturday.
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Well, looks like its just gonna be me going in my car, so I have lots of seats available again-- coming from philly area and willing to stop anywhere on the way if people need a ride. I am going saturday.
Will you swing by Michigan and pick me up on your way? :




Seriously though, I wish I could go. How often do they have this? I'll have to make sure I can make it next time.
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
How often do they have this? I'll have to make sure I can make it next time.
They have it this time every year.
post #32 of 51
We're leaving today - I hope to see a lot of people there!
post #33 of 51
Cheering you all on!!
post #34 of 51
TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!

We'll try to make it next year.
post #35 of 51
Do they do this the same time of year every year? Next year I will be there.
post #36 of 51
I can't go. I REALLY want to go.

I'm already planning to be there next year!

Please take pictures and let us know how the event goes. I can't wait to hear all about it!
post #37 of 51
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone! Just got back from Washington and wanted to report in briefly before I go fall into bed.

I felt today went really well. Almost all the conversations I overheard where very productive and everyone I talked to seemed really open and receptive. Some that stand out in my mind:

-a woman not from the USA (though I dont know where she was from) asking me what circumcision meant, me explaining, and she being horrified (and 10x so when I told her 56% of the boys in the USA get this done to them)

-An intact 15 yr boy whose father is British....he came running up to us and told us it was so ironic that he found this protest since he was trying to convince his sister, who is due in Sept not to circumcise her son (the sister's boyfriend wants it done). We gave him lots of info and he got lots of pictures of our signs and stuff to take home; he left confident he could win her over.

-a couple teenage girls who just asked me what we were all about and why we felt it was a big issue. I talked about all the different reasons people come to intactivism....they learned that boys die from circumcision and about mRSA risk (which really hit home with the one girl since her school was closed due to an outbreak of MRSA last yr). They really got into the human rights side and also I was able to dispel the hygiene and "more painful for adults" myths. I felt confident at the close of our discussion that they would be looking more into the subject.

-a couple who was getting married in a few months that had no opinion but were really receptive to our message and asked for lots of handout materials so they could get involved in spreading the word.





Ill write more tomorrow-- gotta go rest my preggo bod!
post #38 of 51
This is soo cool. We can't go this year but I am going to mark my calender so we can go next year. As home schoolers this is a perfect learning opportunity for my kids as well.
I can't wait to see the pics. Hmmm I wonder if it will be televised. ?If it is could someone psot b/c I never really watch TV (DH kind of hogs it with sports and I'd rather be here) then I can put on the right channel.
How long have the protests taken place? Does it get bigger every year?
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
-An intact 15 yr boy whose father is British....he came running up to us and told us it was so ironic that he found this protest since he was trying to convince his sister, who is due in Sept not to circumcise her son (the sister's boyfriend wants it done). We gave him lots of info and he got lots of pictures of our signs and stuff to take home; he left confident he could win her over.
I overheard this conversation, did his mom ever show up?
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Not Just Skin / NOCIRC of Maryland and DC will host an informal get-together for intactivists on Saturday evening at Ryan's home in Hyattsville, Maryland. People may arrive starting at 7pm. Ryan will provide some food at 8pm. People may also bring food if they wish.

We will have a flyer with a map and directions at the demonstration on the West Lawn of the Capitol on Saturday.

Jeff Brown
I'm glad to hear Ryan is still running NotJustSkin. He's a great guy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Understanding Circumcision
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › Info for the 2008 March For Genital Integrity is available!!