or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Childrens bathrobes WITHOUT flame retardant
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Childrens bathrobes WITHOUT flame retardant

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Where can I find some?
post #2 of 15
My mom . Do you know anyone who sews. They are not that hard to make.
post #3 of 15
My dd and I both have LLBean fleece robes. No retardants.
post #4 of 15
A quick google on "organic cotton bathrobe child" turned up quite a few.

Personally I wouldn't go with a fleece robe unless it's cotton fleece (unlikely). Most fleece is polyester, a petroleum by product.

Not to mention the fact that polyester doesn't absorb moisture, nor does it breath. And if you were caught in a fire with it, it wouldn't burn, it'd melt.

If you're crafty, you can make a robe out of an old bath towel (depending on the size of your LO, of course).
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
I may have to make some. I searched for a bunch of organic ones and the ones I found are discontinued, too small or VERY expensive. Thanks!
post #6 of 15
Here's the tutorial I was thinking of. It's for a baby one, but it's easy enough to make bigger just by increasing the size of the towel.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Here's the tutorial I was thinking of. It's for a baby one, but it's easy enough to make bigger just by increasing the size of the towel.
Cool! I don't know if I am very good at changing patters. :
post #8 of 15
So this is the way it can work...

Take a large towel. One that is wide enough to cover the length of your child. Fold it in thirds so that the two ends slightly overlap each other. Have your child lie down on it spread eagled and just draw a line a few inches under their arm, and a few inches to either side, and mark a spot on either shoulder for the neck. Stitch down those lines on either side, and to the mark across the top edge. Cut open the sleeves, finish the sleeves, turn it right side out, add a belt.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
So this is the way it can work...

Take a large towel. One that is wide enough to cover the length of your child. Fold it in thirds so that the two ends slightly overlap each other. Have your child lie down on it spread eagled and just draw a line a few inches under their arm, and a few inches to either side, and mark a spot on either shoulder for the neck. Stitch down those lines on either side, and to the mark across the top edge. Cut open the sleeves, finish the sleeves, turn it right side out, add a belt.
Thank you. Do you think I could find a big enough towel for a six year old in a regular store or might I need to order one? I suppose that would be all in the measurements, hey? I should probably just measure to see how long I want it to be and then check online for towel widths that might be close to that. Am I getting this right?
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
So this is the way it can work...

Take a large towel. One that is wide enough to cover the length of your child. Fold it in thirds so that the two ends slightly overlap each other. Have your child lie down on it spread eagled and just draw a line a few inches under their arm, and a few inches to either side, and mark a spot on either shoulder for the neck. Stitch down those lines on either side, and to the mark across the top edge. Cut open the sleeves, finish the sleeves, turn it right side out, add a belt.
WOW. This is awesome. I'm not much of a seamstress, but I think even I coudl do this.
post #11 of 15
Ack. I didn't know bathrobes had that cr*p on them too.

One more thing to worry about.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Thank you. Do you think I could find a big enough towel for a six year old in a regular store or might I need to order one? I suppose that would be all in the measurements, hey? I should probably just measure to see how long I want it to be and then check online for towel widths that might be close to that. Am I getting this right?
Oh, yeah. I could find a towel to fit me at the local bed bath and beyond or possibly even Target, and Im a LOT bigger than a 6 year old. It wouldn't reach my ankles, maybe only be knee length, but for a summer robe that's plenty.

ETA - and this way, you can make one in each child's favorite color so they're not arguing over which one belongs to whom.
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Now I just need to find out where there are good prices on organic bath towels.
post #14 of 15
under the nile makes an organic cotton bathrobe, its a little pricey, cause all there stuff is I think its around 40$
post #15 of 15

Hi there - I just got off the phone with LL Bean and they told me that they DO have flame retardant in their fleece robes for kids - but that it's in the yarn, rather than sprayed on after the fact. I will keep looking!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Natural Body Care
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Childrens bathrobes WITHOUT flame retardant