or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › Will Smith and his "own school"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will Smith and his "own school" - Page 2

post #21 of 51
Thanks for sharing!
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Having immersed himself in educational theories while home-schooling his kids, Will Smith says he and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, plan to put that knowledge to greater use by teaming with like-minded parents and creating a full school.



bizarre. They are so encouraged and committed to homeschool that they are creating a school :
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
bizarre. They are so encouraged and committed to homeschool that they are creating a school :
I hear ya' but well, I don't fault the man actually. Public school is so full of racism that I would love to see it reformed and if anyone can do it, he can and he just may be able to start something really good for students who go to public schools.
post #24 of 51
I'm curious to know more about what this school would be like. I've read that quote before about preparing their children for the technological age and not wanting them to memorize. I find myself wondering what kind of school would encompass all of their wishes for educating their children.

That aside, I do like seeing him talk about homeschooling. The more exposure the better - and how fantastic to have him spreading the word, helping normalize it, if you will.
post #25 of 51
Quote:
As for the song "Just the Two of Us" yes it does mention spanking but it also mentions a lot more about teaching him about being a "man" and a father. He loves his children. Nobody is perfect. I don't agree with the spanking part but there is so much more postive about him.
Promoting spanking is a deal breaker for me. He didn't slip up and spank his kid, he specifically put pro spanking lyrics in his song. How many other parents heard that song and felt tacit approval to "build a strong man" by making sure they hit their child? The fact that he did connect spanking to building a strong son makes it all the more disturbing. You cannot simultaneously promote hitting children and garner admiration for your views on freedom and creativity in childhood learning. I don't think spanking automatically makes you a horrible parent--but I do think it's incompatible with the values ascribed to him in this thread.

Now, maybe he changed his mind, maybe he regrets promoting violence in parenting, and that is very possible. A new wife, more maturity as a second time father--maybe he had a change of heart. But he hasn't said so, to my knowledge.
post #26 of 51
One of my favorite quotes comes from Will Smith "Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like." ...it's so true!

I'm a huge Will and Jada fan (as actors, parents and people); but I'm not a fanatic. I had some help from IMDB for the details of my responses below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
...Does he have other children?...
Yes, he was married to Sheree Smith for three years; and they have one son -- Willard Smith III (better known as "Trey Smith"); born in 1992. Sheree has custody of Trey, so that would be why Trey is in the school system but his other children are not.

Will and Jada have two children; their daughter Willow and her older brother Jaden (who you may know as playing Will Smith's character's son in the movie "The Persuit of Happyness"...and boy do I ever love that film!)

You might also be interested to know that his mother was (is..?) a school board employee. I just thought I'd throw that in there for cool info purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebmom97 View Post
Thats so awesome. I didin`t even know that they homeschooled.
You know what else they do and promote openly? Breastfeeding. Jada breastfed each of her kids for almost two years! When she was pregnant with Willow, she did an interview with Fit Pregnancy magazine, and during the interview, she was asked how long she breastfed Jaden for. Her reply: "A good 18 months. That baby never even saw a bottle. He went everywhere with me — premieres, award shows. I would just find a back room and hook him up." I figured you might like that comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
I have never liked him since he put pro spanking lyrics in a song about parenting his oldest son....I take his opinions on freedom in education with a very skeptical eye as a result.
Given the rest of the great things he does for his kids and the way he lives his life (not swearing in his songs, for example) and models good behavior all around; I think it's frownable that you discount his promotions of 'homeschooling'. I think he's doing a good thing by raising awareness to the negatives of schools and taking charge of his kids education as an example. I don't think his choice to spank or not should hold any weight against that; as they're two separate issues.

They're really involved with their kids, and publicly put the kids (and eachother) first. I think it's commendable.

Also, I bet if someone gave him information on why not to spank and how to deal otherwise; he'd consider it in depth. When you know better, you do better. Maybe he and Jada will stumble upon MDC some day and learn another way.
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Given the rest of the great things he does for his kids and the way he lives his life (not swearing in his songs, for example) and models good behavior all around; I think it's frownable that you discount his promotions of 'homeschooling'. I think he's doing a good thing by raising awareness to the negatives of schools and taking charge of his kids education as an example. I don't think his choice to spank or not should hold any weight against that; as they're two separate issues.
I would agree if we were talking about two totally different issues. It might be "frownable" to discount his acting ability based on his personal parenting beliefs.

However, both the spanking and his idea's on education concern children. I completely disagree that the spanking issue should be swept aside just because he promotes alternative education.

It isn't unusual for pro spanking and pro homeschooling sentiments to come from the same person. I would say that a significant percentage of homeschoolers are pro spanking. Will Smith has publicly advocated both practices--and so have many other homeschoolers.

I think people are willing to overlook this because he is a celebrity. If he were the author of a parenting book he would be heavily criticized here for his pro spanking sentiments, regardless of his pro homeschooling attitude. People would want to know *exactly* what he meant when he sang a song about hitting his son. He didn't write a book, but he has used a public platform to assert opinions on serious parenting issues, and is no less accountable for it than the author of a parenting book. Again--he didn't reveal a weak moment as a parent, but asserted his willingness to hit his child (in the song). Maybe it was just an expression he used because it sounded good in the song--if he wants to be taken seriously now, he needs to revisit the issue.

It's nice when celebrities normalize an alternative issue. Hopefully Will Smith will publicly take back what he said about hitting children. If he is truly an advocate of freedom in learning, that shouldn't be a stretch for him at all.
post #28 of 51
I'd rather have a parent that swears than one that advocates hitting. As long as the swearing isn't name calling. I'm talking about general discriptive swearing.
post #29 of 51
Back on topic...

Perhaps Will Smith was misquoted? The reporter could have written "full school" instead of "full-day co-op"...?

My husband is well-known in his field and interviewed a lot by various journals and newspapers. He gets misquoted at least 25% of the time.
post #30 of 51
i live around charlotte and we have "full" schools for homeschoolers. they're pretty expensive imo and are kinda like a college campus. you go one or two days a week....choose your classes....they have sports you can sign up for, etc. maybe that's what he meant?? dunno. just a thought?
post #31 of 51
Thread Starter 
I think regardless of what kind of school he is intending to start, it speaks volumes for homeschoolers in a way that makes it seem acceptable. WE know it's more than acceptable, but so many people all over the world are so amazingly ignorant about homeschooling and see it as an injustice to children etc...I think any positive publicity on this subject has got to be good.

The spanking issue(I was unaware of) doesn't sit well at all obviously, and I agree, it should not be swept aside just because he homeschools. However, when one of our relatives is sitting there watching or reading that interview, maybe next time we see them, instead of asking us if the children are going to grow up to become weird, they would have a slightly more intelligent question or comment for us.

If we see this for what it actually is ie; good publicity, then surely that is a positive?

post #32 of 51
Quote:
then it's technically homeschooling but misses out on the spirit/intent of homeschooling which is the parents being responsible for helping their children learn??
That's Your opinion on the "spirit of homeschooling."
post #33 of 51
Quote:
I think people are willing to overlook this because he is a celebrity. If he were the author of a parenting book he would be heavily criticized here for his pro spanking sentiments, regardless of his pro homeschooling attitude.
So you just think that the people who disagree with you on this, are petty?

You know, I've read a lot of things I don't like.

Those "How to talk" and books, I believe are some that aren't exactly anti-spanking. Iirc, they talk about how it's so hard to not spank. I read that and wonder wtf. But that doesn't mean everything they have to say is bunk. It means I disagree with what they say about spanking.

I won't just disregard people who don't agree with every single thing I think.
post #34 of 51
The impression I get from the video clip is that they wanted certain things included in the education of their kids, so they decided to homeschool to accomplish that. I heard somewhere - maybe it was when he was being interviewed on a TV show - what he thinks is important in the way of education, and it was HUGE, but I can't recall the details. Then they became acquainted with eight or so other parents who homeschooled, so they all decided to get together and create a little private school with tutors.

If you think of eight parents, that could make for maybe even double that amount of students. End of homeschooling -> beginning of a nice little private school in which they'll all have a say in what goes on, but not something I would think any of them will really be referring to as homeschooling. With parents working long days for weeks at a time away home on location and such, they probably feel that fits their needs even better than homeschooling. Makes sense.

Funny - that's what I'd envisioned before I suddenly realized we could homeschool instead and be free to travel or do whatever we pleased, and without the responsibility to other people.

I was at a homeschool information meeting some years back when one of the other parents who was also invited to do a brief talk turned out to be someone who had put together a "co-op" that was like that - because she and the other parents really believed in school and organized parent-directed studies. She even said at one point, "Okay - it's like a little school." I was beside myself sitting next to her and having to hold my tongue. In fact, come to think of it , I didn't hold my tongue very well - and I'm sure I was making faces and squirming while she was talking, because she was strongly advising people that that they, too, should do that. I remember feeling slightly self-conscious about being rude, since I was just an invited guest too. Funny thing is that I'm not even particularly anti-school - until it comes to promoting it as a better alternative when people have the option of actually homeschooling (and unschooling) in an area where there's lots of do and lots of other homeschoolers to do things with. My son was taking college classes at the time and really thriving after his years of unschooling - so to hear someone tell people who were looking into homeschooling that they should set up little schools was crazy-making. But I think that's different from when little homemade private schools really are a great solution for people with special circumstances.

Yes, CA law does have a "private school" option, by the way, that a lot of people use for homeschooling, but it seems to me that this is a private school in the more traditional use of the word. - Lillian
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrella View Post
Those "How to talk" and books...
Are you referring to the "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen" book??? I haven't read it, but I sure hope it isn't in that category, because it's widely recommended... - Lillian
post #36 of 51
I remember John Travolta saying that they homeschooled their kids, and about the same time reading an article where his wife said that they were part of a school that was recently formed. Maybe it is a Scientology kind of thing.

I don't know ... I think that we homeschoolers are just plain trendy and everyone wants to be like us. ;-)
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I remember John Travolta saying that they homeschooled their kids, and about the same time reading an article where his wife said that they were part of a school that was recently formed.
I remember hearing him say that they had fixed up a whole schoolroom out behind their house. This from the guy who has an airplane hangar on the property - so I can just imagine the scale of the classroom. I have a feeling it's not that uncommon for people to start out thinking they're going to need to homeschool in order to provide the kind of education they want for their kids, and then quickly discovering that there are actually some like-minded people around who have the same set of educational goals - so, golly whiz, they can all get together and do a cool little school together and all pitch in with various talents and money and tutors and stuff. If you're living a pretty fast paced life in the mainstream world, you're not quite as likely to wander into the same kind of thinking many of us have about a less school-like way of facilitating more individualized learning - especially in a way that gives children more power over what and how they're going to learn as they go along. When I started homeschooling, I was merely intending to provide a very nice, holistically oriented school-at-home sort of thing - it was only through experience that I discovered a radically different way of thinking about it, but that was because of having the time and quiet to be able to notice what was really going on with our son. If I had been a more hard charging sort of person who was used to directing things and getting things done in a big way and in a tightly organized fashion, I might have missed a whole lot of the signs that drew us into a definite preference for homeschooling rather than ever being willing to be part of anything school-like. Lillian
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
...I would agree if we were talking about two totally different issues...
We are.
Spanking = discipline issue. Homeschooling = education issue. Totally separate. You can go ahead and tell me how spanking is supposed to be a discipline issue that teaches, and therefore it's an education issue, but that's just stretching it. So he doesn't discipline like you do; that doesn't mean all the other things he does should be met with (as your words say) "a very skeptical eye". I think it's commendable that he speaks so much about the good things he's doing (like 'homeschooling') and that his celebrity brings it to so many people's attention.



Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
...he has used a public platform to assert opinions on serious parenting issues....
I disagree with this statement too. He never said anything like "you should spank your kids"....THAT would be asserting his opinions. That song was written for and to his son. The words in question are specifically "..but I will test that butt when you cut outta line..." The rest of the song is full of great lessons he's teaching his son (/kids) and if anything, there's alot to learn from it as a whole.


Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
...I completely disagree that the spanking issue should be swept aside just because he promotes alternative education....
Never once did I (or anyone) say that the spanking issue should be swept aside; and frankly I don't appreciate you putting words into my mouth to try and promote your point. That being said, YOU seem to want to sweep aside his promoting of alternative education just because he spanks.

My point was not that spanking is a good thing, nor that we should ignore it because he's a celebrity; but rather that all the other good things he does for his kids and wife; all the other things he demonstrates publicly -- THOSE need to be commended. He made one lousy mistake in public. Overall, he's a pretty damn good role model for alot of people -- parents and children alike.
post #39 of 51
Who cares if a celebrity homeschools? Maybe I'm wierd but I don't really care if HSing gets increased press or has a celebrity face attached to it. It isn't going to change one thing in my life personally.
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrella View Post
That's Your opinion on the "spirit of homeschooling."
I would have to say that's the opinion of the majority of homeschooling parents...take a group of 15odd children, put them in a room and pay someone to teach them? Nope doesn't much resemble any variety of homeschool I've ever heard of... It sounds exactly like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post


If you think of eight parents, that could make for maybe even double that amount of students. End of homeschooling -> beginning of a nice little private school in which they'll all have a say in what goes on, but not something I would think any of them will really be referring to as homeschooling. With parents working long days for weeks at a time away home on location and such, they probably feel that fits their needs even better than homeschooling. Makes sense.
*that* I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but I do think it changes from homeschooling to something else at that point. Obviously I do know that parents that hs create & use co-ops and outside classes & tutoring services.. but they usually supplement the homeschooling, not dominate it completely.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › Will Smith and his "own school"