or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › Will Smith and his "own school"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will Smith and his "own school" - Page 3

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Who cares if a celebrity homeschools? Maybe I'm wierd but I don't really care if HSing gets increased press or has a celebrity face attached to it. It isn't going to change one thing in my life personally.
the point is that nowadays it's all about what would that celebrity do?our society is acting on what they see the famous doing. i belong to another board and someone actually said that Will Smith was her inspiration for wanting to homeschool. i'm happy to see it! i don't care what finally made someone stand up and take notice it's just that they are tha is the thing.
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
*that* I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but I do think it changes from homeschooling to something else at that point. Obviously I do know that parents that hs create & use co-ops and outside classes & tutoring services.. but they usually supplement the homeschooling, not dominate it completely.
Yes, that's actually the point I was making - they started out homeschooling but decided a little school made more sense for them. I don't think they had any special commitment to homeschooling in the first place - they simply wanted to make sure their kids grew up with a certain kind of education. Lillian
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
the point is that nowadays it's all about what would that celebrity do?our society is acting on what they see the famous doing. i belong to another board and someone actually said that Will Smith was her inspiration for wanting to homeschool. i'm happy to see it! i don't care what finally made someone stand up and take notice it's just that they are tha is the thing.
And they can sit there on a national TV show and be asked respectful questions that they can answer at their leisure in a friendly conversation without some "expert" being called in to "balance" out the issue with some nonsense debating their choice. They're not just some mom sitting in the audience and having a few moments to respond to someone who's explaining why homeschooling is a poor choice. That's the only reason I'd care - although, quite frankly, the kind of setup these folks tend to have seems to be a miniature version of a fabulous private school, so it's really not the same. Sounds really great for their needs, but just not the same as what a lot of us happen to value. Whatever - it doesn't really make a lot of difference one way or another, but it may inspire a few people like it did for a lot of people when they saw John Holt on Donahue. - Lillian
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Who cares if a celebrity homeschools? Maybe I'm wierd but I don't really care if HSing gets increased press or has a celebrity face attached to it. It isn't going to change one thing in my life personally.
:


Pat
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I would have to say that's the opinion of the majority of homeschooling parents...take a group of 15odd children, put them in a room and pay someone to teach them? Nope doesn't much resemble any variety of homeschool I've ever heard of... It sounds exactly like...
My quote was in reference to a larger quote:
Quote:
I know it's a bit of a bone of contention in hs circles.. but to me if you are hiring a 'qualified' teacher to do all the 'teaching' for you, then it's technically homeschooling but misses out on the spirit/intent of homeschooling which is the parents being responsible for helping their children learn??
which I believed referred to the fact that the smiths previously used tutors.

And all the same, I don't think it's anyone's place to decide what is the true spirit/intent of homeschooling.

What any one person might say is the true intent or spirit of homeschooling, may in fact go exactly against what all of the homeschoolers in a different nation do. So one's home country is a deciding factor in what the true spirit and intent of homeschooling for Others is? Not if you ask me.

I might say that the true intent of homeschooling is so that parents can hand-pick which topics their children cover, and when, regardless of who is presenting the material (and that the parents get to hand-pick who does present it).

But that would be an illegal form of homeschooling in many countries where homeschooling families must strictly follow the national curriculum, including covering the same topics at the same time.

So the homeschooling families in those countries aren't really homeschooling, if I we go by my own made-up above definition of the true spirit/intent of homeschooling.

Point being, who are we to say what that it, and who does or does not fit it.
post #46 of 51
.
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrella View Post
What any one person might say is the true intent or spirit of homeschooling, may in fact go exactly against what all of the homeschoolers in a different nation do. So one's home country is a deciding factor in what the true spirit and intent of homeschooling for Others is? Not if you ask me.

I might say that the true intent of homeschooling is so that parents can hand-pick which topics their children cover, and when, regardless of who is presenting the material (and that the parents get to hand-pick who does present it).

But that would be an illegal form of homeschooling in many countries where homeschooling families must strictly follow the national curriculum, including covering the same topics at the same time.

So the homeschooling families in those countries aren't really homeschooling, if I we go by my own made-up above definition of the true spirit/intent of homeschooling.

Point being, who are we to say what that it, and who does or does not fit it.
post #48 of 51
Quote:
I disagree with this statement too. He never said anything like "you should spank your kids"....THAT would be asserting his opinions.
He never ordered other parents to run out and homeschool their children --but you seem ready to admit that his public statements on homeschooling may influence parents opinions on the topic.

You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
He made one lousy mistake in public.
He never called his pro spanking stance a public mistake.

I think this is an "agree to disagree moment". You will never convince me that someone who sings about spanking a small child should go unchallenged as a homeschooling advocate.
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
...I think this is an "agree to disagree moment"....
Deal. Let's move on from this thread.

(Honestly, all I can think about right now is Mighty-Mama. Everything else seems petty and redundant. )
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
the point is that nowadays it's all about what would that celebrity do?our society is acting on what they see the famous doing.
All the more reason to reject this type of endorsement IMO.
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Honestly, all I can think about right now is Mighty-Mama. Everything else seems petty and redundant
(((Hug))) That is very true. I was thinking about her this morning. Thanks for the reminder.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › Will Smith and his "own school"