or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Stupid things you believed until recently....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupid things you believed until recently.... - Page 18

post #341 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
OK, maybe it won't *blow up*, but isn't there some reason why you're supposed to keep the door open?



Err, I thought this was true, at least no way to get back on very easily.
I always keep the oven door open when broiling so I can keep an eye on it easier to make sure it doesn't burn. And so I'm less likely to forget about it

As for "Exit only" signs, round here it means that the lane you are in is exiting so if you are in that lane you have to exit, you can't stay on the freeway. Nothing to do with whether you can get back on again at that point
post #342 of 489
When I was little, the hwy out of town had a sign up on a tree in a little forest that said "Game Cutting" with a phone number below. Growing up I always thought it was a place you could go to cut trees down for fun it wasn't until last year when I took my dh down that road and pointed out the "tree cutting fo fun" sign that he burst out laughing and told me it was an add for game Animal butchering like deer and moose ... oh I felt so silly
post #343 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Maybe this has been answered...I haven't gotten through the entire thread yet...but why is that embarassing? I thought males had one less rib?? Dh thinks so too, we're confused lol.
That's a biblical myth.

You tell the difference between the two skeletons by the pelvis, usually.
post #344 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
Oh that last one reminded me of my dear xMIL bless her little heart. She'd heard about the internet, and email, and cookies, and well, she had a son in the air force several states away. She called me up one day to ask me if I could send him some cookies she'd made via email because she'd heard they would get there instantaneously.
that is just way too cute.
post #345 of 489
Quote:
That's a biblical myth.
Not strictly true. The Bible says Adam had a rib removed, so as to make Eve, but it doesn't say 'and therefore all males since Adam have one less rib than women'. I mean, that doesn't even make sense... it's like saying a circumcised man will have circumcised sons, or an amputee's descendents will all be missing the same limb. Though I have run into people who believe it (ribswise, not the amputee thing... presumably...).

Oh, I think my sister and I managed to convince our little sister that hedgehogs hatched out of eggs. And just this morning, I made DH believe that Americans eat steak pie for dessert with cream and ice cream.
post #346 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
Should I be REALLY embarrassed to say that I didn't know exactly where I pee'd from
Ummm...ok well, me too. Until my husband told me!
post #347 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolaab View Post

As for "Exit only" signs, round here it means that the lane you are in is exiting so if you are in that lane you have to exit, you can't stay on the freeway. Nothing to do with whether you can get back on again at that point

Yep, I think that's what they all mean. I pass several every day and there is obviously an on ramp right next to them Not sure why it took me until well into my 20's to put two and two together
post #348 of 489
We have some (in the Southeast) that say something like "Exit Only - No Re-entry This Exit" or something along those lines. I was glad when they started using that language - makes it clearer.
post #349 of 489
Until I had my first child, I believed that being a mama was an easy job.
post #350 of 489
I had no idea about the pineapples until right now.
post #351 of 489
I used to say "shay ohs" for "Chaos" till Dh laughed at me...:

When I was a kid I was terrified of swimming in in-ground pools because I believed a sea monster lived in the vent for the pool filter. To this day I HATE swimming and in the back of my head I still have to mutter..."there is no such thing as a pool monsters..."
post #352 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton View Post
I had no idea about the pineapples until right now.
me neither I thought they grew like coconuts in bunches up in trees
post #353 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beating Earth View Post
Dachshund = Docks - hund
Omg,
I just now realized that when people were saying "docksond" they were really saying "dachshund" (which I thought was dash-hound) I just now realized that the two are one in the same! I feel stupid now.


For the longest time, I thought that all railroad crossings had gates & lights and noises, I couldn't figure out what the big problem with non-gated RR crossings was (an issue legislators were trying to address one year). When I was in college I did a lot of driving around rural areas and almost none of them have gates on their RR crossings. Maybe lights, and always signs, but no gates.
post #354 of 489
Up until about 15 minutes ago, I believed that dandruff was the result of dried shampoo on the scalp that did not rinse completely. I was in the shower and DW was in the bathroom with the baby because the warm air (coupled with an essential oil dropped onto the bottom of the shower) would help to clear up her nasal passages.

DW mentioned that she was getting dandruff, and I commented on how that was weird because we had never shampooed her. DW was quiet for a very long time, and in the ensuing conversation I learned that dandruff was dried skin shedding from the scalp and not dried shampoo.

She asked me why, then, would one need special shampoo, and I replied because I thought dandrugg shampoo was more soluable in water and therefore left less of a residue on the scalp resulting in less dried shampoo and ergo less dandruff.

A quick peek at Wikipedia confirmed DW's statements (much to my chagrin), and I came straight here.

Oh well, I'll give DW this one ... she's not right often
post #355 of 489
I knew somebody who wouldn't bank with the Bank of Nova Scotia, even though it's right outside his workplace. When I asked him why he said they always hang a big sign saying "cash stop" there. He thought they didn't have cash. To be honest, all the banks here have unique names for their ATMs, but "cash stop" really doesn't sound all that great.
post #356 of 489
I didn't know peanuts grew underground, I thought they grew on a vine above ground--I learned the truth by reading a story to dd. I always wondered why raw peanuts were so dirty. LOL
post #357 of 489
Anyone else baffled by how pineapples grow? See it here.

That looks so not right.
post #358 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj View Post
I didn't know peanuts grew underground, I thought they grew on a vine above ground--I learned the truth by reading a story to dd. I always wondered why raw peanuts were so dirty. LOL
uh, what's this you say about peanuts??..
post #359 of 489
This has been highly entertaining.

When I was little I thougt women got pregnant from sleeping in the same bed as men. That the sperm swam across the bed into the woman and up to the egg and then she was pregnant.

Then I found out.
Oh my.

Something came up in casual conversation driving around trown with the kids that women and girls have 3 holes. My DS was freaked out because he thought there was just one.

Then DH freaked out because I said that to him. I was like Um... so how would it be OK for him to learn this stuff? I'm not going to let him go around with inaccurate ideas about stuff just because it embarasses DH for me to talk about anatomy with my child. Who I am homeschooling BTW. I HAVE to talk about this stuff with him!

I used to think when you were BFing that AF went away the whole time and never came back until you weaned. Then I got AF back right away after DS1 was born and I felt that was SO NOT fair.

As far as the multiple nipple holes thing: did you know some women have milk ducts that come out on the areola, not just the nipple. Now THAT looks freaky during a massive spray-fest letdown!
post #360 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillian View Post
uh, what's this you say about peanuts??..
Goobers Grow Underground
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Talk Amongst Ourselves
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Stupid things you believed until recently....