or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › The brand new to sewing tribe!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The brand new to sewing tribe! - Page 3

post #41 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
Like everything else sewing related, I get completely overwhelmed by how many websites there are. Here are a few that I visit, but it's too soon for me to tell which are the most helpful.

Sewing Mamas
Home Sewing
Beginner Sewing
All Crafts
Thank you, earthgirl...I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.
post #42 of 165
Joining and subbing! My machine is currently at the shop to be repaired and cleaned (my mom's old dusty machine) so I can't start for a while, but I'll check in here in the meantime.

Thanks to those that have done so much work in finding good websites!
post #43 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmie0515 View Post
Joining and subbing! My machine is currently at the shop to be repaired and cleaned (my mom's old dusty machine) so I can't start for a while, but I'll check in here in the meantime.

Thanks to those that have done so much work in finding good websites!
How exciting. Older machine are so cool. It's neat that you'll be learning to sew on a machine that your mom used.
post #44 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
Just wanted to let y'all know I just got the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing book from the library. It's not the most recent edition, but it looks like it's going to be quite helpful. There are lots and lots of pictures, which is great for me. I also checked out 101 Ways to Use Your First Sewing Machine. It looks less helpful, but there seems to be at least some useful stuff in there.
I just got that book from the library today. I'm excited to go through it when I get the chance. It looks very comprehensive and very much for someone who knows nothing. I've found with some other books that I've flipped through they're not always as beginner-friendly as they say. I thought this one looked like it breaks everything down - just what I need.

I also picked up "Rip It" by Elissa Meyrich. It looks really good. I definitely plan on using old clothes to make new things. But I will go through the Readers Digest book before I do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Just finished my first CD!! newborn sized fitted. Now I just need to find a newborn to test it on.
pics:
http://www.comwired.com/rach/diaper/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Thanks!! Confession, though.. its not touch tape (I do have some ordered, but I was too impatient to wait for it) I bought some velcro and its weird. its not normal hook/loop. One side is rough, one side is soft, and it just sticks. Kinda hard to describe! I guess one way to describe it is imagine some TT or aplix that got a *very* close shave. Its just to tide me over and let me practice until I get my REAL stuff though!

Ooh and I made another, this time big enough for my dd! I was so excited, it fit her perfectly! Seriously, there's not a diaper or cover in our stash that fits as well as this. Its a MIRACLE!! lol. Anyway, I got a pic of her modeling it:

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/phot...47zs05f7c6ks6p
Both of those are awesome. Did you have a pattern? I found a wool cover pattern online that I want to try. Hopefully I'll get around to it before LO's out of diapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post
I'm in! I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm completely new to the whole thing. I found a really easy pattern for pants and I asked my friend who sews for tips and, guess what? I have achieved pants!!!!
I've made dd five pair of pants and my friend's baby a pair of cow pants. They are not perfect but it is really cool to see dd wearing clothes I've made her!
I will definitely check out the web sites and the books. My dd has requested that I move on to tops and I'm not ready to take that step yet.
Wow! Five pairs?! That's really great. I want to make some pants. I like the Amy Butler pattern in her "In Stitches" book. It's on Soulemama's blog. For those of you that haven't discovered her, please take a look.

http://soulemama.typepad.com/

Anyways, I'm looking forward to making this journey with you guys.
post #45 of 165
i made a pattern by picking a diaper (actually, i think i used covers..) from my stash, folding it lengthwise, had dh help hold it and stretch it out while i traced on the back of a paper bag. that makes half a pattern, so i fold the fabric in half, and put the edge along the fold.
post #46 of 165
Isn't Soulemama wonderful?
post #47 of 165
Harmie- I've heard older vintage machines are the best! Oldies but goodies!

Mama2mygirl-great job on the pants. I'm trying to get some flannel pants done for my kids and me too. I just cannot get any time. I have heard they are quick and easy and the tuts on here look super easy. Just gotta sit down to do it.

As for books I have the "The Complete Dummy's Guide to Sewing" I think it seems like a good book. It's a good reference guide.

I'm trying to get some babylegs done also. But again, time, or rather lack there of it is my main issue.
post #48 of 165
Thread Starter 
I just got Sew Fast, Sew Easy in the mail yesterday. It looks great. I'm hitting the fabric store this weekend so I can start on one of the projects in there. I'm going to go ahead and recommend this book to y'all b/c it looks to be very user friendly. Here's a link.

Oh, I also want to learn how to make pants. I'm going to make that a goal for next month, I think.
post #49 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
i made a pattern by picking a diaper (actually, i think i used covers..) from my stash, folding it lengthwise, had dh help hold it and stretch it out while i traced on the back of a paper bag. that makes half a pattern, so i fold the fabric in half, and put the edge along the fold.
I think that is SO impressive. I follow recipes closely, so you know I'd have to follow a pattern. And it is so cute!
post #50 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewmommy View Post
I want to make some pants. I like the Amy Butler pattern in her "In Stitches" book. It's on Soulemama's blog. For those of you that haven't discovered her, please take a look.

http://soulemama.typepad.com/

Anyways, I'm looking forward to making this journey with you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Isn't Soulemama wonderful?
I don't know if I'm mad you shared that link (I just spent WAY too much time on her blog) or hug you because it is so AWESOME!
I think I'll go with the hug.
post #51 of 165
I got a serger for Christmas and I have absolutely no idea how to use it, yet. I also got Bend the Rules Sewing, so that's got some easy cute stuff to start with. I've got bibs cut out, but I've got to learn to, oh, I dunno... thread the machine...
post #52 of 165
I practiced initially on scraps of fabric. I practiced turning corners...not feeling like it was going at top speed. It will get easier.
post #53 of 165
Thread Starter 
When DD wakes up from her nap we're heading to the fabric store so I can get the supplies to get started on my first project. : I can't wait to start working on something real. What's everyone else working on?
post #54 of 165
subbing - i got a machine for christmas, it's still in the box
post #55 of 165
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetling View Post
subbing - i got a machine for christmas, it's still in the box
What did you get?
post #56 of 165

Made my first diaper

I will post picks soon. I have to make some adjustments. The velcro is the suck!. So I am gonna steal some from a cover that doesn't fit him and put in an order for aplix or touch tape.

I have some pretty cool fabric to work with after I get the pattern down right. I was surprised at how easy it was.

I am soooo excited I figured out how to get my really old sewing machine that we found on the side of the road to do a straight stitch and a zigzag stich. Seems super simple after I found the nob to make it work!

I am excited about finishing the leg warmers I started and starting on a pillow, but I got kinda sucked into the whole diaper thing. Now all the kids want leg warmers and I had to convince them they didn't need diapers
post #57 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamirranda View Post
I will post picks soon. I have to make some adjustments. The velcro is the suck!. So I am gonna steal some from a cover that doesn't fit him and put in an order for aplix or touch tape.

I have some pretty cool fabric to work with after I get the pattern down right. I was surprised at how easy it was.

I am soooo excited I figured out how to get my really old sewing machine that we found on the side of the road to do a straight stitch and a zigzag stich. Seems super simple after I found the nob to make it work!

I am excited about finishing the leg warmers I started and starting on a pillow, but I got kinda sucked into the whole diaper thing. Now all the kids want leg warmers and I had to convince them they didn't need diapers
You know what I liked over velcro that I could p/u locally when I made dd dipes, snaptape. It's a bit spendy so I waited until I had a good coupon, or there was a 50% off notions sale.
post #58 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post


I'm also going to start working on making a quilt out of old t-shirts (I've been saving the t-shirts forever, so I have no excuses now!).
I found tshirts really hard to sew with in the beginning.They stretch.The first quilt I made was from t-shirts.UHG!I wish I had known it would have been way easier on me if I started with something less stretchy.
post #59 of 165
Okay. I just had to get on here and let you guys know that pics of the diaper wipes I made are on my blog.

http://swimming-duck.blogspot.com/

I'm really proud of these even though they're soooo far from perfect squares. But I feel thrifty since these aren't all that cheap to buy from WAHMs.
post #60 of 165
That's a great start brandnewmommy! I continue to make cloth wipes as I sew other things b/c I use them to practice my stitches on. Great way to see what a stitch looks like as well as add to my wipes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Arts & Crafts
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › The brand new to sewing tribe!