or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Calling those making a "one month" commitment to compacting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling those making a "one month" commitment to compacting - Page 2

post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post

But even buying clearance items is still buying new, and from a big box store. I think I will first try swapping around some shelves in my house, if that doesn't work I may find something used at thrift shops or craigslist, or I may buy a shelf from a local gift shop that sells locally made rustic furniture.
Oops- I should have done more research on compacting before posting or subbing!
post #22 of 52
I am in. I am aiming for the entire year so will certainly be here for one month.

Look forward to supporting everyone.

Elizabeth
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Alaska View Post
Oops- I should have done more research on compacting before posting or subbing!
That's alright. We're all hear to learn!
So will you be sticking around with us trying to compact?
post #24 of 52
i'm in for january. and i will take the money i save and put it on our debt.
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
That's alright. We're all hear to learn!
So will you be sticking around with us trying to compact?

Ohhh, Absolutley!! Sometimes the frugal side of me gets in the way of the (wanna be) simple side! I'm here for the challenge!!

I'm going to stop at Goodwill (and another local thrift shop) on my way home and see what they have in the way of cloth napkins. I'm going to ditch the paper napkins!!
post #26 of 52
Ok, I'm in for the month.
I want to do the 2008 in 2008 thing, so I'll simplifying and taking things to the Rescue Mission.
I am working on my menu for the month so as to limit grocery shopping- once a week for errands sounds good-- I'll just have to plan it out so I can hopefully get it done in the 2 hours my baby girl is awake between naps. Hm.
But driving is a big one for me--
Sundays: church 2 times (no, we can't cut that back), visit Grandma
Tuesday: Piano lessons (this is near the Rescue mission though)
Wednesday: visit Grandma, kids club @ church.
Every other Friday: Bible study
Any ideas on how to lesson this? I also have to do errands-- piano lessons is not near the bank or grocery store. We are Grandma's only grandchildren and she is in the nursing home- it wouldn't be right to cut that back.
We could cut back on the driving by staying near church/grandma on those days- but on Sunday that would be 2 meals and Wednesday 1 meal- but if I'm not buying fast food... ?
I have started paying bills online.

My exception: I got $100 for Christmas and I'm going to have a pampered chef party on the 29th to buy stoneware.
post #27 of 52
Thread Starter 
Dear Rachel,

I'm sorry ... wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.

As for not spending, I've made it through day #2 and have not spent one penny. Yea!!

Wish I could say I've done as good on my other goals. *lol*

Love,

Jen

No Spending Days: 2
post #28 of 52
Thread Starter 
Oh man ... I broke down today and spent $1.25 in the candy machine in our lobby.

I guess the only good thing about it is that it come out of my change jar instead of out of my January check [which I get on the 1st].

And, it was "food" - does that still count? *lol* Technically we are allowed to spend for food but I'm not sure the junk food part is included. ha! ha!

Love,

Jen

Have any of you ever thought of keeping track of every penny spent during a entire year?

I know it'd be hard to do but I'm sure that it would really open our eyes if we were to do that, ya know?
post #29 of 52
So far so good. I really have not had much of a temptation. The only thing I am wanting at the moment is a broiler pan for my oven which I have posted as wanted on my local freecyle list.

Elizabeth
post #30 of 52
Thread Starter 
Why is it that when you are determined not to spend that all of a sudden you find something you want [or have to have?]

I bought a really super soft throw blanket [the softest one I've ever felt] about 2 weeks ago.

This is an in-store special and I doubt they'll have them very long and I can either buy one now or I can wait and not find one again [you know how that goes, right?]

Ugh, what to do!!

This is gonna be a hard decision because I do want to make it a full month but at the same time when it is something that I know that I will get full use of for a long time to come [it's $9.99].

The first one I got, I bought for my cat [yes ... she's super spoiled! *lol*]

I guess I'm going to have to make a decision about whether to get this or not.

I do have $10.00 left from December that I haven't spent and that would pay for it so it wouldn't be out of January's money.

Still, I guess I'd be breaking the compacting rules for the month, wouldn't I?


I'm not going to run right over and buy it but I am thinking about it seriously only because I know how it goes and as I said - things like that, once they're gone, they're usually gone for good.

Okay ... I'm off to do some serious comtemplating!

Either way and I hope this doesn't sound like a cop-out or my trying to justify things but either way, I am still WAY more conscious of my spending than I usually am which is a good thing!

Love,

Jen [instead of Jen "the great" just call me Jen "the weak" ... *lol*]
post #31 of 52
Today I pulled out my wash tub... I normally wash dishes w/ running water, so this month I figure I can do it in a tub (it sits in the sink). I'm curious to see if this saves much on the water bill as well.
post #32 of 52
well, i am doing very well so far... i haven't bought anything at all so far. tomorrow we go grocery shopping, and i am challenging myself to use up pantry items and only really buy fresh fruit and veggies, to keep my bill low.

my dh, however, isn't completely on board with this compacting thing yet.. he has still gotten take out and bought a few little things.

but, i figure that even if just i keep my spending under control, it will make a difference.
post #33 of 52
Well, don't feel too bad, Jen, I went and broke the rules. I went and got new jeans and a suit set from steve and barry's since everything in the store is $8.98 AND because I have recently lost 4 sizes and only have 2 pairs of jeans that fit. I rarely ever buy retail clothes for myself. I always do thrift shops, but for my new trim figure, I just couldn't resist.
And my bum looks fabulous in my new pants.

Other than that, I'm back on and I will try really hard not to do it again.
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply_Jen View Post
Why is it that when you are determined not to spend that all of a sudden you find something you want [or have to have?]

I bought a really super soft throw blanket [the softest one I've ever felt] about 2 weeks ago.

This is an in-store special and I doubt they'll have them very long and I can either buy one now or I can wait and not find one again [you know how that goes, right?]

Ugh, what to do!!

This is gonna be a hard decision because I do want to make it a full month but at the same time when it is something that I know that I will get full use of for a long time to come [it's $9.99].

The first one I got, I bought for my cat [yes ... she's super spoiled! *lol*]

I guess I'm going to have to make a decision about whether to get this or not.

I do have $10.00 left from December that I haven't spent and that would pay for it so it wouldn't be out of January's money.

Still, I guess I'd be breaking the compacting rules for the month, wouldn't I?


I'm not going to run right over and buy it but I am thinking about it seriously only because I know how it goes and as I said - things like that, once they're gone, they're usually gone for good.

Okay ... I'm off to do some serious comtemplating!

Either way and I hope this doesn't sound like a cop-out or my trying to justify things but either way, I am still WAY more conscious of my spending than I usually am which is a good thing!

Love,

Jen [instead of Jen "the great" just call me Jen "the weak" ... *lol*]
Now Jen, you already have one super soft throw.. do ... you.. really need another one? How many other throws do you have? Think about it.

Just trying to help.
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4 View Post
well, i am doing very well so far... i haven't bought anything at all so far. tomorrow we go grocery shopping, and i am challenging myself to use up pantry items and only really buy fresh fruit and veggies, to keep my bill low.

my dh, however, isn't completely on board with this compacting thing yet.. he has still gotten take out and bought a few little things.

but, i figure that even if just i keep my spending under control, it will make a difference.
Good Shelley! Keep it up and use that pantry girl!!
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelagain View Post
Today I pulled out my wash tub... I normally wash dishes w/ running water, so this month I figure I can do it in a tub (it sits in the sink). I'm curious to see if this saves much on the water bill as well.
Good idea, Rachel. Let us know how it goes!
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelagain View Post
Ok, I'm in for the month.
I want to do the 2008 in 2008 thing, so I'll simplifying and taking things to the Rescue Mission.
I am working on my menu for the month so as to limit grocery shopping- once a week for errands sounds good-- I'll just have to plan it out so I can hopefully get it done in the 2 hours my baby girl is awake between naps. Hm.
But driving is a big one for me--
Sundays: church 2 times (no, we can't cut that back), visit Grandma
Tuesday: Piano lessons (this is near the Rescue mission though)
Wednesday: visit Grandma, kids club @ church.
Every other Friday: Bible study
Any ideas on how to lesson this? I also have to do errands-- piano lessons is not near the bank or grocery store. We are Grandma's only grandchildren and she is in the nursing home- it wouldn't be right to cut that back.
We could cut back on the driving by staying near church/grandma on those days- but on Sunday that would be 2 meals and Wednesday 1 meal- but if I'm not buying fast food... ?
I have started paying bills online.

My exception: I got $100 for Christmas and I'm going to have a pampered chef party on the 29th to buy stoneware.
The only thing that I can think of is you are going to church an awful lot, is there no one in your church that lives near your neighborhood that you could perhaps swap carpooling with? Also, instead of the rescue mission, sometimes you can find places that will pick up donations like purple heart, so you dont have to drive your clutter anywhere.
post #38 of 52
Well, I broke down and bought lunch today while I was at work. I'd forgotten my lunch, and was totally starving. I did pick the cheapest place that was within walking distance, but still I felt bad. I'm going to bring some cans of soup or something up to work so that I will have food there if I forget again.
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
Well, I broke down and bought lunch today while I was at work. I'd forgotten my lunch, and was totally starving. I did pick the cheapest place that was within walking distance, but still I felt bad. I'm going to bring some cans of soup or something up to work so that I will have food there if I forget again.

Hey-- at least you walked there, right?
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
The only thing that I can think of is you are going to church an awful lot, is there no one in your church that lives near your neighborhood that you could perhaps swap carpooling with? Also, instead of the rescue mission, sometimes you can find places that will pick up donations like purple heart, so you dont have to drive your clutter anywhere.
Um, not really. lol We are a family of 6-- we can squeeze one more person in our mini van, so yeah, carpooling is out-- and when we do, we pick up a single gal that doesn't drive due to disabilities.
We are very involved in church, yes, but dh runs the sound and we are both in choir and that's just not something we're willing to cut back on.
Thanks though. I will have to see if I can schedule a pick up at my house-- that should get me getting rid of more stuff anyway- good motivation!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Calling those making a "one month" commitment to compacting