or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Happy New Year Compactors! January thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Happy New Year Compactors! January thread - Page 2

post #21 of 124
Well, day 1 and I fell off the wagon. We went to Ikea. The plan was to go to lunch then DD go to smaland while I checked As-Is (there are a couple of specific items I'm looking for in as-is, which I consider an exception because the stuff is basically secondhand/damaged and many stores would just chuck it rather than sell it at reduced price). But Smaland was full, so DD came with me to check as-is, then still wanted to play, so I let her go to Smaland since it was too late to go to the zoo, and while she was in there, I perused Ikea and came away with 2 items for redecorating DD's room, which I plan to do to lure her back into sleeping there.

They were NOT in As-is.

Next time, I'm just gonna sit in the coffee shop while DD is in Smaland. Oy.
post #22 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
Well, day 1 and I fell off the wagon. We went to Ikea. The plan was to go to lunch then DD go to smaland while I checked As-Is (there are a couple of specific items I'm looking for in as-is, which I consider an exception because the stuff is basically secondhand/damaged and many stores would just chuck it rather than sell it at reduced price). But Smaland was full, so DD came with me to check as-is, then still wanted to play, so I let her go to Smaland since it was too late to go to the zoo, and while she was in there, I perused Ikea and came away with 2 items for redecorating DD's room, which I plan to do to lure her back into sleeping there.

They were NOT in As-is.

Next time, I'm just gonna sit in the coffee shop while DD is in Smaland. Oy.

oh, Ikea is so hard to walk away from. We dont have one nearby, but one is coming this spring. uh-oh.
I stayed home today and manage to declutter a bit of kitchen stuff. I realize I have alot of decluttering to do in this house and I'm going to try to get some help with some of it from dh tomorrow. I didn't buy anything today.
post #23 of 124
Where to draw the line is where I am already struggling. I am trying to eliminate chemicals, go green, etc. But to make a change. I need to purchase items. For example I am in a mama pad co-op (this one was in my exceptions though ) On one hand I am buying something "new". On the other hand, I am changing from disposables and I am helping a wahm..Now I find out how horrible dryer sheets are. I "could" stop buying them and change to something else, but that would break my compact So confused..this is hard..
post #24 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAnt View Post
The Compact
1) to go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of U.S. consumer culture, to resist global corporatism, and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact
2) to reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er)
3) to simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)
So, here goes for the rules:
•First principle - don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
•Second principle - borrow or buy used.

Many people come up with a list of their own exceptions, particularly for work and health items (perhaps including pillows or shoes or car tires if needed).
thanks for 411.....I'm in!

kind of feels like cheating a bit, since christmas just passed, but I do most of these thing already.


I need to purchase a gift for my dd....who will be birthing soon

other than that i can freecycle or buy at resale IF I need anything.

I do want emotional help decluttering and getting rid of unused mounds of stuff. Its gotten to the point that it is emotionally overwhelming.

so, for the month, I am in. we'll take it from there. Thanks mamas! this could be just what we here need.
post #25 of 124
Thread Starter 
Day 2 and things are going well. I was about to go out and buy my mil a birthday card like I do every year, but instead had dd draw a pic. That would have been a quick $3+ since I always end up buying more at Target.
post #26 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
Well, day 1 and I fell off the wagon. We went to Ikea. The plan was to go to lunch then DD go to smaland while I checked As-Is (there are a couple of specific items I'm looking for in as-is, which I consider an exception because the stuff is basically secondhand/damaged and many stores would just chuck it rather than sell it at reduced price). But Smaland was full, so DD came with me to check as-is, then still wanted to play, so I let her go to Smaland since it was too late to go to the zoo, and while she was in there, I perused Ikea and came away with 2 items for redecorating DD's room, which I plan to do to lure her back into sleeping there.

They were NOT in As-is.

Next time, I'm just gonna sit in the coffee shop while DD is in Smaland. Oy.
I am so glad there isn't an Ikea anywhere close to me! That would be my downfall for sure. I think you hit on something so key though. I am planning to avoid all big box stores, and only go into stores for very specific purposes without DD. I'll be able to get through stores quicker without her, and she won't see toys and other tantrum illiciting things. Beyond that though, I'm getting off of all store email and paper catalog lists. If I don't SEE it, then I don't WANT it - especially during the ever-tempting 70% off Christmas sales.
post #27 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
Where to draw the line is where I am already struggling. I am trying to eliminate chemicals, go green, etc. But to make a change. I need to purchase items. For example I am in a mama pad co-op (this one was in my exceptions though ) On one hand I am buying something "new". On the other hand, I am changing from disposables and I am helping a wahm..Now I find out how horrible dryer sheets are. I "could" stop buying them and change to something else, but that would break my compact So confused..this is hard..
Perhaps I'm not thinking about this as strictly as some might, but I see those purchases as completely acceptable. If you are setting your home up for reusable and ecologically-sound cleaning, then you are avoiding countless negative environmental impacts in the future.
post #28 of 124
I'm in. I didn't realize this had a name. I just started a blog about this--it's linked in my sig.

It's an exciting challenge, isn't it?

:
post #29 of 124
I am so proud of me. I badly need new clothes, I seldom check the thrift shops because they seem to only have ugly clothes in my size. Well today I decided to check it when my older kids were with g'ma. Tey had changed the layout which made it so much easier. I checked out the clothes on the 50% of rack, most were my size, my style and in next to new condition. talk about coincidence. I redid my whole wardrobe(new skirts,pants, shirts,a sweater and nice 2 pce outfit) all for only $22.40. Yesterday I had bought nothing. So day 2 and nothing new from retail, just used.
post #30 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by swellmomma View Post
I am so proud of me. I badly need new clothes, I seldom check the thrift shops because they seem to only have ugly clothes in my size. Well today I decided to check it when my older kids were with g'ma. Tey had changed the layout which made it so much easier. I checked out the clothes on the 50% of rack, most were my size, my style and in next to new condition. talk about coincidence. I redid my whole wardrobe(new skirts,pants, shirts,a sweater and nice 2 pce outfit) all for only $22.40. Yesterday I had bought nothing. So day 2 and nothing new from retail, just used.
Nice! Where did you go? I'm on the hunt for another good thrift store.
post #31 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
Nice! Where did you go? I'm on the hunt for another good thrift store.
The Sally Ann aka salvation army. I go there often but seldom actually look in the women's clothes. Now that they have reorganized the location I go to and put the 50% clothes separate formteh rest of the many rows I was more inclined to look. so glad I did.
post #32 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by swellmomma View Post
The Sally Ann aka salvation army. I go there often but seldom actually look in the women's clothes. Now that they have reorganized the location I go to and put the 50% clothes separate formteh rest of the many rows I was more inclined to look. so glad I did.
The one on Whyte?
post #33 of 124
Oh, how do you mamas feel about this:

I have a few clothes that are looking old and dingy. Sometimes I'll round them up and buy a box of dye and spruce them up. I'd need two different colours. I have one box I can return and get one that I need in exchange. What about the second box? Is it Compact-friendly to buy it if it means that I'm giving new life to our old clothes?

Or should I try to swap for some on one of the swaps here?

I'll put out a plea on Freecycle and see if anything turns up.
post #34 of 124
I am in. Family and some friends think we are crazy. But who cares. I don't. I look forward to getting to know all of you!!!
post #35 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
Oh, how do you mamas feel about this:

I have a few clothes that are looking old and dingy. Sometimes I'll round them up and buy a box of dye and spruce them up. I'd need two different colours. I have one box I can return and get one that I need in exchange. What about the second box? Is it Compact-friendly to buy it if it means that I'm giving new life to our old clothes?

Or should I try to swap for some on one of the swaps here?

I'll put out a plea on Freecycle and see if anything turns up.
Yeah, so I begged on Freecycle and got an email from someone saying I could get some at the dollar store. Thanks.
post #36 of 124
Yesterday I went to the Hope Hospice Thrift store on my way home and bought 35 cloth napkins... I'm ditching the paper after my package is empty and I've washed these!!

My sister and her kids were over for dinner and my 11 year old nephew and 13 year old neice was cool with it until they found out the (future) cloth napkins were from a thrift store. SOooo many of the napkins look BRAND new so I may fib and say that.... My nephew said he's wipe his hands on something from the thrift store, but not his face!! What a goofy kid!!
post #37 of 124

Can we use new raw materials??

What do you think? Can we get yarn, lumber, paper from stores, or do we have to get paper and lumber from freecycle, and go to thrift stores and buy sweaters to unravel and get the yarn?

Does it violate the spirit of Compacting to buy new supplies to make things that you will use for a long time, or give away as a gift?
post #38 of 124
I think the choice to buy raw materials is up to the individual compactor. As far as I know there are no real rules for compacting. I personally am going to use up all of my fabric and yarn before I entertain buying more, so basically I can make it through all of 2008 without shopping for raw materials. I think if you ask around on freecycle and family/friends you'll be surprised at how many people have a heap of yarn and material just hanging around and no inclination to use it.
post #39 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
The one on Whyte?

nope st. albert. I have not been to the one on whyte, is it a good one? OF course it does nothing for my decluttering if I keep shopping lol I take it you are in Edmonton too, cool.
post #40 of 124
:

So far so good!
Although, tonight, DH is taking me to a movie We had a memorable (in a not so good way) New Years and he wants to make it up to me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Happy New Year Compactors! January thread