or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Women of Color #12
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Women of Color #12 - Page 132

post #2621 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~gilli~ View Post
Good morning everyone!

So, I started playing music again! I had a gig with my band for Cinco de Mayo, and I'm standing at the bar with the drummer. After the gig, I noticed people looking my way because I was all that...nope! Just staring at the HUGE milk stain on my red shirt! : So much for thinking I was cute,lol!
That is too funny!
Congrats on gigging again. That is wonderful

I, too have thought about locs. My hair is growing back in after my health issues. My plan is to sport an afro this summer and then transition to locs after months of conditioning. I'm fortunate in that I live close to philly where there are plenty of natural stylists and loctians.
post #2622 of 2776

Brooklyn Mamas

There will be a breastfeeding awareness brunch at Restoration Plaza tomorrow(Fri) from 11am-1:30p.m.

1368 Fulton St
Brooklyn, NY 11216
post #2623 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurmama8 View Post


Bloomingstar can I just say you are freaking beautiful!! You have a cute little family.

Back on topic:

My mother started her own locks about 9 years ago. They aren't organic locs but they are kind of small and they are down to her butt. Half of my family is Rastafarian and they have organic locs that are just beautiful. I think I will lock at some point then cut it off and start all over again with the fro.
awww thank you so much!

So do any of you cloth diaper your LOs? I decided to just do it! I'd gotten some before the baby was born but I was sooo wiped out after the birth and it was still freezing and we have to use a laundromat so...disposables it was. Then he outgrew everything! I sold the stuff I had online and got ones he'll fit. I just got back from the laundromat--been there all day prepping the prefolds--and there were two older ladies there who figured out that the things I had were diapers and the were reminiscing about cloth diapering with the gerber flat ones. Part of me was terrified someone would sound an alarm about me washing diapers but they were nice. I have a sprayer and a contraption called a wonder washer to use before taking things to the laundromat anyway.

All that to say: do you all cloth diaper and does everyone think you're a nut or say "good luck" with lots of snark? Older women--my stepmother, the laundromat ladies--are nice but anyone under 40, forget it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post
There will be a breastfeeding awareness brunch at Restoration Plaza tomorrow(Fri) from 11am-1:30p.m.

1368 Fulton St
Brooklyn, NY 11216
where in there is it? I think I will try to make it!
post #2624 of 2776

New Here!

Hello, Ladies. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm still not quite sure if MDC is the place for me, but for an intro post, the "Women of Color" thread is a no-brainer.

I'm from and currently live in Chicago and have been married to DH for 5 years. Currently, we have no children, but if the plumbing works, we plan on making the steps to change that by the end of this year. We will both be "older" first-time parents--I'll be 36 this year and DH will be 40--but that is not at all unusual for the line of work I am in (I'm in academia). I hate labels, and eschew subscribing to any "philosophies," so I do not anticipate becoming an "AP" parent or a "mainstream" parent. I definitely plan on trying to breastfeed (and I have a lot of family support since both my mother and my MIL breastfed their babies), I might try cloth diapers (my mother used them on me), and I will definitely be a WOH momma. However, that's about all I can say at this point. I'll just tackle the other stuff when it gets here.

I stopped taking the pill a few weeks ago and am learning how to track my fertility, so I'm really quite excited! I never desired kids until now, but for job-related reasons we still have to delay until the fall/winter to begin to TTC. I can't wait!

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Sorry I can't contribute to the current hair conversation because I have a relaxer and love it! (Can I say that here? ) My hair is shoulder-length and in fantastic shape, so if any sisters out there want tips on how to keep relaxed hair healthy, I can help!

Oh, and DH and I are both Af-Am---did I say that?
post #2625 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin View Post
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm still not quite sure if MDC is the place for me,
Welcome Sorin. There are many times when I am not sure if MDC is the place for me, but I learn so much by lurking.

I always begin to respond to posts, but I don't have the time or inclination to write a thesis to a question about a two year old, so I cancel my reply and continue with my lurking.
post #2626 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin View Post
Hello, Ladies. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm still not quite sure if MDC is the place for me, but for an intro post, the "Women of Color" thread is a no-brainer.

I'm from and currently live in Chicago and have been married to DH for 5 years. Currently, we have no children, but if the plumbing works, we plan on making the steps to change that by the end of this year. We will both be "older" first-time parents--I'll be 36 this year and DH will be 40--but that is not at all unusual for the line of work I am in (I'm in academia). I hate labels, and eschew subscribing to any "philosophies," so I do not anticipate becoming an "AP" parent or a "mainstream" parent. I definitely plan on trying to breastfeed (and I have a lot of family support since both my mother and my MIL breastfed their babies), I might try cloth diapers (my mother used them on me), and I will definitely be a WOH momma. However, that's about all I can say at this point. I'll just tackle the other stuff when it gets here.

I stopped taking the pill a few weeks ago and am learning how to track my fertility, so I'm really quite excited! I never desired kids until now, but for job-related reasons we still have to delay until the fall/winter to begin to TTC. I can't wait!

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Sorry I can't contribute to the current hair conversation because I have a relaxer and love it! (Can I say that here? ) My hair is shoulder-length and in fantastic shape, so if any sisters out there want tips on how to keep relaxed hair healthy, I can help!

Oh, and DH and I are both Af-Am---did I say that?
Welcome:
post #2627 of 2776
Hello mommas! I haven't been here much but I am stopping by to say hi and check in. I am moving to Dallas, TX from St. Louis, MO next week and it's so chaotic right now!!!!
post #2628 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post
Hello mommas! I haven't been here much but I am stopping by to say hi and check in. I am moving to Dallas, TX from St. Louis, MO next week and it's so chaotic right now!!!!

Wow! good luck mama. Check in when you are able.
post #2629 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post
awww thank you so much!

So do any of you cloth diaper your LOs? I decided to just do it! I'd gotten some before the baby was born but I was sooo wiped out after the birth and it was still freezing and we have to use a laundromat so...disposables it was. Then he outgrew everything! I sold the stuff I had online and got ones he'll fit. I just got back from the laundromat--been there all day prepping the prefolds--and there were two older ladies there who figured out that the things I had were diapers and the were reminiscing about cloth diapering with the gerber flat ones. Part of me was terrified someone would sound an alarm about me washing diapers but they were nice. I have a sprayer and a contraption called a wonder washer to use before taking things to the laundromat anyway.

All that to say: do you all cloth diaper and does everyone think you're a nut or say "good luck" with lots of snark? Older women--my stepmother, the laundromat ladies--are nice but anyone under 40, forget it!




where in there is it? I think I will try to make it!
Bloominstar the breastfeeding awareness event is at Restoration Plaza www.restorationplaza.org 1368 Fulton St Brooklyn, NY 11216.

I do cloth diaper and I haven't gotten any ill responses. Some people that I know think that I'm "weird" anyway, so. Once while at the park a 20 something yr old lady figured out that I was CD DS and asked me about it. She was quite interested. Me, I pretty much have a don't care attitude. People are going to say what they say, but they don't live my life KWIM? I'm not CD DS anymore because I don't have the funds for a stash right now. I CD Safiyyah, but sometimes I do put sposies on her if I'm feeling really tired/lazy.
post #2630 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
Welcome Sorin.

I always begin to respond to posts, but I don't have the time or inclination to write a thesis to a question about a two year old, so I cancel my reply and continue with my lurking.
You sound like me

WELCOME Sorin
I hope the move goes well Ishereal
post #2631 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post
So do any of you cloth diaper your LOs? I decided to just do it! I'd gotten some before the baby was born but I was sooo wiped out after the birth and it was still freezing and we have to use a laundromat so...disposables it was. Then he outgrew everything! I sold the stuff I had online and got ones he'll fit. I just got back from the laundromat--been there all day prepping the prefolds--and there were two older ladies there who figured out that the things I had were diapers and the were reminiscing about cloth diapering with the gerber flat ones. Part of me was terrified someone would sound an alarm about me washing diapers but they were nice. I have a sprayer and a contraption called a wonder washer to use before taking things to the laundromat anyway.

All that to say: do you all cloth diaper and does everyone think you're a nut or say "good luck" with lots of snark? Older women--my stepmother, the laundromat ladies--are nice but anyone under 40, forget it!



Well my babies are out of diapers but I did use cloth, never got any flack from anyone. I don't really have any family aside from my Dad and brother and neither ever said much one way or the other. As far as others, most of the parents I know are into cloth so it wasn't a biggie. I suppose if my Mama were alive she probably would have thought it curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin View Post
Hello, Ladies. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm still not quite sure if MDC is the place for me, but for an intro post, the "Women of Color" thread is a no-brainer.

I'm from and currently live in Chicago and have been married to DH for 5 years. Currently, we have no children, but if the plumbing works, we plan on making the steps to change that by the end of this year. We will both be "older" first-time parents--I'll be 36 this year and DH will be 40--but that is not at all unusual for the line of work I am in (I'm in academia). I hate labels, and eschew subscribing to any "philosophies," so I do not anticipate becoming an "AP" parent or a "mainstream" parent. I definitely plan on trying to breastfeed (and I have a lot of family support since both my mother and my MIL breastfed their babies), I might try cloth diapers (my mother used them on me), and I will definitely be a WOH momma. However, that's about all I can say at this point. I'll just tackle the other stuff when it gets here.

I stopped taking the pill a few weeks ago and am learning how to track my fertility, so I'm really quite excited! I never desired kids until now, but for job-related reasons we still have to delay until the fall/winter to begin to TTC. I can't wait!

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Sorry I can't contribute to the current hair conversation because I have a relaxer and love it! (Can I say that here? ) My hair is shoulder-length and in fantastic shape, so if any sisters out there want tips on how to keep relaxed hair healthy, I can help!

Oh, and DH and I are both Af-Am---did I say that?
Welcome! : Chicago is my hometown, I left 7 years ago, still miss it. Nothing wrong with a relaxer, I had one for years and my hair was actually in great shape when relaxed, I stopped relaxing partially because I was planning to move to Maine which meant no shop to go to, also was tired of spending a ton of cash on my hair. However as I like to say when I was relaxed, my hair stayed straight and I mean that in both ways. Overall I like my locks but sometimes miss the bob I used to rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post
Hello mommas! I haven't been here much but I am stopping by to say hi and check in. I am moving to Dallas, TX from St. Louis, MO next week and it's so chaotic right now!!!!
Happy moving! May it go safe and not be too stressful.

I'm doing well, just a minor bout of depression but have started taking yoga which is nice. Its mostly financial woes that have me down but it will pass. The farmers market opens this weekend so I am getting excited, otherwise I am hanging in there.

Shay
post #2632 of 2776
It's good to hear all of you are doing well, I am nervous about the move. I have to find like minded mothers that I can link up with and I think I have given up on trying to find like minded w.o.c (sad but true) .......
post #2633 of 2776
hi ladies--

Just wanted to introduce myself--new member (joined in March but only just got around to posting today). I'm not even a mom yet---but we're planning on adding to our family in the next couple of years. I am currently a full-time student--I worked for several years in the DC area.

What else . .. oh yes--I am a woman of color--born and raised in LA, but have lived a lot of different places--and my dh and I are currently living in NC.

Happy to see this section of the board---now I need to go and read to catch up!
post #2634 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
It is impossible to actually remove a relaxer/permanment/or any chemical from the hair, because it pentrates the cortex and changes the structure of the hair shaft. Using vinegar is actually further breaking down the hair causing it to dry out even more and it appears to be of a texture similar to relaxed hair.

Yinsum is correct in saying that you will need a lot of moisture on your hair, otherwise it will break off unevenely and force you to do the bigh chop that you are dreading.
Yes--the only thing I use vinegar for (specifically very diluted apple cider vinegar) is to either further neutralize my hair after relaxer application and---every once in a while to clarify--but yeah, the moisture/protein balance is definitely the key. Many have too little or too much of one or the other causing breakage.

I am sort of into hair---here is my hair album: http://members.fotki.com/DanaBash/about/

I am relaxed---mild only---but I have wrestled with whether or not to go natural. There are some great hair albums out there with ladies who are natural that talk a lot about what products/techniques to use to help the transition.
post #2635 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaDane View Post
hi ladies--

Just wanted to introduce myself--new member (joined in March but only just got around to posting today). I'm not even a mom yet---but we're planning on adding to our family in the next couple of years. I am currently a full-time student--I worked for several years in the DC area.

What else . .. oh yes--I am a woman of color--born and raised in LA, but have lived a lot of different places--and my dh and I are currently living in NC.

Happy to see this section of the board---now I need to go and read to catch up!
welcome.
post #2636 of 2776

Happy mother's day!

happy mother's day to all! it's been fun catching up - welcome to the new mamas, and those new to this thread. hope everyone's day is full of laughs and love!

http://web3.twitpic.com/img/8267226-...6f4be-full.jpg
post #2637 of 2776
Happy Mother's Day!
post #2638 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~gilli~ View Post
Good morning everyone!

So, I started playing music again! I had a gig with my band for Cinco de Mayo, and I'm standing at the bar with the drummer. After the gig, I noticed people looking my way because I was all that...nope! Just staring at the HUGE milk stain on my red shirt! : So much for thinking I was cute,lol!
LOL. Too funny! I've had a couple incidents like that myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
Welcome Sorin. There are many times when I am not sure if MDC is the place for me, but I learn so much by lurking.
I feel the same way sometimes. I was just thinking today about taking a break - at least from posting. But I do learn a lot from reading many of the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorin View Post
Hello, Ladies. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm still not quite sure if MDC is the place for me, but for an intro post, the "Women of Color" thread is a no-brainer.

I'm from and currently live in Chicago and have been married to DH for 5 years. Currently, we have no children, but if the plumbing works, we plan on making the steps to change that by the end of this year. We will both be "older" first-time parents--I'll be 36 this year and DH will be 40--but that is not at all unusual for the line of work I am in (I'm in academia). I hate labels, and eschew subscribing to any "philosophies," so I do not anticipate becoming an "AP" parent or a "mainstream" parent. I definitely plan on trying to breastfeed (and I have a lot of family support since both my mother and my MIL breastfed their babies), I might try cloth diapers (my mother used them on me), and I will definitely be a WOH momma. However, that's about all I can say at this point. I'll just tackle the other stuff when it gets here.
Welcome! What part of the chicago area are you in? DH and I currently are in the west suburbs...I'm always looking for some new friends Heck - just ONE friend really...we just moved here about 10 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post
Hello mommas! I haven't been here much but I am stopping by to say hi and check in. I am moving to Dallas, TX from St. Louis, MO next week and it's so chaotic right now!!!!
Good luck on your move! I used to live in the STL area and really miss it. The city has a lot of good things to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
I'm doing well, just a minor bout of depression but have started taking yoga which is nice. Its mostly financial woes that have me down but it will pass. The farmers market opens this weekend so I am getting excited, otherwise I am hanging in there. Shay
I'm glad you're feeling better. I've been in the same boat...had finally found a therapist that I liked, but now I can't afford her But getting outside with the baby has really helped. I hope things get better for you soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaDane View Post
hi ladies--

Just wanted to introduce myself--new member (joined in March but only just got around to posting today). I'm not even a mom yet---but we're planning on adding to our family in the next couple of years. I am currently a full-time student--I worked for several years in the DC area.

What else . .. oh yes--I am a woman of color--born and raised in LA, but have lived a lot of different places--and my dh and I are currently living in NC.

Happy to see this section of the board---now I need to go and read to catch up!
Welcome!!


AFM - These two months are super busy for me...just got back from Iowa for my brother's college graduation ( and now only 3 weeks or so until TX for my BF's wedding, then my bro's wedding in MN the following week. I'm starting to get that uncomforable pregnant feeling...not even in teh 3rd tri yet...will be 22 weeks on Wednesday. Anywho, I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day!
post #2639 of 2776
Welcome Dana

Madsommer
, s. I totally know how you feel about the uncomfortable pregnancy feeling. I'm totally with you on "I will go back to school some day". I graduated HS in 1993, they actually had my HS reunion this weekend, but I didn't attend. I have 113 college credits, but right now I'm just raising my children. So, like you 'I will go back to school some day'
post #2640 of 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post
Madsommer, s. I totally know how you feel about the uncomfortable pregnancy feeling. I'm totally with you on "I will go back to school some day". I graduated HS in 1993, they actually had my HS reunion this weekend, but I didn't attend. I have 113 college credits, but right now I'm just raising my children. So, like you 'I will go back to school some day'
Yeah...most days I don't think about it because I enjoy being home with my son soooo much and I'm so thankful that I get the opportunity to do so. It's just every once in a while when I feel like I'm being marginalized because I don't have a degree, or when my younger brother finishes before me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Connect With Other Moms
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Women of Color #12