or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Birth Professionals › Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!! - Page 8

post #141 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post
Sooo--I'm waiting for the fall 2008/spring 2009 conference dates to come out.
MSTM offers a weekend retreat in August if you're interested. Joyce and I are planning to attend. You don't have to be a midwife to be there. Here is last year's info:

http://traditionalmidwife.com/07.html


post #142 of 1798
Jumping on board this thread with my intro...

I'm Ashley, 29, four kiddos~ 8, 6, 4, and 18mos (all born at home). I'm currently at Frontier in the ADN-MSN Bridge program. I'll start actual midwifery stuff this spring. I work at a free-standing birth center as an RN...it!!

Well that's me. Thanks for re-starting this thread!!
post #143 of 1798
birthdance! I'm wondering if you work at the birth center where my dear friend is planning to give birth in May. She just moved to the triange area from Indiana.

birthisawesome- I'm hoping to attend the Christian Midwives Intl conference here in Indiana. It's April 30-May 3... Shonda Parker, Jan Tritten of MT and others will be there. It's only a 45 minute drive for me (I go to that area for births) and lodging/meals are included in the conference price so it's a good deal. My big issue is being separated from my kids that long... and dd2 is still nursing so I have to figure that out. I wish I could go to the Trust Birth conference but it's just too far and too much money for me right now (travel, lodging etc)...
post #144 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
birthdance! I'm wondering if you work at the birth center where my dear friend is planning to give birth in May. She just moved to the triange area from Indiana.
Yup! We're the only free-standing bc in NC. I'd love to be her nurse!!
post #145 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
Yup! We're the only free-standing bc in NC. I'd love to be her nurse!!
Cool! She's really excited about a BC birth after three hospital births. She posts here sometimes on MDC, I'll have to let her know you're here.
post #146 of 1798
There is also the MANA conference in MI. Oct 16-19. I'm planning to attend that one and/or the MSTM retreat that Jen mentioned.
post #147 of 1798
Is anyone here becoming a CNM vs. CPM? And how have you found your program? CPMs are illegal in Illinois & since I'm already an RN I've decided to go the CNM route. I'm starting to become nervous, though, about the program & if it will meet my needs. I want to attend homebirths & from what I understand, most CNM programs don't even touch on this arena. So any CNM students out there? What are your thoughts?
post #148 of 1798
Hey wonderful women! Guess where I just got back from? Birth #2!!!! I'm running on 40 min. of sleep. I got to be primary/only assistant for this birth. It went very smoothly and beautifully. One interesting thing that I witnessed: The BOW was bulging out while she was pushing. The baby had passed some mec and I could see it swirling around in the water! Babe was vigorous though gurgley. Pinked up great. So no ill effects of the mec. It was just kinda neat to see. Biggest thing I learned: That it wasn't her mucous plug, it was the outer layer of the amniotic sac that had burst and was coming out. The inner layer was still intact. It seriously looked like a long thick mucous glob. Oops!

Send patient vibes for my dh if you would. He was freaking out on me when I was leaving. He apologized when I got home. Even though he's supportive of me in his mind and words when we talk about it, I think the reality of it is going to be a big adjustment. I drove to the birth thinking that I wouldn't be able to continue with this. Everything worked out fine and he only missed an hour of work. He just gets really stressed about money, etc. Just think some positive thoughts; say some prayers for him please!

Kids are watching a movie so I'm gonna crash on the couch for a few minutes. Have a wonderful day!
post #149 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
Is anyone here becoming a CNM vs. CPM? And how have you found your program? CPMs are illegal in Illinois & since I'm already an RN I've decided to go the CNM route. I'm starting to become nervous, though, about the program & if it will meet my needs. I want to attend homebirths & from what I understand, most CNM programs don't even touch on this arena. So any CNM students out there? What are your thoughts?
Hi Stephanie-

I am becoming a CNM; there a few of us on here. From my understanding Illinois is a hard place for CNMs (or anyone, obviously) to attend homebirths. In other states it is easier. I am hoping eventually to incorporate homebirth into my practice here in Oregon, where there are CNMs very legally doing homebirth, but most often without insurance.

Can you ask the midwives in the program you are looking at about it?

Sarah
post #150 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
One interesting thing that I witnessed: The BOW was bulging out while she was pushing. The baby had passed some mec and I could see it swirling around in the water! Babe was vigorous though gurgley. Pinked up great. So no ill effects of the mec. It was just kinda neat to see. Biggest thing I learned: That it wasn't her mucous plug, it was the outer layer of the amniotic sac that had burst and was coming out. The inner layer was still intact. It seriously looked like a long thick mucous glob. Oops!
Kids are watching a movie so I'm gonna crash on the couch for a few minutes. Have a wonderful day!
Wow!! That would be very cool to see. Did you have to break the BOW? I'm sure we'll learn something new at each birth! Hope you get some sleep!! I think my hubby will be the same way about me leaving while he is at work. I have a great network of neighbors that I might have to rely on! Most are SAHMs.


post #151 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
The BOW was bulging out while she was pushing. The baby had passed some mec and I could see it swirling around in the water!
I've seen this before, but in my case, the whole baby's head was born in the caul with old meconium-stained waters floating around the head in the bag...it is pretty cool looking! (The bag broke on it's own as the body was born).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
Send patient vibes for my dh if you would. He was freaking out on me when I was leaving. He apologized when I got home. Even though he's supportive of me in his mind and words when we talk about it, I think the reality of it is going to be a big adjustment. I drove to the birth thinking that I wouldn't be able to continue with this. Everything worked out fine and he only missed an hour of work. He just gets really stressed about money, etc. Just think some positive thoughts; say some prayers for him please!
It is hard on husbands. It has taken mine quite a while to adjust. No amount of talking before hand can prepare them for the craziness of being married to a midwife.
post #152 of 1798
Lennon, I just read your blog! (found it linked from your preceptor's blog)

I am amazed at just how much your birth philosophy is like mine. Same opinions on a lot of things!

I really hope I can find a preceptor that I agree with. I'll be lucky to get one at all, but I'm thinking it may be a hard internship when I believe in hands-off midwifery and am with a midwife that does not.
post #153 of 1798
I really need to start posting again on my blog. it has been so long. I've just been having a hard time finding a cohert thought to post about as I am in a whirlwind of thoughts lately, with so much going on.

But, thanks! I'm glad you like it!
post #154 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
Is anyone here becoming a CNM vs. CPM? And how have you found your program? CPMs are illegal in Illinois & since I'm already an RN I've decided to go the CNM route. I'm starting to become nervous, though, about the program & if it will meet my needs. I want to attend homebirths & from what I understand, most CNM programs don't even touch on this arena. So any CNM students out there? What are your thoughts?
Me! Me!

One of our faculty has a home/hospital birth practice and they try to rotate all of us through her practice as part of our clinicals specifically to get us OOH birth experience.
post #155 of 1798
Hi all

I'm Laura, 41, mom to 14yo ds1, 4yo dd, 2yo ds2. I started as an apprentice on ds2's 2nd birthday with the midwives who were with me for his birth! I'm part of an informal midwifery study group that meets twice a month. So far I'm not planning on following anything more formal or structured but I'm open to however the path unfolds. I attend a day of prenatals twice a month, at present I am not planning on attending any births until 2009 because I am still nursing my youngest and I want him to have the same chance at that as his siblings. My dh is supportive, and he works from home so I'm hoping that will work well for our family. I was actually present at the birth of my friends baby last summer, which actually pushed me into asking for an apprenticeship. I have reluctantly come to accept that I do actually have a calling to midwifery but I was a long time in coming to accept that!

It's nice to see that there are so many out there on the many paths to midwifery.
post #156 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarahb View Post
Hi Stephanie-

I am becoming a CNM; there a few of us on here. From my understanding Illinois is a hard place for CNMs (or anyone, obviously) to attend homebirths. In other states it is easier. I am hoping eventually to incorporate homebirth into my practice here in Oregon, where there are CNMs very legally doing homebirth, but most often without insurance.

Can you ask the midwives in the program you are looking at about it?

Sarah
Thanks, Sarah. I actually called the program's advisory office today but could only speak with a nursing student who worked in the office. He answered a few of my more basic questions but I really need to talk with one of the program coordinators or something!?

I go back & forth 5 times a day on whether I want to go the CNM vs CPM route. Today I'm back to wanting the CNM. Even though all the statistics & theory & research doesn't thrill me, I'm excited about taking more patho & pharm & learning total well-woman care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma earthical View Post
Hi all

I'm Laura, 41, mom to 14yo ds1, 4yo dd, 2yo ds2. I started as an apprentice on ds2's 2nd birthday with the midwives who were with me for his birth! I'm part of an informal midwifery study group that meets twice a month. So far I'm not planning on following anything more formal or structured but I'm open to however the path unfolds. I attend a day of prenatals twice a month, at present I am not planning on attending any births until 2009 because I am still nursing my youngest and I want him to have the same chance at that as his siblings. My dh is supportive, and he works from home so I'm hoping that will work well for our family. I was actually present at the birth of my friends baby last summer, which actually pushed me into asking for an apprenticeship. I have reluctantly come to accept that I do actually have a calling to midwifery but I was a long time in coming to accept that!

It's nice to see that there are so many out there on the many paths to midwifery.

Hi Laura! I, too, was excited to find this group & read about everyone's individual paths. And I love that midwifery is a calling that is accepted later in life. I'm 36 & probably won't be practicing until the age of 41 or 42....and that's perfectly ok with me.
post #157 of 1798
OH MY GOSH you guys! I have to tell you something so funny! I was sitting down just now to write an e-mail and Sydney (my 5 year old) picks up Bailliere's Midwives' Dictionary. She turns to the page on Caldwell-Moloy's classification of pelvises and says, "Look mom! Stingrays!!"


post #158 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
OH MY GOSH you guys! I have to tell you something so funny! I was sitting down just now to write an e-mail and Sydney (my 5 year old) picks up Bailliere's Midwives' Dictionary. She turns to the page on Caldwell-Moloy's classification of pelvises and says, "Look mom! Stingrays!!"


That is hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru
I go back & forth 5 times a day on whether I want to go the CNM vs CPM route. Today I'm back to wanting the CNM. Even though all the statistics & theory & research doesn't thrill me, I'm excited about taking more patho & pharm & learning total well-woman care.
I really went back and forth before I decided to do the CNM route. In retrospect I am glad I did, although the CPM thing still appeals to me in many ways. I had my daughter at home with CPMs, and love the philosophy. But I personally wanted to do more full-scope, public health-type care and be able to reach all women from all walks of life, so the CNM route won out in the end. I also will be the sole breadwinner for my family when I am out of school, so that was an issue for me as well. It is interesting to think that I personally would not choose to birth in a hospital with CNMs, but am learning to help women do just that. The CNMs I am learning from are amazing, gifted, loving and generous women.

S.
post #159 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
Hey wonderful women! Guess where I just got back from? Birth #2!!!! I'm running on 40 min. of sleep. I got to be primary/only assistant for this birth. It went very smoothly and beautifully. One interesting thing that I witnessed: The BOW was bulging out while she was pushing. The baby had passed some mec and I could see it swirling around in the water! Babe was vigorous though gurgley. Pinked up great. So no ill effects of the mec. It was just kinda neat to see. Biggest thing I learned: That it wasn't her mucous plug, it was the outer layer of the amniotic sac that had burst and was coming out. The inner layer was still intact. It seriously looked like a long thick mucous glob. Oops!
wow, that's exciting!
The first birth I attended solo (3rd overall) the mama 'birthed' the BOW just like that. it was really trippy. and she'd been having a prolonged labour, and when the BOW came out, she had this tennis-ball sized bubble coming out, all swirling with waters. then it popped and it was like this amazing release of energy. in that moment we fully understood what Ina May was talking about "psychedelic" all the time
and sending patient vibes to your DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
OH MY GOSH you guys! I have to tell you something so funny! I was sitting down just now to write an e-mail and Sydney (my 5 year old) picks up Bailliere's Midwives' Dictionary. She turns to the page on Caldwell-Moloy's classification of pelvises and says, "Look mom! Stingrays!!"

that's hillarious.
4.5 yo DD lately saw a page on episiotomies, and she started crying! She said that only naughty doctors cut the vagina because they dont know that its wrong.
She was sooooo angry about it too
(i've got no idea where she gets it from :
post #160 of 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarahb View Post
I really went back and forth before I decided to do the CNM route. In retrospect I am glad I did, although the CPM thing still appeals to me in many ways. I had my daughter at home with CPMs, and love the philosophy. But I personally wanted to do more full-scope, public health-type care and be able to reach all women from all walks of life, so the CNM route won out in the end. I also will be the sole breadwinner for my family when I am out of school, so that was an issue for me as well. It is interesting to think that I personally would not choose to birth in a hospital with CNMs, but am learning to help women do just that. The CNMs I am learning from are amazing, gifted, loving and generous women.
S.
I have flip-flopped a lot on the CPM or CNM issue myself (as you know, Sarah). Koru, I am also settling on CNM for today but I have few years before I decide. What draws me to CNM is very similar to Sarah – full-scope care and primary breadwinner issues are important to me specifically. Also each of the births of my two daughters played a huge role in my thinking. I totally turned from medicalized birth after my first daughter (who I gave birth to) was born in a hospital with a terrible OB. I was angry and wanted to completely separate myself from that type of birth. Three years later at the height of my radical natural birth focus my second daughter was born (my partner gave birth) by c-section for footling breech presentation with hemorrhaging caused by placenta accreta. She totally NEEDED the medical management and that fact opened in me a little space for my true voice to be found. Instead of choosing CPM as a reaction to my anger, I am allowing myself to imagine that CNM could be wonderful for me. Maybe it will, maybe I will resettle on the CPM path later, but for now I am finding that my inner voice is telling me to lighten up a bit on my grip on being super-crunchier-than-thou and let myself be more middle-of-the-road. This is what is true for me. Although a lot of the past few years have been uncomfortable for me because I have been impatient to start studying midwifery, I can see now that the delay is the time I need to grow. I have a few more years before there is room in my life for midwifery school, so much more growth expected!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth Professionals
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Birth Professionals › Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!!